Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 01:04 PM

49 posts, read 93,386 times

Advertisements

We (me, my wife and our dog) are planning to move to Vancouver, WA and are deciding on two properties for a house rental.
1) House rental in a neighborhood called 'North Salmon Creek' (according to zillow). The rental house looks pretty nice from the listing and has decent sized lot (around 9xxx sq ft lot and 15xx sqft house). This one is off of NE 129th St and NE 131st Ave - Rent is around $1300
2) House rental in a neighborhood called 'Hough'. Its a littlle more than the 1st one and is about 15xx sqft with 5k sqft lot. This one is off W 20th st and Kauffman Ave - Rent is around $1400

We are currently in SF Bay area so we have no way to really go there and see the place. I have a friend who lives in Portland and another one who lives in Vancouver area so one of'em can probably drive there and give me some feedback but that'll be just a one time thing.

I wanted to get an opinion from people here who are really knowledgeable and helpful

I guess the questions we have are around -
1) What's the neighborhoods (mentioned above) are like? are they safe?
2) Access to farmer's markets/organic food/food co-op or New Seaons or siimilar stores?
3) Public transport to go to PDX or Portland downtown. We do have a car so it won't be needed much but just curious about options available
4) Availability of Bike routes
5) Weather if it's going to be different between the two. I assume it'll be almost the same as both are west of I-5

Any other tips or recommendations are welcome
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 01:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Salmon Creek (a suburb) is better neighborhood,

Hough can be +/-, but is walkable to downtown. For $1400 it must be a VERY upscale Hough House.

I would look near Carter Park / Lake Shore / Lincoln (north of Hough). Biking to town, not so walkable.

Also near Ft Vancouver (or a rental property ON the grounds)... this would be my first choice, but probably small and spendy!

Today, there is a 2Bdrm apartment for $675 on CL just across the street

Old 02-21-2013, 01:42 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
We live in Salmon Creek; like the neighborhood and access to the greenbelt. Little close shopping so a car to get the couple of miles to shopping is the norm.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Salmon Creek (a suburb) is better neighborhood,

Hough can be +/-, but is walkable to downtown. For $1400 it must be a VERY upscale Hough House.

I would look near Carter Park / Lake Shore / Lincoln (north of Hough). Biking to town, not so walkable.

Also near Ft Vancouver (or a rental property ON the grounds)... this would be my first choice, but probably small and spendy!

Today, there is a 2Bdrm apartment for $675 on CL just across the street
Thanks StealthRabbit and cdelena. Actually the rental in Hough doesn't seem that upscale at least from the photos n stuff. The house looks nice but the area in general doesn't look very upscale. I walked a few blocks through google maps around W20th to Kauffman and around and it looks okay but nothing spectacular. Are you suggesting $1400 for a 3 bed/2ba (1500 sqft with 5k lot) in Hough around W20th and Kauffman is lot more than it should be?

We're more inclined towards Salmon Creek house as it's $100 cheaper plus it has a bigger lot and the area looks nicer in general. Hows the availability of grocery stores/food co-ops/farmer's market around Salmon Creek?

Last edited by vpatanka; 02-21-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpatanka View Post
Hows the availability of grocery stores/food co-ops/farmer's market around Salmon Creek?
Several large grocery chain stores and more coming. Farmers market @nw134 near I5 from June till September. Hardware, variety, and mall not far away. Medical complex close as well.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
...We're more inclined towards Salmon Creek house as it's $100 cheaper plus it has a bigger lot and the area looks nicer in general. Hows the availability of grocery stores/food co-ops/farmer's market around Salmon Creek?
all you will ever need within 10 minutes or less drive (from Salmon Creek).

There are markets close, and you are VERY close to high concentration of local growers. New Seasons is not near at the moment, but their expansion plans will surely include Hazel Dell Salmon Creek. It is a great area and very convenient. Woodland / Ridgefield has many commercial farms / growers and mild climate, so you are also close to that. WSU Extension Small Farms Team

My farm was adjacent to WSU experimental farm (Ex Poor Farm, now HERITAGE Farm). GREAT soil !
Heritage Farm | Hazel Dell Live!
WSU Clark County Extension

I would love to see a rebirth of the 'poor farm' that included a provision to train & put people to work and learn to GROW healthy food while getting into good health themselves.

(I grew up at 'Dairy Farm Boarding School') didn't hurt me (too) much.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
all you will ever need within 10 minutes or less drive (from Salmon Creek).

There are markets close, and you are VERY close to high concentration of local growers. New Seasons is not near at the moment, but their expansion plans will surely include Hazel Dell Salmon Creek. It is a great area and very convenient. Woodland / Ridgefield has many commercial farms / growers and mild climate, so you are also close to that. WSU Extension Small Farms Team

My farm was adjacent to WSU experimental farm (Ex Poor Farm, now HERITAGE Farm). GREAT soil !
Heritage Farm | Hazel Dell Live!

I would love to see a rebirth of the 'poor farm' that included a provision to train & put people to work and learn to GROW healthy food while getting into good health themselves.

(I grew up at 'Dairy Farm Boarding School') didn't hurt me (too) much.
Cool. This all sounds good.
The owner for the house that I am looking into in Salmon Creek has made an offer to another house and he is going to find out about it this weekend and he'll get back to me about the availability for the house to be 'move-in' ready so we have our fingers crossed.

One more important thing that I'd like to confirm is reliable high speed internet in Salmon Creek. I am a Software Engineer and I'll keep my current job I have for a company here in SF n I will be a remote employee working out of WA so having a reliable high speed internet is very important for me. I was told that Xfinity is available in Salmon Creek and provides speeds between 12Mbps to 50Mbps and is reliable. Can someone confirm that for me please?

Thanks in advance

Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 PM

Unfortunately we didn't get either of those two house. One of them is still available but the owner has made an offer on another house and is waiting to hear about the offer and he doesn't know how long it'll take till it becomes available and we need to have a house rental secured asap as we're moving from out of state.

I have submitted an application through a property mgmt company for another house off of NW 119th at NW 9th. How is that neighborhood in general? The neighborhood is Hazel Dell (I guess NW hazel dell as I see both the streets as NW). Any feedback on the neighborhood will be highly appreciated. We don't have kids yet so schools don't matter at least so far but is the neighborhood safe?
Thanks in advance

Old 02-28-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I have submitted an application through a property mgmt company for another house off of NW 119th at NW 9th. How is that neighborhood in general?
I drive by there regularly and it seems to be a pleasant neighborhood. I looked at that area seven years ago and would have been comfortable buying if I found the right property.

The broadband from Xfinity (Comcast) is reliable and fast in my experience. Better than any DSL I ever used in the past but not as good as FIOS which has very limited availability here.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I drive by there regularly and it seems to be a pleasant neighborhood. I looked at that area seven years ago and would have been comfortable buying if I found the right property.

The broadband from Xfinity (Comcast) is reliable and fast in my experience. Better than any DSL I ever used in the past but not as good as FIOS which has very limited availability here.
Thanks for the message. It's official. We have secured a rental in Hazel Dell just off of NW 119th and NW 9th and are planning to move to Vancouver around 1st week of April...woohooo! excited
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area