Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 09:33 AM

7 posts, read 18,298 times

Advertisements

Much has been said about the Vancouver area trying to move out of the shadow of Portland and trying to establish its own identity. I can understand this from the perspective of 1) community pride and 2) a desire to establish a solid local economy, unaffected by the ups and downs of Portland. So, I can respect and appreciate that concern.

I am near retirement and considering moving to the Vancouver area. Obtaining employment won’t be an issue. I think Portland sounds like a spectacular place. Relocating to Vancouver, however, makes more sense to me because I can avoid the state income tax, acquire more land at a more reasonable price and not have to deal with the headaches of a purely urban lifestyle.

That being said, how difficult is it for a Vancouver resident to participate in all the great things Portland has to offer? How hard or easy is it to pop into Portland? What kind of travel time? Is it possible to find parking? Is there any public transportation from Vancouver to Portland? Is there a huge aggravation factor?

Is living in Vancouver and traveling to Portland any more difficult than getting to Portland from the Oregon suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 11:30 PM

17 posts, read 67,222 times
Hi. I just moved here at the start of May, and I love it. It's gorgeous, the people are fantastic and friendly and although Portland is very cool -- Vancouver is really nice and a lot less $$$.

How difficult is it for a Vancouver resident to participate in all the great things Portland has to offer?

Remarkably easy.

How hard or easy is it to pop into Portland?
Really easy. It's a short hop.

What kind of travel time?Outside of rush hour the traffic isn't bad at all -- I can get downtown Portland from downtown Vancouver in 15 minutes. At rush hour -- it's slower going on the 5, so maybe living off the 205 would be an easier commute depending on what and where you want to go.
If there's traffic -- add 10-15 minutes more -- 20-30 if there is road construction or an accident complicating matters.

Is it possible to find parking?
I've never had any issues.

Is there any public transportation from Vancouver to Portland?
Yes. Buses will get you into town and to MAX (light rail) stations.

Is there a huge aggravation factor?
Not as far as I can tell -- public transit here seems clean, safe, runs close to on-time, and is overall very good and it's taken by everyone from all walks of life.

Is living in Vancouver and traveling to Portland any more difficult than getting to Portland from the Oregon suburbs?
Not in my limited experience -- but if one of the bridges were out -- due to say...an accident or construction -- it would be very slow/highly congested. When my husband comes home from work in his suburban setting, there's far more congestion on surface streets coming in from Portland and going out to portland than out towards Vancouver, so I don't think it's much more difficult.

I'd recommend renting before buying though -- so that you are sure it's the right choice for you.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:24 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,804,817 times
As someone who tries to do this--it really is doable. It's not the same as having the real deal, but it's doable. You just have to really like driving.

Yes, you may be able to get to downtown in 15 minutes, but if you factor in your time from your house to the freeway, then time spent navigating downtown, finding a parking space (usually only a problem Friday and Saturday nights or when there is an event in the area--which you might be attending, though in Northwest parking is nearly impossible), and walking to your final destination... You've probably lost a total of 30-40 minutes.

If you are seeing to things on the East Side, parking is almost never a problem, though in certain neighborhoods it can be (Alberta, Hawthorne, Belmont mainly).

You won't find the vibrant cultural experience of Portland in Vancouver, though it is more affordable, definitely. Portland has areas that are not weighed down by the totally urban experience, though you will likely be shelling out for those areas still. Vancouver is very suburban in flavor, and it's very individual whether the 'living in Vancouver/participating in Portland' routine would work for you or not.

In your situation I would say the benefits of Oregon side suburbs are not great enough to outweigh the positives of living in Vancouver (cheaper, no income tax) if you are going to be in the suburbs, though I have some personal preference for Beaverton out of all of Portland's suburbs, but Vancouver is generally pleasant.

I will say that if they ever start construction on the Columbia Crossing (I-5 bridge) I would not want to be spending a lot of time going back and forth... And I won't be in Vancouver long enough for that.

I wish you well and good luck.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ski junkie View Post
I am near retirement and considering moving to the Vancouver area. ... How hard or easy is it to pop into Portland?

