U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 11:46 AM

72 posts, read 108,786 times

Advertisements

Could anyone help me out on deciding which of these area's is best for a family. We are thinking about Fisher's Landing and Camas area's since the schools are highly regarded there, but if i work in downtown Portland is it worth the traffic congestion. Sherwood was ranked in the top 100 best places to live by CNN Money. We are looking to buy a home in the 400s.
Could anyone please give me their negative/positive feedbacks on both area's.
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 12:39 AM

4,755 posts, read 13,160,390 times
I don't know anything about Sherwood but we live in Camas and we really like it. My husband commutes to north Portland and he estimates the commute to downtown Portland would be about 40 minutes in week day traffic.

Positives: Easy travel to Portland for dining/entertainment, beautiful views of the Columbia River and sometimes Mt. Hood, great schools, convenient shopping (although you have to go to Portland for the best malls), friendly people, safe neighborhoods.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 AM

143 posts, read 781,353 times
I live in Sherwood. My husband commutes into Portland and it is not a big deal at all. We avoid Tualatin-Sherwood Rd which is the biggest factor. Take a couple backroads to I-5 and it cuts down on the time a lot. His usual time is around 30-35 minutes. Longer of course if there is an accident or construction.

Our schools are very good, home prices are still reasonable, and there is a huge sense of community here. The town very much feels like "Mayberry", which can be good or bad, depending, lol!

Old 11-05-2007, 12:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
29,556 posts, read 49,512,620 times
Tho we cannot compare 'cross-state' benefits in a particular state forum (especially OR...WA is a bit more 'understanding')
If you get your income from OR and have to commute, then maybe best to live in OR

If you can be paid from WA, then it is a better choice to live in WA. (no state income tax.)

OR does have some EDU funding problems, but I have an in-law in Sherwood, and they like it real well.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:17 PM

72 posts, read 108,786 times
I thank everyone for their feedback...
It appears Sherwood housing is a bit more expensive.
I am still looking into comparing schools.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:32 PM

143 posts, read 781,353 times
Yes, OR schools do have funding issues. Sherwood though passed a $98 million dollar bond last fall and so that gives you an idea of how important the community feels about the schools here. I do volunteer work at several of the schools, and am impressed with what I see on a day to day basis.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 17,839 times
I live in sherwood, OR and work i camas, WA. It takes me the same time to go from Camas to portland and from Sherwood to Portland. Sherwood is a nice place to live, the schools are overcrowded. My 6 years old is in kindergarden and the is 35 kids in klas. You need at least $300, 000 to buy a home in Sherwood. I would love to move to camas, I like Prune Hill, nice schools, beautifull vievs! My husband has a business in Sherwood so we have to stay here. Camas is growing so it might be anoder Sherwood in the future. Just look 5-6 years back, Sherwood was just a little town with hardly anything. Now just to get to I-5 it takes forever!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>