Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 10:22 AM

4 posts, read 9,855 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to the Vancouver/Camas area. His job would be in Camas and I know the schools are supposed to be great there, but we're not seeing any houses we like in our price range. Everything is in a subdivision with NO yard or in need of major repair. We'd like to keep our budget under $300K to make room for savings for our kids (and to have some fun in this beautiful area!).

I've done some school research in Vancouver and have found Felida Elementary and Chinook Elementary to look pretty promising. I'm not sure what the neighborhood is called, but it's the NW corner of the city. There are some decent homes in that area too. Can anyone tell me about his neighborhood? How would the commute be to Camas? Is it worth looking into, or should we just stick to looking at Camas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I vote to stick with Camas (since job is there). The time /. cost savings is important. (I've lived in both but work was in Camas, tho elder care responsibilities North on I-5 (bremerton... lots of trips, sometimes daily)

You don't describe WHAT you want in a house / property for <$300k, so tough to direct you. from what you implied you do not like
Quote:
Everything is in a subdivision with NO yard or in need of major repair.
, I know both areas pretty well and would expect for more NON-SUBDIVISION options in Camas, (a bit of suburbia, mostly rural, some old town, some ritzy) than in Felida / Salmon Creek. (very suburbia with plenty of ritzy, and LOTS of traffic)

Commute to Camas during peak hrs would be ~ 30 minutes (or if living in Camas 5-10 minutes) thus 2 hrs / week (100 hrs / yr) more with family if not commuting, (actually more, if DH has issues that cause him to work long hours or go back to work... You tend to stay @ work, rather than commute home for meals, games, activities, concerts, appointments... BTDT and very sorry for it. (I commuted from near Felida to west Camas for 8 yrs while kids were young. Bad use of time AFAIAC). I missed LOTS of kids and family activities (or was late).

Where are you moving from?, (do you like it or want and change of pace)
what do you like / not like about a community? (community strength / spirit, school participation, culture, arts, main street activities, )
What activities do you want to be involved with? (gardening, hiking, photography...)
What do you expect kids to be involved in? (4H or Gymnastics...)

Old 12-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the info! As far as what I want in a house, I'm trying not to be too picky. I definitely would prefer some character, we used to own a 1940's cape house and LOVED it. I'm not a fan of stuff built in the 80's and 90's, but if it's all I have to choose from and the lot is great, I'd compromise. A big yard is crucial for the kids/gardens/chickens (we have 3 hens).

I've been looking at a few places close to downtown. The nearest school is Helen Baller (I can't hear that without thinking "melon baller") Elementary. Do you know if that's a decent school? I know that Lacamas Heights and Prune Hill are supposed to be great, but I don't know about this one. Also, do you know if the downtown/Crown Park area gets the paper mill smell?

THANKS SO MUCH!

ETA: We're moving from SF but are not Californians. We've only been in CA for a few years and are ready to move on...
Important things for me are strong community, culture, arts, school participation (I'm a former teacher)
Our girls are young and aren't into too much as of yet... just ballet. I'd love them to learn skateboarding, is there a skate park in the area?

Old 12-28-2011, 09:23 PM

these places get my attention and fit your desires for under $150k (probably for under $100k). I prefer 4606 Everett DR, as it has a GREAT lot. + empty lot behind (walk to a GREAT school in 2 minutes). (or via car)Fruit veggie Market 3 minutes, Costco / HD / Walmart 7 minutes; East Vancouver 8 minutes. Camas Skate Park 8-10 minutes via Crown Road. Skate Park - Camas (http://www.ci.camas.wa.us/parks/skate.htm - broken link) NEW High School 5 minutes.
4606 NE EVERETT Dr, Camas, WA 98607 | MLS# 11315149
4749 NE EVERETT Dr, Camas, WA 98607 | MLS# 11070267
I like the location real well as it is very quiet, semi rural but really close-in enclave of older homes (and a few newer) (Hint: you WANT OLDER... much MUCH better for keeping taxes low.) There is much you can do with this lot / house, and it has decent soils and good sunlight. I would buy this baby in a heartbeat. You can fix it up really cheap. I did one (rural home) this summer for $1700 in supplies. (paint, lights, doors, windows, floors, ceiling fans, roof / wood stove repair, plumbing upgrades, driveway, walks...)
Portland Metro and Clark County Habitat for Humanity ReStores
The ReBuilding Center | Quality Used Building and Remodeling Materials | Portland OR
CL & Freecycle

Contractors are working pretty cheap, especially if they can work indoors on a remodel during this time of yr.