What kind of travel time? Is it possible to find parking? Is there any public transportation from Vancouver to Portland? Is there a huge aggravation factor?

as a retiree, EZ
7 minutes downtown Portland to downtown Vancouver (I-5, no rush hr) or 45 min via MAX for same route. Plenty of express buses. C-Tran

eastside Vancouver (Fisher Landing area (164th Ave and SR 14)
10 min to airport, 20 min to downtown Portland (no traffic) or 40 min via Express Bus (C-Tran).

I seldom have a problem with parking, within the downtown area of Portland is free MAX. EZ to get around once there.

As a retiree, I attend many cultural events and parks in Portland (often go 3-4x / week).

It is about the same as coming from Portland suburbs. (Depends on where originating in each place).

BTW... Vancouver has a terrible amount of stoplights and can be quite slow to traverse. Thus LOCATION and access to freeway is IMPORTANT.

I have great access to SR14 (3 min), BUT I would hate to live in NE or NW Vancouver and be fighting traffic LIGHTS for 20 min (not terrible). I will drive to Portland for supplies rather than up 164th or 192nd ave, or across 78th or 134th Street. To slow, too much fuel is spent.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:00 PM

Thanks, so much, MM, BD + SR for your thoughtful and helpful comments. Now I have a much better feel for making the trip from Vancouver to Portland. I'm not exactly sure how much I would be commuting, but now I know that it won't be an ordeal.

I've been doing a lot of research and note that there are stores on the island beneath the I5 bridge between Vancouver on Portland. Is there access from the I5 and I205 bridges to the islands? It looks like a park under the I205 bridge. What's under the I5 bridge?

Thanks for your help. I'm going to have a lot more questions.

ski junkie

Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,838,159 times
Quote:
I've been doing a lot of research and note that there are stores on the island beneath the I5 bridge between Vancouver on Portland. Is there access from the I5 and I205 bridges to the islands? It looks like a park under the I205 bridge. What's under the I5 bridge?

ski junkie
That's Hayden Island under i5. It's actually a very popular shopping area, Jantzen Beach. I know people who park their cars there and take public transportation into PDX. There's a RV park there as well. And people do live on it.

For 205... there isn't an off ramp for that. You boat into it.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:

ski junkie
Alert us to your hobbies / interests / activities / desired housing and we can plug you into more info that will help in the decision.

Basically Portland has a pretty good freeway system with some alternative routes when necessary. You can get to most of the suburbs and activities within 1/2 hr from Vancouver. (I used to swim in Beaverton while living in Hazel Dell) (the only 50M pool around). The worst continual spot for VAncouver dweller is northbound I-5 out of Portland from Lombard to I-5 "interstate" Bridge just avoid that (delta park), especially after 1pm on a Friday. Outbound I-84 (and I-5 south) can be tight in the afternoons. I get my stuff done by 2 pm on weekdays. If I run late I stop at one of the many microbreweries for happy hour (to eat cheap of course... can't drink due to CDL license, Zero tolerance for commercial drivers. I might need a job someday (hope not)

long time ago... ~ 1984 the I-5 drawbridge went up on a very hot Memorial Day, and it EXPANDED and would not go down. Fire boats had to soak it for several hours to get it to close. Fortunately 205 bridge "Glenn Jackson" had opened in 1982. Pre-I-205 'old timers' have some real battle stories about having to go to Longview or Cascade Locks to get home from Portland on a bad day.

There are some 'favorite' spots for housing in Vancouver, depending on you tastes. For a short term rental I know many folks have enjoyed Crystal Creek Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Vancouver apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

It is very convenient and central. And a beautiful park to the rear. (That is where I had a berry farm when I fought the county for putting in the apts...) I escaped to the Columbia Gorge Scenic area so now I'm federally protected (my view and my own house colors...) good and bad...

