Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

go by plane from Hillsboro Airport to Grove Field. It will take about 10 minutes Leave a $35 Stealth Rabbit parked at each end and enjoy the trip. Hundreds of folks make the daily commute, you could get some plane-poolers (and a $xxx,xxx GRANT from the desperate CW port and economic development district )

More conventional route... change your shift to swing, It is GREAT especially if you homeschool kids (as many Camas folks do) , BUT... if the kids are in traditional school, then work Graveyard. It is (was) wonderful to have every day off !!. No sense burning daylight inside a company with lights. Not dinking around with whining dayshifters and nosy bosses will make work THAT much more tolerable. Shift pay premium (for avoiding all this garbage), can be as high as 30% !!! I 'retired at age 49 thx in part to 'shift premium', tho I HIGHLY recommend retiring while kids are adolescents and live overseas so they can get a "REAL" (and valuable) education. You can always go back to the 'Salt mines' when the kids leave home. Fortunately, my company 'sponsored' my international living

Think about it... 'off shift' commute can be very EZ. Watch out for the 'drunks' and 'axe murderers' (typical 'night' shift worker... )

I would not work a 6a-4p shift with a 2 hr commute if I valued my family time, but FAR WORSE things happen in life...(BTDT... 'eldercare w/ disabilities' for 30+yrs) Kids are very resilient (thank goodness). Spouses... not so much Us personally... WAY too rigid / analytical

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-16-2011 at 11:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 03:55 PM

323 posts, read 321,672 times
We relocate in 6 months. Would move to Hillsboro ASAP, but have a home to sale that is underwater. Mabe I'll try FBO at what I payed for the house 4 years ago. Sure it wouldn't be priced correctly, but better than not trying.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organicgreen;20314343... I love everything about Camas, especially the schools. I know the commute is a nightmare, but hear a lot of folks do this commute everyday. ...really don't care for the area. I know I will miss out on quality time with the kids if I do the commute and really don't want that to happen.
[B
What would you do if you were in my shoes? Any feedback is greatly appreciated[/b].
Quote:
Mabe I'll try FBO at what I payed for the house 4 years ago. Sure it wouldn't be priced correctly, but better than not trying
Mine (Washougal) is worth slightly less than it was in 1996. (Taxes are $12,000/yr, tho in 1996 they were $1200/ yr)

Advice....
1) price it right and roll, (must be priced with the repos / short sale / movers)

2) No kids / school connections (yet), rent out Camas (or let the bank have it) and get something over there (west hills...)

3) If you HAVE Kid / school Camas connection...Do a 3 day work week in Hillsboro + 1/2 day from home (Camas). Rent a sleeping room in a house of a senior couple in Hillsboro (walking distance to work).

4) ... one of the MANY plans I can't express in a public forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area