Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,000 times

Advertisements

I've gathered a lot of Vancouver info on this site & it sounds like a great town, but much of it is only relevant to families. I'm a 60-ish, active, single, man so my needs are different from most.

What neighborhood should I look at for my first home (rent) in Vancouver? I don't care about schools. I want easy access to a variety of modestly-priced restaurants (preferably non-chain) & an easy drive to central Portland during non-commute hours. I've also heard that airport noise can be a problem in some parts of town. What neighborhoods have the most/least noise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 08:54 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,162,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy46 View Post
I've gathered a lot of Vancouver info on this site & it sounds like a great town, but much of it is only relevant to families. I'm a 60-ish, active, single, man so my needs are different from most.

What neighborhood should I look at for my first home (rent) in Vancouver? I don't care about schools. I want easy access to a variety of modestly-priced restaurants (preferably non-chain) & an easy drive to central Portland during non-commute hours. I've also heard that airport noise can be a problem in some parts of town. What neighborhoods have the most/least noise?

The Lincoln area would be a good choice. It's an older part of town, small houses, established trees and parks and many retirees. It's fairly quiet and you see a lot of people walking around enjoying the neighborhood.

It's a five minute drive to downtown Vancouver and all of it's non-chain stores and restaurants. It's has quick to I-5 and, during non-peak hours, it only takes about fifteen minutes to get into downtown Portland.

There isn't much airport noise, but you may hear a train horn once in a while, especially if your close to the Fruit Valley area.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,985,728 times
depends on your 'outside ' interests.

I would choose area near Ft Vancouver Historical site, as volunteer opportunities + Library, college, swimming, and transit center are within an ez walk, but susceptible to airport noise if this is a major irritant. Lincoln district is quite nice in most areas, but you will have to drive for services.
There are some 'walkable' areas near Salmon Creek / 134th transit mall (but freeway noise). While you're up that way check out the area near Hazel Dell center (off Hazel Dell ave and between 78th and 99th st, also 'walkable'). If you can stand the cold, and have interest in Gorge hiking and views, you can consider Washougal. Camas has a nice inviting Library. If you want milder weather and gardening friendly, consider Ridgefield or Battleground. for 30 minutes to PDX, I'd look at Woodland. If you can tolerate being 45 min from Portland, consider Stevenson (they have a cheap commuter bus to Vancouver) + nice library, scenery, culture and indoor pool ($1.70 !! seniors). I really like the use of public services there, as they are quite friendly and helpful.

The trip to PDX on I-205 can be ez'er than I-5, because you can avoid bridge lifts, congestion, and FUTURE construction + You can stop at a transit center and use MAX to get downtown.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,000 times
Default My interests

To add a little perspective, here's a run-down on my interests & attitudes.

I guess you could say that my taste is somewhat "bohemian". I'm not much interested in gardening or hanging around listening to a bunch of geezers talk about the good old days or showing me pictures of their grandkids. I like hanging out in book stores & coffee shops...all the better if I can walk from home to a small commercial district that has these features. When I go out at night I like listening to live folk or jazz music in smaller venues or making my own music playing guitar and singing at open mic's or attending jam sessions.

I'd like to avoid the typical cookie-cutter suburban neighborhood full of young families, first because having been single all my life, I share very few interests with that demographic and second, modern real estate developments have the most boring architecture in the world. I hate living in a place where there are covenants that determine what color you can paint your house. I'd rather be offended than bored to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area