Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:24 PM
GSH

2 posts, read 6,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Vancouver WA is just a large grid shaped area of vapid suburbia. Fairly livable, but boring.
Not my part of town. We have great arts events, urban farms, lots of small businesses & home businesses, active writers' groups and a fairly diverse population - not like the large cities I've lived in such as Seattle, DC & Dallas, but growing more diverse each year.

Anyone interested in this type of environment should check out houses in the Hough, Arnada, Carter Park, Uptown Village, Esther Short & Columbia neighborhoods. They're easy to miss if you're speeding by on I-5 because you don't see them from the freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 10:57 AM

34 posts, read 50,867 times
I don't like the weather. It rains most of the time. It can rain for weeks on end at times. Not always dumping sometimes just a light rain or sprinkle but none the less.

You spend a lot of times in doors, because the weather is nearly always bad.

Not really that much to do honestly, Van Mall, not really impressive though with Cinetopia finally opening up, who knows it may just save the place. You have your typical chain stores, restaurants, ect. Some farmer's market, you are within a short to few hours drive of an endless amount of out door stuff to do (But remember, the weather isn't nice all that often! So unless you like to do out door stuff in the rain lol). Couple hours to a beach.

Generally I would say the population is a bit grumpy, and sometimes rude. Though I've lived on the east coast, and in some areas I would say those people are rude. So I will call us grumpy. I blame this mostly on the weather. We just don't get enough sun during the nice month and a half to last us the rest of the year. (I used to love the weather, green, ect. then I moved somewhere that had more sun, and realize how much I love it).

Traffic. Traffic can be really bad going into and out of Portland (more to do over there), during high traffic times, the 10-15 min drive can take 2 hours sometimes more.

Vancouver is growing fast, with it a lot of big City problems are becoming more prevalent I think. Crime is going up IMO, which is probably two fold, increase in population, and the economy is still pretty horrible nearly everywhere. Though I wouldn't really consider Vancouver to be dangerous,. I probably wouldn't roam the streets at night alone too much, but I'm also a girl so, and there are certainly some areas I wouldn't feel comfortable living in, same with any other city.

Jobs are tough to come by like every where else, though probably not as bad as some other areas.

Allergies, with lots of rain, comes lots of flowers and other plant life. Lots of pollen, among other allergens, so those can be an issue for some people.

There are a lot worse places to live that's for sure. If you can deal with weather and being more in doors, don't under estimate how depressive the weather can be. There are lots of people who have lived here their whole lives that have sad enough is enough. It seems to have only started raining more and more over the years.

While we don't have the best Restaurants around we do have a lot of fresh food available in the PNW. You can grow a variety of things yourself (if you're into that thing). If the weather is nice enough, just the year before last I think almost every home gardener was complaining they only saw 1 or 2 red tomatoes the whole season lol.

Last edited by LacedButterfly; 06-21-2012 at 12:16 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 11:08 AM

506 posts, read 958,395 times
I found Vancouver to be a bit boring. The land was much flatter than where I'm from and all of the excitement was in Portland. I guess it's a okay place to live if you work in Portland or go to school there. But overall, I like the Puget Sound area of WA more.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 PM

19 posts, read 37,446 times
Wink lmao!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanc1 View Post
I would strongly disagree with those saying Vancouverites are "dumb" or boring. As another stated, if you don't put yourself out there, you'll be miserable anywhere. You have to take a chance and socialize. I would never say this is the whitest big city in America. I came from Boise, Idaho. They have twice the population of Vancouver and it was still shocking to see anyone not of pale complexion walking down the street in the fifteen LONG years of my life there. I relocated here from a city where it is dry and sunny much of the time. I appreciate the moss and green. If you don't run screaming indoors ever time you see a cloud, you will do fine.
If you want to get an idea of the social outlets, look at Meetup.com. There are literally thousands of social groups who actually gather in real life on there. There is a lot of night life in Portland for anyone during the winter and plenty even here in Vancouver during the summer. Almost every day between May and Oct. there is something going on in downtown Vancouver.
I do have to agree with the sentiment that we have a lot of bonds, taxes, etc. I may not agree with all of it, but life is good here nonetheless.
I don't know where those who are claiming personal theft lived, but I have been in the NE end of Vancouver going on six years and never been robbed. I have had a couple of neighbors whose vehicles were broken into but that was all the same couple of kids from two blocks over at our old house. Everyone knew who the culprits were and it never happened again. Is Vancouver perfect? Not by any means. However I would move here all over again given the choice. I have lived eighteen places from the west coast to the east coast and in-between and no place suits me as well. The people here are warm, friendly and supportive of their communities.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
cracking up over the running inside screaming at a cloud's appearance. funny...

Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 AM

101 posts, read 327,917 times
Del Taco has now closed,thats it.I`m moving before the Rain Festival starts in october.I need Del Taco and In N Out burgers.Vantucky has a wendys on every corner,yuk

Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
We have been here almost one month. We like it. We wish we could find a house to buy. But mostly we like it. (See my thread about what I like about Vancouver.)

A few complaints:

drinking water tastes and smells strongly of chlorine

numbering of N/S and E/W streets. I find this weird and difficult.

Driving SE 164th. Frankly, its a mess.

I wish for more to explore in downtown Vancouver. (Perhaps someone can enlighten me?)

But that's about all. Neither of us wishes to be back in our old haunts. I am, until now, a lifelong resident of St. Louis (MO) County. Although I am still learning my way around, I feel very at home here.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
...A few complaints:

drinking water tastes and smells strongly of chlorine - can't help I have always been on my own well. Go to Grovers and get a LARGE charcoal filter (time for water to saturate)

numbering of N/S (Ave) and E/W streets. I find EZ

Driving SE 164th. Frankly, its a mess. Sorry, price of progress (I don't use 164th or 192nd, cuz I can't stand stopights. (BTW: 164th was a 2 lane road with a 4-way stop at Mill Plain and 2way STOP at 4th plain when I showed up... not doing 'traffic' myself..., growth is painful

I wish for more to explore in downtown Vancouver....I feel very at home here.
Participate (volunteer) at community events (plenty in Summer).

Volunteer at Library, VA, or WA State Extension (ex- county poor farm).

Do the 'volkswalks'

Go to Museum, especially on "history nights' (first Thursday?)

Volunteer at Ft Vancouver (I helped establish Heritage Garden and Orchard ~ 20+ yrs ago)

Participate with events at Ft Vancouver and Pearson Air Museum.

Help at WA Blind School.

Take time to visit, buy, and talk with downtown (and uptown) merchants and cafes.

Lots to do, so little time.

BTW: History Pub at Kennedy school, Portland, concordia area. is really good too.

MAKE SURE to NOT MISS the Skamania County Fair ~ 15-19 Aug. It is a gem. Good 4-H presence and FREE. You can take Skamania transit from Fisher Landing for ~$2 (that is the ultimate bargain for a 40 mile trip (One way)

Old 07-31-2012, 03:18 PM

473 posts, read 2,754,941 times
The nitty gritty of it is simple. If you don't like rain...if it is something that damns you to your home, something you can't drive in, or still function and go about your life in...don't move anywhere within the Pacific NW, you will go mad with boredom.

Now on the other hand, you want to be surrounded by, and within short drive away from, some of the most gorgeously stunning natural green forests in the country, as well as almost every outdoor activity imaginable, and you don't mind (sometimes even enjoy) doing those things in the rain...You'll love it here.

Not once has the rain kept me indoors. I still go out and camp, fish, hike, and do errands in the rain. But that's me...and I rather be cold and wet than roasted and dry. I hate heat. Everyone else's mileage may vary.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Not afraid of rain. It didn't stop me in MO and I can't see it stopping me here. My hair will be awfully wavy though.

Lots of good thoughts, Stealth. I volunteered in MO and I intend to do so here, but right now my full time job is to find a house.

The last Co Fair I attended was in rural IN and I was frankly bored stiff. Never again. I simply know nothing about livestock. I don't care about 4H activities. (Sorry)

I have visited Ft Vancouver and found it moderately interesting. DH found the aviation museum pretty interesting too.

Things I have to do: register to vote, get a WDL, get a library card, visit the Portland Art Museum to see the Monets and the California Impressionists.

But what's to do in downtown Vancouver?

Old 08-03-2012, 02:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Be sure to also get a Multnomah Library card (reciprocity) I use mine a lot for research.

I enjoy the Portland Art Museum Library (for free). Wed I spend the mornings in Portland (reed college for free rehearsals of CMNW) and afternoons at Art Museum Library and other venues nearby (farmer market, OR hist society, free PSU lectures...). Then up to Washington Park and Pennisula Park for roses, free concerts...

I do very little in Downtown Vancouver (since I live in the WA Gorge), I use 205 to go to Portland several x / week. I did utilize much in Downtown Vancouver, when I lived that direction (had a farm in Hazel Dell). BUT our interests are FAR different. I'm happy to go sleep in the shade on a picnic table along Officers Row. I enjoyed swimming at Memory Pool doing 72 laps every lunch break. That joint mysteriously burnt down shortly after they found asbestos. (circa 1985). Unless you are into history and voluteering, I cn't think of what to do in downtown Vancouver. Maybe run for Mayor, or join Police Force. I'm sure there are both Downtown and Uptown committees / teams to enhance offerings in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area