Let us know what you like.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 PM

Thanks, again, for your input. Interesting anecdote about the day the drawbridge wouldn't close. The warmth of the people of the Portland area, in any of my limited contacts, has been truly remarkable

Vancouver is becoming the leading contender for my relocation choice when my impending retirement rolls around. The Portland/Vancouver (P/V) area seems to be a recreational paradise for the active outdoorsman. I hope to be spending a lot of time in the outdoors. As you have probably surmised, I love to ski. I'm a certified PSIA instructor and hope to spend much of the winter as an instructor or ski patroller. I would think Mt Hood Meadows would be the most likely place, if they'll have me. I would expect that it wouldn't be too difficult to also get over to Mt Bachelor and Crystal Mountain. P/V is centrally located where it would be drivable to get up to Whistler or the other areas in BC, or Sun Valley or even Lake Tahoe. I've been looking at the websites of the Bergfreunde and Mountain High ski clubs and it looks like they have very active and interesting all year programs.

Besides skiing, I also want to kayak, mountain bike, play golf, hike and back pack. Occasionally getting to the ocean would be nice. The Oregon coast is gorgeous. River kayaking would be great and I read about kayaking in the Ridgefield Preserve. Whitewater rafting or kayaking on the White Salmon and other local rivers would also be a blast. I'd love to scuba dive in Crater Lake and I'd be interested to hear if there are other dive sites around or local dive clubs. I'm sure there are bike clubs and some spectacular places to bike. With plenty of courses, golf should also be no problem. If I'm feeling really adventurous I'd also consider playing hockey, again. I see there are a few rinks around but I haven't checked to see if they have any Over 40 divisions in their men's leagues.

I would also consider taking classes at one of the area colleges and if I'm not too busy playing around, I might consider trying to get a teaching job at one of these colleges. I've done that before and found it fulfilling.

Of course, housing is a major issue. At today's prices Vancouver is very reasonable. One can only sympathize with people who banked their entire financial future on continually rising housing prices. The escalation was unreasonable and had to reverse itself. I don't see the pre bust prices coming back for a long, long time, if ever. They were unsustainable and only people who didn't have to worry about money could afford housing. Now prices are coming back to earth. I still don't believe they've hit bottom and I think we could easily see another 10 or 15% drop.

Certainly, renting before buying would be wise until one has a better feel for the neighborhoods. I would be coming out with my wife and 23 year old daughter. I know unemployment is sky high in Portland and I assume it's the same in Vancouver. So, I hope she could get a job. She's working now as a paralegal but is flexible. Last year she finished a 5 year program in zoo management and technology. After her bachelors work in zoology she spent 2 years at the country's only accredited teaching zoo. She worked with hundreds of monkeys, eagles, deer, ocelots, caracals and every manner of critter. Maybe she could get something working with animals. My 20 year old son is still in grad school, in the east, and after graduation would probably head to New York City to start a career in finance.

Real estate and housing is a whole 'nother topic which I think should be a new thread. I'll try to get to that, tomorrow, but my time is kind of tight. I still have the day job and I'm up to my eyeballs in volunteer work.

I would think the preceding more than answers you question abut my hobbies, interests and leisure activities. Any comments you folks could make would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks SR for the link to the apartment ratings site. Wow, what a lot of unhappy tenants. Before I make any judgments I'll have to look into whether tenants are happy anywhere. It's real easy to be miserable but life is largely what you make it.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:26 PM

OK, thx, and You have a great hobby set for our area. Maybe kite-boarding is in your future, I have a 70 yr old ex boss that liked it so much he built a home in White Salmon (which may be to your taste too).

My kids were each instructors at Meadows during HS & college. It is a great place with lots of variety. They got to know and do lots of backcountry and still go there when they are home. One of mine is a financial analyst in Seattle and has a pretty great job for this region. CFA test #2 last week... There is a pretty good diverse group of positions in Seattle area. Baker and Whistler are regular stops on the ski circuit. By my retired friends in Colorado seem to have the best situation with multi area season passes. + they go to Utah and rent an apartment for Feb every yr. Full time skiing (very lonely ) they took a picture of the parking lot mid week. 3 cars Theirs, lift operator and rental store owner.

