Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 PM

19 posts, read 37,441 times

Advertisements

Hi all!!! I was considering Spokane for a while, for my next move, until I read in here alot and saw some lovely vids of cars smashing into each other. Too much snow and ice for me, thanks. I went there during the spring but, there's that, cest la vie. I'm in Salt Lake City which I thought would be great since I lived in Utah from 6th-11th grades but, no, sadly, I hate it and the schools are AWFUL for my son... more on that in a min....and.... It's blazing hot and there's no central AC (I have NO heat tolerance and much prefer rain/moss, yay...) and I think I'm in the hood over here.... next...

I lived in Tigard/Portland and LOVED it.... this was not so long ago but still, expensive. Or, is it? If you don't care about the income tax incentive, eating out, or much of anything else OUT (we're more indoors, computer people), is it worth the extra money to be in Tigard? I find they were MUCH more tolerant of cats (and dogs) and the pet fees weren't deadly. In Spokane I was already up to $500 for the first pet, $250 another and then rent. I mean, they're cats. They never ever harmed a single hair on the apt's lil head - just go in their litter box and lay around. REALLY????

I didn't see ANY crime in Tigard and apparently Vancouver has more. Having lived everywhere, Dallas being one, I steer clear of criminal activity - it's frightening! Especially single moms.... Please, any specific rental info would be IMMENSELY appreciated - I'm REALLY tired of reading apt reviews - it's so not fun.

(Out of left field, do ya'all have bug issues? I can't STAND roaches and was surprised Utah has them!!! Just like Dallas, NASTY!)

So... next biggie: special ed. My son is autistic spectrum, ADHD, has a sensory disorder and ODD. In California, Idaho and Oregon, we were fine. Yes, he has fits and is destructive if his meds are off..... They are always monitored and changed... he grows and so forth but will always have social issues and go off his noodle ().... we all know, are sensitive to it, educated about it all, etc... and we handled it. Not so much in central America. Ignorance runs rampant. In Texas they let him run off after threatening to shoot them (the kid can't tie his shoes so obviously this is just ranting), had him arrested, charged with terroristic threats and I was in Cali (visiting his dad for a while due to divorce issues and trying to decide where to go) - Dad forgot meds. Dumb**. Anyhooooooo.... after rescuing him and realizing I would never again live in Texas, tried Utah, same thing. They haven't a CLUE what I mean by SDC classes. As in, one class all day. Sensitive to change, lights, excitement, bells, everything. Why is it they are so uneducated? He was there three weeks before losing it. I was shocked. OMG!!! The asst principal said I was "lucky" he wasn't arrested. I withdrew him from public schools completely. Later they called apologetically explaining they would get an SDC going - they have obligations. NO!!! You're kidding. I don't believe em, sorry.

In the end - any info at all is appreciated. I loved CDA Idaho and the school for him was a HOUSE and very comfy and he loved it - very soothing - but I just can't hang with all the ice, snow, and slow drivers (lol).

Thanks!!!! Have a great ... week. Or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area