Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:25 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,609 times

Advertisements

Hi and welcome!
So we actually moved here from Nashville but I've also lived in Dallas and San Antonio. I think StealthRabbit has pretty much covered your concerns but I wanted to add a few things.

Crime - really is very minimal here compared to the rest of the country. A shocking difference from Nashville.
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ashington.html

Private Schools - so my kids are in a Catholic school that we love (PM me if you want the name) Even though we aren't Catholic, we like the more conservative approach to education. However, the public schools here are very good and I would be ok with sending my child to them. I never would have considered a public school in TN. Our kids will probably attend Camas High when they are old enough.

Housing - our neighborhood (Lake Pointe, Sunningdale Gardens, Lake Heights, all in Camas) has very nice houses for around your budget. We LOVE our area, I can't say enough good things about it.

Weather - yep it rains. yep the summers are beautiful but cooler than you're used to. I drink a lot of coffee and have more pairs of boots than I ever thought I would! But the beauty of the area, the good people and great community make up for it imo. Many disagree with me!

Politics - more conservative on this side of the river but not Dallas conservative if you know what I mean. They remind me more of New Hampshire conservatives...leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. Gun and property rights conservatives...not so many religious right conservatives, unless you count the apostolic Lutherans and the LDS, of which there are some.

All in all we love living here. I do of course miss sunshine, basements, bluegrass, and good bbq. Feel free to PM me if I can help you out more specifically. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 06:59 PM

611 posts, read 1,204,354 times
Bergette, I am a transplant from the South as well. I've been here for over 20 years and although there are things that I love about Washington, I'm finding the winters more difficult to endure. The weather in western WA really fluctuates. When a friend planned a visit one year and asked me how to pack - I had to tell her to bring shorts and sweaters. I have worn a tank top and shorts one day and July and the next a sweater and jeans. If you really like the heat, you may want to think hard about a move here. We average only 10 days a year over 85 degrees. Yes, people still do things in the rain, but would you still do things in the rain? I was bitterly disappointed in the beaches here when I arrived. The southern Atlantic beaches are sandy and warm. You will find many of these rocky and the water rugged and cold. Oregon does have nicer beaches than Washington. Cannon Beach is very pretty.
Don't get me wrong, many people love Washington but it will be very different than the climate you are accustomed to. Also, as far as swimming - I have never done less swimming since moving here. My son can barely do anything more than doggy paddle and he learned this on a visit to grandparents in SC. Most swim in lakes here which are often cold because we don't get a long enough string of warm days together to warm them up. There are always a number of drownings on record hot days because people still get hypothermic in the water.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady fern View Post
My son can barely do anything more than doggy paddle and he learned this on a visit to grandparents in SC. Most swim in lakes here which are often cold because we don't get a long enough string of warm days together to warm them up.
I learned to swim in Western WA, both in pools and in a lake. You just have to take advantage of the summer!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:22 PM

23 posts, read 61,811 times
This is by FAR the most conservative city in Washington state compared to where I have lived, in point of fact (and no offense) it's why I'm looking at other areas to live because I am a very left liberal and Vancouver has always (lived there on and off the last 21 years) been too GOP for my blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergette View Post
Stealth Rabbit- could you tell me what area this home would be in? 4600 NE 126th Cir, Vancouver, WA 98686 MLS# 11547380 - Zillow. Not wanting to build, but this is the type of home/square ft we'd like....

How did your property search go? Also, look at Marble Falls, which is equally as beautiful!

Oh, one more thing. Are there any conservative people in the area. I probably need to get off of these forums, but it seems like anyone that is not a die hard liberal may be attacked outright! We're not by any means political activists, but do have conservative views.... Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
If you think Vancouver is "by FAR the most conservative city in Washington state" then you need to get out more in the state. It is conservative, especially when you compare it to Portland (but then most cities would end up being more conservative compared to that). But not the most in the state. Vancouver/Clark County went blue the last election, voting for Obama. A lot of exPDX'ers escape to Vancouver to get away from the far left rule and find the Vancouver area to be nicely balanced.

Sounds like Portland's more your kind of town.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:28 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
If you think Vancouver is "by FAR the most conservative city in Washington state" then you need to get out more in the state. It is conservative, especially when you compare it to Portland (but then most cities would end up being more conservative compared to that). But not the most in the state. Vancouver/Clark County went blue the last election, voting for Obama. A lot of exPDX'ers escape to Vancouver to get away from the far left rule and find the Vancouver area to be nicely balanced.

Sounds like Portland's more your kind of town.

Agreed..what about all of Eastern Washington? Vancouver's only "conservative" if you think Portland is moderate. Honestly I consider Clark County a pretty good representation of the country. I've lived in much more conservative areas.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergette View Post
One more thing.... I've found a lot of things pop up on searches about Vancouver, WA saying it is the 'Crystal Meth' capital of the US??? Can someone enlighten me about this. Any truth??
I've heard that - but without much sun, I can see why people would turn to meth.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 PM

541 posts, read 1,729,558 times
Vancouver and Clark County is far more conservative then some other Western Washington counties. Rural Clark County is very conservative, and is a very nice area to explore. Many neat little towns.

King and Pierce counties are the hub of liberals in Washington, and dominate all the rulings in the state, not matter how hard the other 39 counties try. Eastern Washington is conservative, and the rural western counties are as well.

Portland, Oregon is very closed minded. Very liberal. It is their way or the highway. They claim to accept everyone's opinion . . . but only if it is what they agree with. So be careful.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,557 times
Smile Ok

Ok, I am from Vancouver, WA. I'm lived up here for more than 10 years. It rains all the time.
It is cold in winter. I don't like it. We are going to move to Arkansas when my father retires from the Postal Service. Vancouver is usually almost inside of cloudy weather. I wish it was sunny. Why in the world would you want to move up to a climate like this one when you can get so much better weather in california?

Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Transplanted midwesterner here. We are in the middle of our first winter. It has been OK. The natives walk their dogs in all weather! Cold/rainy/whatever. You will want to get a house with a gas fireplace and plan on buying waterproof jackets.

I strongly recommend a visit for as long as you can manage, before moving.

Last summer was sublime. Only a couple or three weeks of real heat. Nothing like what I am used to. There are indeed plenty of all sorts of parks here. Van is a bit shabby, not like Austin, but the setting is beautiful, and you have access to Portland, also a bit shabby, but a lot like Austin. Downtown Portland is great.

If you like neighborhoods, then Portland is the place for you. If you like suburban living then Vancouver is your friend. Affluent suburban living is found in Beaverton.

I hate to break it to you though about Dillards. There isn't one! Closest Dillards is in Boise. I miss that store!

I think you might have a rough adjustment during the winters because they are cold and damp. Not as cold as I am used to, but they are uncomfortable. And the days seem very short. But the worst of this winter didn't last that long. (I don't know about previous winters obviously.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area