Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 41,414 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how the Vancouver, WA area is as far as housing, schools, shopping, weather, crime, etc. After much research of Seattle, Bellingham, and Everett I'm thinking I may decide on the Vancouver area instead. I like that it is a fairly big city and it is minutes from Portland, OR. Any info about Vancouver would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2006, 08:28 AM

24 posts, read 132,606 times
I used to live in Portland, OR(Currently in VA), which is like you said minutes away from Vancouver, WA...All i can say is that it rains there alot.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 19,334 times
Default Rain

It does feel like it rains a lot although it is not near the amount of rain you get in Seattle area. The anuall rainfall in the Vancouver Wa area is actually less than the bay area ( San Jose, San Francisco) in Ca.. Its just spread out during the year rather than limited to the winter/spring months

Old 04-17-2006, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 41,414 times
Default vancouver, wa

I really want to move to an area where there are a lot of outdoor activities, like hiking, sailing, skiing, etc. Since Vancouver is near a gorge I thought it might offer a lot of activities. I am not looking for a really small town, but a medium sized one that is near a major city. Since Vancouver is near Portland that sounds perfect to me.
But I have questions about how good the public schools are and how the price of housing is compared to other areas. I know it rains alot but I'm really looking for an area that experiences all 4 seasons distinctly.

Any advice on Vancouver would be great!

Old 04-18-2006, 12:02 AM

2 posts, read 14,360 times
I have lived in Vancouver for about 15 years, and my husband was born here. If you like to be near a big city, but not live in the city, then its a good place to live. However, Vancouver is currently experiencing some growing pains. Due to the urban growth boundaries, most of the vacant land in the city under construction, and housing prices are going through the roof. The schools here are much better than Portland, so many people from there are moving here. You also have to put up with all of your news coming from another state. That means we never know what is happening in Washington, especially during elections, (which may be a blessing), but we can tell you all about Oregon. Because you have to cross the Columbia River to get into Portland, the commute can be awful during rush hour.

There are many hiking trails and waterfalls. Mount Hood is only two hours away, and the Gorge is beautiful. You are also 2-3 hours from the Ocean. We are generally 5-7 degrees hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than Seattle. We also get less rain. (I grew up in Seattle- beautiful city, but too big for me now.)
Hope this helps.
Sway

Old 05-12-2006, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 36,195 times
Default Vancouver

Vancouver is primarily a bedroom community. The service industry represents the largest employment sector in the market and represents substantial opportunity for entrepreneurship.
I have lived here for 30 years and would not consider anyplace else.
One nice area you can look at is Felida, on the west side. Excellent schools.
www.felidaneighbors.com (broken link)

Old 05-12-2006, 12:11 PM

148 posts, read 1,228,398 times
Vancouver is great; a very well balanced city. Very suburban, close to Portland (right across the river), and very low crime, unlike Portland. Properties prices have been climbing high as of late, but they're still a great deal. Most people prefer living on the east side in Camas and Washougal, all towns surrounding Vancouver all more rural and nicer family areas. On the west side, the better parts are in Felida, Vancouver Junction, and Battle Ground. The expensive properties are closer to the Columbia River and the less expensive places are closer to I-5. The schools in the area are great to excellent. Lots of businesses, both large and small and great shopping. Vancouver's also got some of the best deals on NICE condos anywhere in WA. Also, there's no income tax in WA, and no sales tax in OR, so you get the best of both worlds. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:51 PM

63 posts, read 365,233 times
Default Vancouver Rainfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiet
It does feel like it rains a lot although it is not near the amount of rain you get in Seattle area. The anuall rainfall in the Vancouver Wa area is actually less than the bay area ( San Jose, San Francisco) in Ca.. Its just spread out during the year rather than limited to the winter/spring months
Actually only part of this is true. The San Jose area has 69 rainy days per year and most all of it falls Dec-Mar whereas the Vancouver area gets 163 rainy days per year and it falls from Oct-mid May. San Jose area only has a total of 21" of rain per year whereas the Vancouver area gets an average of 41". So if you look at the small increase in actual inches, you can see that the rain in Vancouver is more of a misty, drizzly type of rain and in San Jose, when it rains, it just plain rains. Also Seattles rainfall is avg of 36", but they have more days per year with clouds and overcast than the vancouver area. Only about 10 days though.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 15,263 times
It sounds like you're very curious about the schools. I don't have a child in the schools, but I mentor a child in the school system. Personally, I think Vancouver is absolutely horrible when it comes to the education system. I can't knock the teachers, but I can say the system is pathetic. The 12 yr old I mentor didn't even know how to use a card catalog or even know where the library was. I think it's up the parents as to whether the child achieves or not.

I'm not sure what the other options are. I hear Oregon in general is bad. But then I hear of a few schools where the Principal makes such a difference it's unbelievable.

If you do come to Vancouver, I'd highly recommend reviewing each school to determine what area is best for your children.

The one thing that is nice about Vancouver is in general we don't have huge areas of rich and poor. It's fairly intermixed. However, that seems to be changing.

Plenty to do? If you like outdoors... Portland is awesome. You can even drive to Seattle if you want to do something special up there. You wouldn't catch me living there. Traffic is horrific. Vancouver traffic is nothing. Portland is a bit messy at times, but if you know the routes and times to take, you're fine.

Yes, it does rain. But nothing like Seattle. We have autumn leaves, snow every other year - sometimes ice, mountains, rivers, lakes, parks, spring showers, summer flowers.. if you want all four seasons, they're here.

Old 11-07-2006, 05:02 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnonline View Post
It sounds like you're very curious about the schools. I don't have a child in the schools, but I mentor a child in the school system. Personally, I think Vancouver is absolutely horrible when it comes to the education system. I can't knock the teachers, but I can say the system is pathetic. The 12 yr old I mentor didn't even know how to use a card catalog or even know where the library was. I think it's up the parents as to whether the child achieves or not.

I'm not sure what the other options are. I hear Oregon in general is bad. But then I hear of a few schools where the Principal makes such a difference it's unbelievable.

If you do come to Vancouver, I'd highly recommend reviewing each school to determine what area is best for your children.

The one thing that is nice about Vancouver is in general we don't have huge areas of rich and poor. It's fairly intermixed. However, that seems to be changing.
I've had kids in the Evergreen School District in Vancouver and can honestly say that it is one of the best my kids have attended. But with all public education, you get out of it as much as you put into it. If the parents aren't actively invovled, you'll have deficiencies, no matter how good the school. Schools and teachers are not a substitute for involved parents.

In all fairness, I have family members teaching in several Clark County school districts. They all say the same thing...that they'd prefer teaching in the Camas SD or the Evergreen SD. That those two are the most professional, have the best resources for students and staff, and have the most supportive administrators. (Several of these family members have taught in different districts in OR and WA.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area