Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 06:05 PM

7 posts, read 28,108 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating from Seattle area to Amboy. Does anyone have any opinions to offer on:
Is the weather that much different?
What type of recreation is there in the area, in particular horse trails?
Would this area support a B&B or weekend workshop/retreats?
What is the general 'mood' of the town (ie liberal, conservative, other?)
Any and all comments appreciated -thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 PM

45 posts, read 263,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjd1950 View Post
I'm thinking of relocating from Seattle area to Amboy. Does anyone have any opinions to offer on:
Is the weather that much different?
Amboy weather isn't that much different than Portland weather. That is, it tends to be warmer and a bit drier. It's kind of a plains area, so wind is higher. But the basic idea - clouds and drizzle - the Pacific Northwestern mantra - still prevails.

Quote:
What type of recreation is there in the area, in particular horse trails?
Not sure about horse trails, but I do know Lake Merwin and Yale Lake are nearby. There's not any state parks there or anything, but I'm sure there's some small recreational areas along them. It is a big horse area, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are trails.

Quote:
Would this area support a B&B or weekend workshop/retreats?
Swimmingly. It's a bit out of the way, but convenient to I-5 and Portland. It's very remote, space is good and property values are (relatively) moderate.

Quote:
What is the general 'mood' of the town (ie liberal, conservative, other?)
One of the few hardcore Republican parts of western Washington. My voting precinct file indicates the precincts voting at Amboy Middle School were all about 2-to-1 for President Bush. Nearby Yacolt (which you might also want to look at) is similar.

Quote:
Any and all comments appreciated -thanks!
Not much else to add - other than that it's quite a commute to Vancouver (about 28 miles) and Portland (about 37). That having been said, if you're looking for pastoral rural Americana with a slow, traditional atmosphere, but still within easy distance of a major metro, Amboy-Yacolt is probably the best place in western Washington for it.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:31 PM

Thanks Alcon for your replies. Anyone else want to add to this?

In particular I'm thinking of opening a horse and rider B&B and wondering if this area would support it. I know there are great horse trails on the south side of Mount St. Helens. The trail area has a campground, but I know lots of folks would rather not rough it after a day of riding. Other opinions welcome!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,720 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Amboy is a bit off the beaten path (good and bad). It is pretty conservative, and BE CAREFUL about rain, as it has some areas with over 100" rain, twice that of Vancouver. Check the rain map posted in this forum. The County Extension service has detailed soil and rain maps.

I would say you may be short on visitors unless you have a unique destination for folks to come to.

It is 'kinda' on the way to back-country St Helens, as well as 3-4 great reservoirs. BUT... these are destinations in-and-of-themselves that don't attract a large B&B following. (not like being 'on the way to somewhere') Most visitors would be coming from Woodland, and would have to go out of their way to get to Amboy + lots of the boat people camp at the lake. (hassle to pull your boat out and drive to Amboy to stay). I would look into the areas on the way to Rainier and see how they are doing, and realize you may do much less, apart from significant advertising and a drawing card of some kind. Mt Rainier has a distinct advantage in being 'enroute' for travelers both N-S and E-W.

Also check out Campers Hideaway at Lake Merwin (accessible from Amboy), and Alderbrook (NE of Battleground) a 'cooperate' picnic / retreat destination. If you have the passion to do this, do a lot of research AND choose a location that will enhance your business. Amboy may fit the bill, but do your homework. I think prices may be too high (commute distance to Portland) and clientèle too sparse. You also have to realize that if you are within 'striking' distance to major attractions, yet too inconvenient for guests to easily get to them, the guests will just stay nearer to the destinations. (Portland, Mt Rainier, Castle Rock or Packwood (Mt St Helens), Columbia Gorge, Mt Hood, Beach... you have a lot of competition)

Old 08-31-2007, 12:18 PM

Thanks janb - you pointed out things I was thinking about. I'm taking a closer look and will be traveling that way as well to check it out. Actually 503 to Cougar is the road I'd rather be on, but no real estate seems to be available there. I have also thought about 512 to Rainier. We'll see where this goes. Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area