You can do wonders with this house / property. Equity will jump 50% with VERY little elbow grease. (I watched the 'fix-up' on 4749 Everett)

Kids, garden and hens are gonna LOVE it here. (so will mom (homey) and dad (immediate equity)...)

hint #2... Use the $200k you saved on this joint, to buy a nice Camas 'senior' duplex and get your payments made for FREE (both properties). In 10 yrs the duplex will be paid off and generating $2500- $3000 / month and you can stay home and feed the chickens the rest of your life (or move to Tahiti, if you buy a 4 plex instead of a duplex)

Disclaimer: I have NO affiliation with this or any other Camas property. (I sold all my Camas stuff (Commercial) in 2007)

Old 12-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks again for the info! I really like the look of those and that is the school I had in mind for my girls. My husband is a little hesitant about the first one... how do you fit 4 bedrooms into 1200sqft? It would probably require some serious elbow grease, but definitely worth looking at. Reminds me of Vermont, where I'm from

I'm officially holding of on looking at Vancouver. I definitely think we'll be much happier in Camas. I'm excited about the idea of a fixer since I'm kind of picky on my details... most of the "already done" houses we've looked at aren't really to my liking, but I wouldn't be able to change anything in a newer house.

THANKS!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalvo View Post
..... how do you fit 4 bedrooms into 1200sqft? ..
Low sq Ft is desired with WA property tax calculations. It is best the assessor NOT know what you are doing INSIDE your footprint.

Assessor takes much into account, But primarily what they can see and measure from the outside. (they tax you on the OUTSIDE dimensions of your house, not the usable SF, as often reported via RE appraisal.) They create a multiplier based on perceived construction quality and calculate the assessment. (one of their methods). In my case, I built for $38/sf, but am taxed at $250+/sf) They aren't interested in my cost basis, just THEIR perceived fair market value.

Best to buy a junker, it takes a few yrs for taxes to climb. If you are wise about upgrades to exterior and keep permits to a minimum, you can retain a reasonable tax value. I have helped a friend in Camas dig out his basement and build a new foundation. Also to build a nice sized shop / barn with a very nice apartment / guest house above.

The cheapo house has an unfinished basement, good sized lot, and an out building + slightly sloped lot with good access (from 3-4 sides). You can do a LOT with that package.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 AM

Well, my husband is not agreeing with me on the idea of buying a junker, even though I really think that's the best option for us. He seems to think that it's going to go way over our budget and the interest rates will kill us. He also seems to think that we'll have to pay for a lot of the work out of pocket (and not through a renovation mortgage).

Seriously, how hard is it to buy and fix up a house? I think I'd much rather buy one of the cheaper houses on nice land than a move-in-ready house with a postage stamp yard. How can I convince my husband?

Thanks again, you're a huge help!

Old 01-01-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
... I think I'd much rather buy one of the cheaper houses on nice land than a move-in-ready house with a postage stamp yard. How can I convince my husband?...

Use a spreadsheet with all the scenarios. Be especially diligent to include costs of moving AGAIN and resell potential. (The nicer lot will most certainly give you the most latitude for equity appreciation), you don't necessarily need to buy a junker. Most houses are fairy ez to salvage IF structure is solid and little to no moisture damage. (You want to be diligent in your inspection and realistic in your estimates).

Actually, you will need to figure out how much you will have to pay to have done, and how much you can do yourself.

You need to both buy into it (whatever you choose). No sense adding stress to relationship, as move is adequate stress for one yr.

If you can both tackle the projects with equal heart and enthusiasm, you can move mtns. We have seldom argued over repairs / building issues, tho we seldom fully agree on a purchase. Once the choice is made (with collaboration) we strive together for a great result (together).

One thing I will caution you, is DO NOT buy a generic 'tract' home IF YOU EVER need to sell it. It will look / feel like thousands of others on the market, and yours will be lost in the shuffle (and take a LONG time to sell)

I always buy based on the property ambiance / potential to serve my needs and provide a 'Homey' (i.e. private for me) retreat. Those are EZ to sell and give you latitude to modify to your desire (such as one in question on large lot, I would add a shop / garage with apartment as well as RV site and cover for inlaws / friends to visit (+ nice chicken coop and small barn / green house. You have access on 3 sides of property to bring in dumptrucks, bulldozers, RV's... You will not do that in a 'tract' subdivision. AND soils.... OMG, Cascade park and Orchards are on a gravel pit, very hard to plant fence posts and pumpkins. You will hit a rock and think it is only gonna be basketball size, and it might be Volkswagen size!!.

We had one house that kitchen windows faced neighbors. How pitiful.... We have had several houses where we don't even need to pull the shades (night or day) as no neighbors / streets in proximity to see in. We don't even have window shades in current home

Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Quote:
Seriously, how hard is it to buy and fix up a house?
Depends on how much money you have, how much time you have, and if you know what you're doing.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:41 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post

Quote:
Seriously, how hard is it to buy and fix up a house?
Depends on how much money you have, how much time you have, and if you know what you're doing.
Seriously.... its no laughing matter and its also probably why your husband is not wanting because he knows how hard it can be. Fixing up houses should not be viewed rather simplistically. Just know what your limits are and follow that. Not all houses is a simple paint and cover job... there are those with wiring problems, pipe problems, foundation issues, leakage issues, et.c et c.

I've known someone who didn't have much money, so it took her over 25 years to fully remodel the house. She did it room by room, section by section-- and she had friends who knew what they were doing to help her. Another who did it all by himself (well with a little help of his friends)... did floor, joists, wiring, chimney reset, hvac, remodeling bathroom, drywall, et. c all in 8 months-- he won't be doing it again. It took a lot from him, he said he won't consider fixing up houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area