Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:30 PM

34 posts, read 86,163 times

Advertisements

Currently, I live in Seattle and am completely fed up with...well, I doubt if the situation in Seattle needs much elaboration.

I'm looking into various cities in which to relocate. I would like to know about the culture in Vancouver overall. Basically, I've been hearing that the entire PNW is as antisocial, bum-ridden, and boorish as Seattle but don't believe it.

I'd like to hear unbiased opinions about Vancouver: is it a good social climate? Are the people friendly? Basically, I'm looking for a city with lots of activities/nightlife, and where heterosexuality, holding a job, and having manners are considered normal behavior. Somewhere where every other person isn't amped up on dope or looking for a chance to backstab you...(oops I started in on Seattle again, sorry LOL)

But I'm looking into Vancouver and Portland (and some other cities) because they get bad-mouthed by everyone here in Seattle, so I'm guessing they must have some positive qualities.

What's your opinion on Vancouver Culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 05:03 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,589,768 times
I could argue it has no culture, or perhaps more aptly that it's really two-three co-existing. Downtown feels very different (small, but urban, a mix of gritty/blue-collar/traditional middle-class) from Cascade Park/Fisher's Landing (upper-middle class) from Minnehaha/Orchards (ag-transitional).

I find people friendly to a point, but I can also socially straddle almost all of those lines better than some. You may find the immediate nightlife lacking if the array of available bars/bands isn't to your liking. But getting into Pdx off-peak is pretty easy.

While there is some local employment, a fair amount of the jobs are across the river (and the metro economy on the whole is going to be a step back from Seattle), so there's also some split along that line. People who don't commute may not sympathize if you're stuck for an hour every day trying to cross the bridge.

But on the whole, yes, Vancouver is more conservative than Seattle or Portland.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,601 posts, read 57,556,690 times
#1 for you might be Vancouver, BC

(or LA)

but for WA...
Why not Wenachee? or Eastside towns?

Ferndale and Lynden? (westside and nice and CLOSE to BC ... a very big plus)

ALL of PNW is independent and not overly friendly. But you can fit in. Agrarian (farm) communities are 'friendlier' than forest or urban towns. and they pay far more attention to their schools and neighbors.

Vancouver, WA or Camas is fine. There are nice communities in each. Some are suburbia / apartments / commuter areas, so need to look around and get a nice stable neighborhood (There are plenty).
http://www.cityofvancouver.us/cmo/page/neighborhoods

for starters...I like the following:
Minnehaha (East and west), Lincoln, Carter Park
Edgewood park east to Father Blanchet (south of Mill Plain).

Don't expect a vibrant social life in Vancouver, unless you are keen on other types of community groups / activities than bars.

Community EDU and City league sports. Hiking, gardening, book, investment clubs...

Old 01-23-2014, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm still exploring various places to relocate, but this is a good venue to weigh options. I'm not too concerned about Vancouver 'conservatism'---after the last city elections here, Seattle went from extreme Left to radical Left, which is part of the reason why I want to leave. It sounds like Vancouver has a variety of cultures, which is good.

The political issue brings me to Stealth Rabbit's question:

"Why not the Eastside?"

I'm am considering Metro King County, it would be the easiest option---however the problem I see over there is that the cost-of-living is high, and with the number of small businesses and families either pulling out of (or soon to be leaving) Seattle, the Eastside is the first place they'll go. Nothing wrong with that per se, but it's going to drive up the cost and availability of space over there even higher. The second problem is that Seattle is already a mecca for bums and undesirable elements, but I've been reliably informed that is only going to get worse as the new political environment is attracting even more of those types from all over the country. That's bound to spill over into the Eastside despite the local governments' best attempts to contain it.

Anyway, I'll be paying attention to all various areas I look at, I don't want to rush into such a big decision.

Does Vancouver have much of a problem with crime and with bums?

Old 01-24-2014, 10:55 AM

Bums won't be heading to Eastern WA (i.e. eastside) (tho Spokane has plenty...)... it is cold! representative WA State politics are hosed for businesses, employers, and residents. You need to go to ID or AK or WY to avoid that.

Vancouver has some bums in downtown, but not a serious problem if you get away from the railroad tracks. Pretty significant problem in Portland, in spite of them allowing 'dignity village'.

Crime is not a big problem in Vancouver, WA (even less in Camas, as they have less space, fewer bosses and more control and a SERIOUS Police dept.).

Anywhere you go there will be pockets of crime / less desirables, you need to 'survey' the territory.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:23 PM

18 posts, read 33,784 times
East Vancouver/Camas may be your pick. Much more conservative/family-oriented and family values as I've seen. Very friendly people.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 PM

Thanks again for the responses. I have a lot of surveying to do...LOL

I've heard everywhere that the PNW isn't known for being friendly, but friends can be made in most places. What I was getting at with that concern is that Seattle is not only unfriendly, but extremely passive-aggressive and has a (deserved) reputation for rudeness and boorishness besides. It's the same concern I had about the bum situation: the bums we have here are far beyond the 'nuisance' stage.

Which brings me to another question: the new marijuana laws. I understand that some communities have opted out of the program. I don't have anything against users per se but seeing the kinds of scum (here and in Colorado) that laws like this are attracting (that and Seattle even trumped Colorado by electing Communist Party members to the City Council who are promising loads of welfare and other 'services'); I do have a concern about possible future problems from it. I'm OK with quiet bars and tobacco...Where is the Vancouver area/Clark County on this?

Old 01-24-2014, 08:57 PM

836 posts, read 1,655,046 times
Portland is just Seattle Lite®

Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 PM

Vancouver / Clark County will keep a very close rein on Rmj. It is in their best interest and culture of keeping Clark County free from many of the plagues of Portland. (BTW... They have done a very good job of this, considering the 205 Bridge is over 30 yrs old, and a 5 minute trip to some pretty seedly PDX digs.

There is a lot of pressure coming across the bridge, but OR will be legal shortly and will keep the 'riff-raff' there. As well as pleasingly cater to WA users.

I don't expect the fallout in WA that CO is getting. CO has some other issues and lots of popularity, and previously held onto a bit if isolation (WY, UT, KS, NE are pretty good neighbors to have). WA is familiar with criminal behaviors and ready to POUNCE! Clark County Voters will support stringent rules (where allowable within WA law)

Old 01-25-2014, 09:41 PM

StealthRabbit:
Admittedly, Portland was on my list of communities to check out, but the more I hear about it, the less attractive it sounds. I'm also going to check into some of the other places you mentioned as being 'business friendly' goes---it's one of those 'big picture' issues that's a concern with Washington in general.

How would you rate Clark County bureaucracy/government intrusiveness/business-friendliness &c?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area