U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 03:38 PM

72 posts, read 108,855 times

Advertisements

Could someone give me a run down of the best area's in Vancouver to raise a family. Schools, low crime, close to hwy, and nicely landscaped area's are all important. Our price range is up to $450k...
I know Fisher's Landing is the best area in Vancouver, but is there any others area's that are good. How about Felida area or Salmon Creek? I know Camas is also a great area, but it's a bit pricey just like Fisher's Landing. Is there any builders i should stay away from and who is a good builder? Does anyone know of Quail Homes? They are building new homes off off 192nd. I heard they are cookie cutters with small lots, but in a great area with one of top schools?
I only been to Vancouver once and still confused on what area suits our family the best. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 15,282 times
I would recummend the Orchards/ Heritage High area. Its a really nice side of Vancouver.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 AM

5,588 posts, read 23,515,458 times
We looked across the area and bought in Salmon Creek. Been here over a year and very happy with our decision.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:52 AM

141 posts, read 479,671 times
We are in Camas and honestly I don't think that prices are that much higher and whatever premium you pay is worth it. It is a great location - near LOTS of new shopping and restaurants but still has a small-town feel. It is near Lacamas Lake with lots of parks and hiking/biking trails. Many areas are very close to HWY 14. Felida is nice but kind of far away from everything. Salmon Creek is pretty congested. I've seen the Quail homes 192nd- don't know anything about them as a company but they are cookie-cutter and close together. Not bad looking though. For your budget you could get a very nice home in Prune Hill area or almost anywhere in Camas. Good luck! Our kids are in Camas schools and we have been very happy so far.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
29,593 posts, read 49,547,540 times
You need to look at the 'big picture', as there are plenty of nice areas in Vancouver metro area. Also depends on your commute, whether you like rural vs urban, and whether you have sports, music, church, continuing ed needs that would make one area a better choice.

Schools really vary depending on your needs. (From Vancouver Arts school, Clark County Skills center, Clark College (if HS kids will be doing 'running start' program)). Conservative enclaves such as Hockinson, or proximity to Columbia Gorge (Camas Washougal). Good gardening soils, (Salmon Creek, Felida, Ridgefield)

Property values will probably stay fairly solid in good areas that have not overbuilt. I personally would buy in an established 'walkable' area with an trees, a park, neighborhood that is solid and not transitional, and in a spot that has good access to main roads without winding all over the place and waiting at a zillion traffic lights. (For city, I would look into places on each side of the Heights (south ridge - Overlooking River Airport / Portland, or north-ridge Orchards / St Helens) Or in Lincon, Felida overlooking the Columbia River. For rural, your options are vast. I find View properties more enjoyable, hold their value, easier to resell. I wouldn't by a home in a newer subdivision, too much work, hassle, fighting of neighbors, noise, AND VERY tough to sell. (there are zillions of them) - most significant recommendation... don't buy a home in the shade or surrounded close by big trees, they are a pain, and life is dark and depressing during the winter, and you may find it unhealthy (lots of colds and sniffling)

The desirableness of Fisher's Landing is very subjective (BTDT, SO happy to get out of the rat race) Visit your potential areas at all times of the day and run a few sample commutes. Try to limit your need to drive across town several times a day.
I think you will be able to find a great spot in the Vanc area, ask a lot of questions to locals (not your realtor... commission driven...) I use libraries, permit offices, sanitation districts, gardening shops, hardware stores (if you can find one...), repair shops, visitor centers... grocery clerks, waitresses... PTA members, teachers (not administrators)... basically EVERYONE that hopefully will have a less biased opinion, not driven by self interest. Ask, Ask, Ask... (and check your mill levy rate with county assessor... you may be able to get a house across the street that has 1/2 the tax rate, because it is in a different tax district)

Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,562 times
We lived in Salmon Creek for 3 years and loved it. Great schools (Chinook/Alki/Skyview), great family friendly neighborhoods, easy access to highways. We checked out Camas, but didn't like the idea of living near the paper mill (and yes, we did smell it when we were there). We also liked the Felida area. The west side is not as built up as the east side, but we liked it there. Good luck.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 10,990 times
i still believe the older hough area is worth looking at david

Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 PM

20 posts, read 94,251 times
Have been in Fishers Landing for over a year now and we love it. Nicely manicured areas, wonderful community parks, fantastic neighbors, super easy access to shops, amenities, freeways and the airport...and a very walkable neighborhood. We hear the schools are good too. We balked at being in an HOA community and had to sacrifice an extra bedroom, but now we are here, we are sure glad we made the 'compromise'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>