Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 7,114 times

Advertisements

I love the California Central Coast in many ways. Nonetheless, I just can't wait to make the big move from Prunetucky, CA to Vantucky, WA. I'm really looking forward to the lush greenery (California has never been so brown in January), small-town feel with big city access, good schools, nice neighborhoods, etc. I would love to end up somewhere in Felida/Salmon Creek with private trail access. Also looking at Fisher's Creek and Camas, though we are quickly getting priced out of the more desirable areas there.
My wife and I are both teachers. We just need to get jobs and we'll be there. Anyone know if the job market for teachers has opened up at all over the last year or so? I know things have been very tight (obviously not just for teachers) for the past 5 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 09:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
This region is growing like a weed and MANY new schools being built in Camas and Battelground, so...

What grade level are you certified in?
Do you prefer Bi Lingual or English?
Special ED certified?

Small district or large?
parents engaged and BENT on academics, or students from homes that really don't have parents? (there are plenty of each).

Can you sub for awhile?
Can you do 'private' teaching?

Old 02-01-2014, 11:12 PM

My wife and I both have multiple subject K-12 credentials. She's also bilingual certified, while I a single subject Social Studies certificate.
We both have about 10 years of experience in a big, unwieldy mess of a public school district (PVUSD), and would certainly appreciate a bit more parental involvement (among other things) in the future. I think if one of us got a job, the other could sub for a bit, but we also have one toddler and another on the way, so the income is necessary.
Battleground is intriguing because of the rapid growth, but most of the places I see listed for sale (Redfin) are IMO quite dumpy.
Up towards Venersborg and out around Hockinson there are nicer places and land, but then we are getting a little far removed, which is part of the problem we currently face in Prunetucky.
I'd like to have relatively easy access to Portland, while my wife would like a quiet family neighborhood. We both abhor most of the cookie cutter development that's coming back with a vengeance.

I read in another post how you find properties before they are listed. Definitely interested in finding out more about that...

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2014, 10:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
I'm sorry, as I did not mean to infer that there are plenty of teaching jobs. There are jobs, there is growth. It can take a while to get the right teaching job.

Consider living in Brush Prairie / Glenwood / Manor area, as it is a decent commute to all the neighboring districts, and some fun smaller homes and neighborhoods. Yes, there are some dumps, but there are more decent, than there are dumps, and PNW neighbors stay to themselves. A bulldozer is very quick to transform a dump. You can rent one for $300/ day.

Hockinson schools are best for parent support and really high scholastic kids / parents. (engineers and Norwegian craftsmen) (Camas second, more diversity, more variety of offerings and less scholastic focus)(CEO / Startups / finance and factory workers). Orchards is best for bilingual opportunities, tho transient families.

For digging up nice (cheap) homes for sale, you need to be here... and drive around a lot and immerse yourself in County records. Just buy the cheapest thing you can later sell or rent and start digging. It takes time, it is fun. (for some). For me... it beats fishing... I am not THAT patient! tho fishing is great in PNW (so I hear).

Old 02-03-2014, 10:59 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,601,995 times
I'd point out that the Vantucky moniker doesn't tend to go over well with the locals who don't like the suggestion that they are less sophisticated.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:10 PM

No offense, bler144, I was just pointing out that my current hometown has the same "derisive" nickname. No one seems to mind down here. But I can see why folks from Vancouver wouldn't appreciate it. I'll keep it to myself...

Old 02-03-2014, 05:41 PM

Stealth, thanks for the info. Interesting to hear the specific demographics of certain neighborhoods.
we were planning on spending a week up there this summer to get a better feel for neighborhoods. But I pictured our first place up there being a month-to-month rental while we take our time to find the "perfect home." Seems easier to rent than buying something cheap to worry about selling again in a year. But if you say the opposite I'm willing to hear it out...

Old 02-04-2014, 01:37 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,601,995 times
I don't personally take offense, but some do. My point was just that if you're actually going to move there I'd be cautious of tossing it around.

My sense is it's related to the love-hate relationship Vancouver has to Portland. Portland's amenities are part of Vancouver's draw, but at the same time they really don't like being treated like the baby brother/sister.

With Prunedale (seemingly much wealthier than Salinas) the -tucky appendage seems to be ironic. It's more rural, but wealthy.

There's enough real tension here it would be tougher to make it play as irony. Vancouver's median income is higher than Portland's, but not by much and well behind many of the other suburbs that attract the well-to-do (Happy Valley, West Linn, Lake Oswego).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area