Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,609 times

Advertisements

Hey all, a quick question if anyone knows the answer, I can't seem to find it online.

We have a 9yr old who is very artistic and would like to apply next year for VSAA. However we live in Camas and it is impossible to get in for out of district students. My husband has suggested that we rent a small apartment and have her apply and then move permanently to the district if she is accepted.

This sounds a little squirrely to me but I know someone now who has a business in camas but lives in washougal and her kids attend camas schools because there is an apt above her office. Is there anything against the rules with this approach? I'm not looking at breaking the rules but we do want to take advantage of camas schools if she is not accepted.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Boarding School ! (all teenagers 13-19 should go to 24x7 Dairy Farm Boarding school ), but for your artsy daughter we can make a slight adjustment

personally.... I would buy a multifamily rental (4 plex or such) REAL close to VSAA and Clark College, I would title (deed) it as a custodial minor ownership (with your kids as 'owners / partners'). Then rent it out and keep one unit with utilities in Daughter's name and have her get a WA ID from 4plex addy (get them @ driver's License joint).

This will serve multiple purpose.
1) establish residency (kinda, but you can make it legit too)
2) give kid /s experience with property and financial and income (if they 'actively participate')
3) Set kids up with Real Estate assets (mine had ~ $70k in gains in their Real Estate by the time they were ready for college)
4) Have a place available for Running Start at age 16
5) Provides ~7% cash flow income. + potential equity gain.
6) Inflation Hedge
7) Solid rental market (I focus on small single level units in QUIET neighborhoods that are of interest to seniors... some stay 10+ yrs)

I set up my own kids at age 12 (into real estate and ROTH IRAs). They paid 100% for their own college needs (and cars / insurance / food / ...), as such, they were DEMANDING to their Profs / schools for obtaining a VALUE in edu, and they didn't bother to SWITCH majors or hang out forever in college. As mentioned, they each had $70k in Real Estate assets and $20k+ in ROTH IRAs when they went from Running Start to University (pre age 18). BIG BENEFIT for them is that Fafsa did not consider their Real Estate or IRA's as available college assets . They took the loans, bought equivalent in AAPL and NFLX (10 yrs ago) and have since made 1000%, yet consolidated Student loans at 2.7% for 20 yrs.... They won (this time... they have been bitten plenty too, and life has a way of knocking off your sharp corners).

It does not take much money to do this. We were just a one-earner, (hourly) wage 'worker-bee' family, that were caregiving for destitue and disabled parents (and grandparents).

Any 'head starts' are good for kids, those they participate in assuring success (and taking the risk) are even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area