U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 PM

40 posts, read 125,221 times

Advertisements

I am planning a trip to Vancouver in May. I have visited Portland a few years ago but I don't want to live in Oregon but I like the proximity of Vancouver to it, plus I have heard that WA state is a better on taxes than OR?

However, is anyone worried about the Hanford leak in years to come?

I live in Virginia Beach and deal with jet noise daily and just tired of the military environment here. I don't mind cloudy/misty/drizzly weather either...

Also, what can I expect from visiting in mid-May? Half of the time raining? I want to experience the spring climate of western WA because I have been to Seattle in September and the wintertime.

And, any off-the-beaten ideas on what to see in Vancouver?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 08:59 AM

13,772 posts, read 27,864,228 times
That, uh, leak, will have to go 200 miles and over some mountains (but hopefully not down a river) to get to Vancouver......

Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,589,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiwanhellokitty View Post
I am planning a trip to Vancouver in May. I have visited Portland a few years ago but I don't want to live in Oregon but I like the proximity of Vancouver to it, plus I have heard that WA state is a better on taxes than OR?
As David pointed out, the Hanford site is nowhere near the Portland area, so that isn't a concern.

In WA we have no state income tax, but OR has no sales tax. For me the income tax savings far outweighs what I spend on sales tax.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 AM

@ David: Typical media blowing things out of proportion maybe? I know that the Hanford site is far away but the article I read online acted like 15-50 years down the road might cause a problem if it gets into the waterway/Columbia River (and that's "if" they say).

@ukiyo-e: It seems like that WA is a better place to live in than OR overall just from what I've seen firsthand and researched... it just seems like so many of the jobs are in Portland and not Vancouver (and I would not want to make that drive over the bridges in rush hour traffic).

So, what can I expect from end of April-beginning of May weather?
And, what say everyone about any problems with jet noise from PDX?
Thank you!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:04 PM

5,590 posts, read 23,546,972 times
There is plenty of both commercial and military jet noise from PDX so you have to pick locations to minimize it. Depending upon the wind both east and west can get a lot of air traffic and not just in line with the runways but parallel to the north and south since they have to make down wind legs many times to get on approach.

I bought my place in Salmon Creek after three visits but it turns out we had on shore wind conditions everytime so I didn't find out about the excessive noise we get from commercial jets on the down wind leg. I have had much correspondence with both PDX and the FAA and mostly all you hear is excuses or blame on the pilots. It takes 20 miles north or south of the runways to insure minimal noise.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM

@cdelena: I'm so sorry to hear that! What about by Vancouver Lake? Still jet noise around that area as well since it's within that 20 mile limit? How does anyone do any outdoor activity there if it's that noisy (it's like that in Virginia Beach and what I want to get away from)! I would think that eastern Vancouver would be the noisiest...

Did your realtor hide the fact of the noise just to make a sale do you think? What a shame!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 AM

5,590 posts, read 23,546,972 times
Aircraft use Vancouver lake as a visual marker making the turn when approaching from the west. When takeoffs are to the west most noise is a little south of there but some turn north. I always hate the large Lufthansa jumbos that take the polar route to Europe as they are heavily loaded, slow to gain altitude, and very loud (in the summer one of my neighbors would close windows every day about noon to keep it from waking the baby).

Old 03-08-2013, 11:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
29,719 posts, read 49,702,616 times
Eastern Vancouver has very little jet noise EXCEPT on the 2-5 days / yr they use the N/S runway. Like Cd.. I had lived near Evergreen Memorial Gardens (NE 112th ave) for several months, then one day.... the house was rumbling and I looked up to see the belly of a 727. Since this was near the ex-Evergreen Airpark..., my favorite air noise was Wally's old Jenny biplane. And the year Pappy Boyington brought his Corsair to the fly-in. http://www.pappyboyingtonfield.com/pappy.htm

I worked near 164th for 30 yrs and only significant noise is the daily launch of Air Guard Jets. Now they are NOISY!

Vancouver north central has very little air noise. We lived next to Hazel Dell Park and seldom had any air noise. Now east of Washougal in the Gorge... only Life Flight and the monthy NG Helicopters. (Even tho we are near the PDX flight path, they are high enough and usually inbound.)

In general you will be safe, but if you are sensitive to this, please talk it over with the Port of Portland and they can advise of areas that you will be generally free from noise. Do not EVEN consider Gresham, as it gets hammered with air traffic, and an occasional 'drop-in' jet that runs out of fuel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_173 Pilot was my neighbor in Colorado at the time, I think that mistake ended his career.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:37 PM

@cdelena: Wow, that's awful about closing the windows each day!

@StealthRabbit: What kinds of homes are in the north central area? I was looking for something one-story with a two car garage.

I just want to be able to be outside again and not have to plug my ears and enjoy what I used to before 2010 (the F-18s came louder) and nothing of course has changed since the jet crash:
No fatalities after Navy F/A-18 crashes | WAVY.com | Virginia Beach, Va.
It's hard to believe that no one was killed!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 PM

30,583 posts, read 21,729,401 times
We have lived on the east side practically on the border with Camas, several blocks north of Mill Plain since early October. I haven't heard objectionable airport noise here, although we do hear an occasional military jet.

I am actually happy to be so close to the airport, after 26 years of living 45 minutes away from the airport in another city.

If you are planning or living here eventually, I'd take in the Farmers' Market in Esther Short Park. Vancouver Farmers Market - Esther Short Park, Vancouver, Washington Fort Vancouver is moderately interesting. Fort Vancouver National Site | Attractions | Visit If the weather is halfway decent, you can eat at McMenamins on the Columbia River McMenamins - Vancouver on the Columbia Home There are some nice condos there that might be of interest to you.

I'd drive over to the OR side and do stuff in Portland too. I like to visit Powells for instance. It will probably be too early to see roses in the Portland Rose Garden. (There are also some nice rose plantings in Esther Short Park.)

You can drive to the coast, or drive east on highway 84 in OR and visit the falls. In Hood River there are wonderful fruit farms, but May might be a bit early for that.

Honestly, I don't find Vancouver to be a diverting place, or really a beautiful city. But its setting is lovely, and for us anyway, its a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>