U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 08-20-2011, 01:08 PM

19 posts, read 22,799 times
Question Can't decide on Portland or Vancouver... moving cross-country. Help!

I was born and raised in a small town in Washington State (Tenino). When I turned nineteen, I moved to Houston Texas for a little adventure and ended up staying for four years (but not for any reason having to do with the city itself). I am ready to move back to the West Coast and be closer to my family.

I am torn between Portland or Vancouver. I am a female in my early twenties. I have five years experience as a food server, one year experience in fine dining. I am trying to get back into school though, a technical/medical degree in diagnostic medical sonography has struck my interest as of late.

I enjoy living in the city and being so close to everything, but plan on making many trips north to Castle Rock, WA to visit my family.

If I could find an apartment with trash, garbage, and water included for under $620 that was also SAFE and in a happenin' area, I would be ecstatic.

- Schools
- Good night life when I need a break from my fairly introverted lifestyle (I'm a big-time gamer/nerd)
- Safe area for a young single woman
- Good area for jobs in the food service industry

I will have a car, but I am left completely confused as to where to take the next step in deciding where to go... Vancouver or Portland? I know they are only across a bridge from each other, but I also believe from what I have read that they are quite different.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Some of the things I did not like about Houston:

The crime (I had a gun put to my face in the mailroom a couple months ago)
The ghetto areas and people
How "dirty" the city feels (the air smells like cancer)
The humidity (ew, sticky)
There is almost TOO much going on here.

Any advice or help in trying to find a nice place for me to move to would be MUCH appreciated. I have never spent a lot of time in either area and just want to find a good fit for me.

Thanks so much!
Joelle

Last edited by aluckyducky; 08-20-2011 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-20-2011, 04:05 PM

141 posts, read 180,789 times
We recently moved to the area from AZ and found that rent in Vancouver is much more affordable than it is in Portland. Of course there drive is a total drag in rush hour, so once we get more settled in financially we may make the move across the river, but it's a good spot for now anyways. You would definitely need to drive to PDX for a night life and fancy restaurants though.

Unread 08-27-2011, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 48,382 times
I've lived both places and found that Vancouver & Portland rents are similar. Prices are only higher in the downtown Portland area.

Portland would fit you much better. There are more schools, more & better restaurants and similar crime rates in some areas, according to the statistics.

As far as my personal experience, I experienced NO crime in the 3 years I lived in Portland but I've been plagued with it in Vantucky. The police know me by name. In just the last year my car was smashed in a parking lot by a hit & run driver, I was attacked by a tweaker walking home, my purse was stolen, the thief came back with my keys and took my car, and at my business absolutely EVERYTHING in the back has been stolen twice, even when locked down.

The second biggest problem I have with Vantucky is the people that live here. They're boring, old (and act it even when they're chronologically young), terribly unfriendly, and spend their times sequestered in their suburban prisons. It's NOT a "happening place". I tried to bring some night life to this boring town but failed miserably. Last week I had a wonderful live event at my club. Over 90 people RSVP'd but less than a dozen actually bothered to show. So they're liars on top of being boring.

People in Portland actually go outside and mingle, and often. I would NEVER recommend Vantucky to a young person like you.

Unread 08-30-2011, 07:19 PM

8,710 posts, read 19,164,709 times
If you live and work in WA, you don't pay OR income tax. If you shop mostly in Portland, you don't pay WA sales tax...just something to think about.

Unread 08-31-2011, 10:39 AM

9,997 posts, read 15,338,746 times
Since you are a WA native, I feel you will be much happier in Vancouver. Portland is ez and fun to visit, OR politics and intensive culture can wear on a person, and Vancouver is not so intense.

I would look to apartments in the Fishers Landing area (SE 164th Ave and SE 34th St) or near Meadows Golf course NE 78th and Andresen. I would steer clear of east 4th plain. I-5 to I 205

Directly downtown adjacent to Ester Short Park is about as 'hopping' as it gets in Vancouver, but you need to deal with the homeless. For a single gal, that might be an issue and you would be more comfortable in a calmer area. I like being able to access Portland from either 205 or I-5, (depending on traffic / time of day / activity / destination.

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:33 PM

7,606 posts, read 8,377,597 times
Just how pervasive is the Vantucky aspect these days?

25 years ago, yeah, I'd have to admit it.

But how about now?

We are looking at "across the river" again.

The usual attractions related to the tax structure as we plan for life after the main parts of our careers.

Unread 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM

9,997 posts, read 15,338,746 times
Quote:
VantuckySux
um... that name should tell the story. There are +/- for each area / age situation, but the information is plentiful to make an 'informed' decision.

Taxes and 'second half' of life / career make WA look better for many. Do be SURE to understand the property tax issues in BOTH places. NEVER buy a place ANYWHERE without FIRST talking to the county tax assessor). No income tax, is not a deal breaker when you have NO INCOME!. But... I could not deal with OR politics and policies, so wil stay income tax free, probably be changing domicile to SD eventualy, but will keep at least one place in WA, and in TX, and TN. (I don't do FL or NH, but would do WY or SD also. They are too far from airport for me at this time... when I'm older, they may work out.)

AK is probably the BEST state tax wise. But costly to travel back and forth.

Unread 03-25-2013, 10:15 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,748,563 times
To me, Vancouver just seems like suburbia, without some of the usual suburban shopping opportunities. There are places to eat out, but mostly they are chains. The great dining scene you find in Portland is nonexistent here. But it feels pretty typical for what it is.

Of course Vancouver is not a bedroom community for Portland. Or is it? We do go to downtown Van, but not for serious business or to be entertained in any way. We would probably go to Portland. But going there to a museum or show is really hard.

You just have to balance out the things that are important to you.

I have to say that we are surprised at the amount of random crime here. The hit and runs, the home invasions. But they exist on both sides of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area