Consider White Salmon (Stevenson is nice and has an indoor lap pool !!!!! (very rare in SW WA)) BUT it rains a lot in Stevenson, White Salmon starts the nice weather area.(Is ~ 1hr from downtown Portland.) Trout Lake, WA is even better, but a bit remote for most (and snowy most of winter). The Klicktat and White Salmon are great rivers for you. (1 hr from Vancouver, or 5 and 20 min from White Salmon). Hood River is the town of choice in the area, but very tough home prices as it is pretty land locked (scenic area + river + mtns + national forest) and very popular for Insitu and Google employees.

'The Gorge' has a GREAT amount of energy and economic activity and is quite the 'happening place' Lots of resources online.
Here are some things I'm involved with.
Join | Columbia River Gorge Visitors Association
Gorge Grown Food Network - Supporting local, sustainable food in the Columbia Gorge Region
Columbia Gorge Wine Growers | Award winning Oregon and Washington Wine
MCEDD - Mid-Columbia Economic Development District - Index
Gorge Technology Alliance - Encouraging Entrepreneurs to Invent and Prosper
CGBREZ
Columbia Gorge Community College

And this is a very short list of available stuff.

Biking!!
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/BIKEP...keMap.pdf?ga=t
Bicycle Path - Mosier to Hood River via bike path at Bikely.com

Beach !! (40 minutes west of Portland)
hug point - Google Search

Lots to do and lots of places to go...

You might need to get yourself a 'StealthRabbit'. I saw a grease conversion (complete car) in Mosier for $400 a few weeks ago (free fuel!!!). But @ 50 mpg in a $35 Rabbit, I can still afford to GO to all these nice places!

Old 06-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Thanks, again, StealthRabbit. Lots of well researched and valuable info. I'll review it carefully.

Congratulations on your son and I hope he passes the test. My son will be taking two graduate classes, in the next year of school, which are essentially CFA prep courses. If he can pass the first test before he graduates that would be a big leg up. Clearly, Seattle has just about everything. I've considered moving there for the past 30 years. However, now that I'm getting serious about the relocation, Portland/Vancouver (P/V) seems to be moving ahead of every place else.

One of the guys from my ski group moved to Dillon, CO, a few years ago. Got a job as a fireman and loves it. Does most of his skiing at Arapahoe Basin but also gets around to other areas. Last year he was exercising on a weight machine at the firehouse when it came loose from the wall and landed on him. Freak accident. His broken nose and ribs are healing nicely.

The Denver area has been a big contender for me. My thoughts are that Dillon is too remote. It's a small ski town. The Denver suburban area is more attractive but a little too far for a day ski trip. Vancouver is a little closer to Mt Hood Meadows but much, much closer to the big city. Biggest consideration is that P/V housing/real estate prices seem to be more reasonable.

Obviously, you're a big fan of relocating to the Gorge area. No one has greater credibility about relocating to a particular area than someone who made their own relocation and still enjoys living there. You mentioned White Salmon. I want to kayak there but as to living, I would think it's too remote. I'm going to visit it, however, on my trip. As to the Gorge area closer to Camas and Washougel, I remember some of your prior comments on the forum. One caveat is the icy cold high winds coming down the Columbia from the Rockies and Canada. I'm perfectly comfortable sleeping in a tent, in the dead of winter, on 6 feet of snow. Nevertheless, I'd rather not get hit in the face with an icy cold high wind when I walk out the front door of my house. I also remember some of your comments about possibly weird neighbors towards Skamania County. That doesn't sound too appealing.

I also have to consider the length of my daughter's commute should she be working in either Portland or Vancouver. I, myself, would like to pop into Portland, on occasion, without too much of a hassle. I've found some very attractive houses with some land north and northwest of Camas. Even there, I question the travel time to Portland. You've commented on the many stoplights that really lengthen the commute time.

I've spent a lot of time on the internet researching properties. I have more questions on houses and property but I think that would be best for a separate post. I'll try to get to that one ASAP.

All of your comments are greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area