Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:14 PM

17 posts, read 30,429 times

Advertisements

Somewhat last minute we've learned we will be relocating in the fall. My husbands employer is in East Vancouver and would like to be near there, no killer commutes. We are hoping this is not a long term relocation, so our current plan is to mothball our California home and rent in Washington.

A little about us. We are empty nesters, no kids coming up with us. We are fit and outdoorsy. Not into fancy food, or high culture. Love history and historical sites. Love hiking and do it almost daily. Love exploring new locations, especially nature. We are friendly, and have a live, and let live attitude, as long as you are not hurting anyone.

Our current home is in Northern California, Sierra Nevada. We are accustomed to winter weather, mountain conditions, and treacherous roads.

Next week we will be coming up to explore the area and look at the rental situation. Any advice on communities, where hiking and walking are easy to access. I have so many questions, any offerings will be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 02:43 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,496,480 times
Welcome Eileen!

So if your husband's employer is in East Vancouver and you want access to to hiking and the outdoors, I would recommend Camas or maybe Washougal. You'll often see Camas recommended for good schools but for access to the gorge and it's quaint downtown, it's pretty great for anyone who works in East Vancouver.

Washougal is a little further out but if you want to be really close to the gorge and wildlife you may prefer it.

If you give us a rental budget I can try to make specific neighborhood recommendations.

Oh and to give you an idea of commute. My husband works in columbia tech center in E Vancouver. It takes him 8 min at rush hour to get to our home in Camas.

Best of luck!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:03 PM

Thank you for replying!

Our budget is quite modest at this time, as we are going to still be maintaining our home in California as well. We will not be renting it out. We just started crunching numbers and looks like 1500 is going to be the ballpark. Could change as we, continue to asses our new situation.

I'm pretty sure my husband will be working in/at the Tech Center too.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. And honesty of course about our budget. Our dream would be a house versus an apartment. Right now we are just trying to figure it all out.

Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:30 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,496,480 times
$1500 is a little tough for Camas but you would have a few options. I'd recommend the Talbitzer community near Grass Valley elementary. They have some nice townhomes for rent and you're close to the lake and very close to columbia tech center.

For example.
Beautiful 3 Bedroom Townhouse in Camas-3001 NW 47th Dr

These are closer to downtown Camas, nearer to the river.
BRAND NEW HOMES - Camas 3x2.5 townhomes

Single family homes are more expensive and very scarce right now.
One level, 3044sq feet 4BR/2Bath Camas Single Family House for rent

Single Family 5728 NW 25th Circle Camas WA - OregonLive.com

In washougal you will probably be able to rent a single family home for $1500. I'm not as clear on the neighborhoods though. Lookout Ridge is a nice area though, I have friends that live there.

★2 Bedroom w/Den Available NOW!! Amazing Views +Free Til June 1st!★

This neighborhood is very close to Columbia Tech in E Vancouver. Near everything but farther from nature.
Fantastic Family Home on Cul-de-Sac - Avail June 1

And not my taste but this is a brand new apt complex in Columbia Tech itself. Your husband could walk to work.

Your search is over! Huge 2x2 awaits you at The Reserve!

I hope that helps, I used craigslist cause it's easy (and I'm on my iPad in the school pick up line!) but hopefully it gives you some sense of the areas. My personal pick would be the Talbitzer townhomes because they are really close to your husband's work, Lacamas Lake, the gorge, and downtown Camas. There is more there than just that listing.

Ok gotta run, good luck!

Old 05-02-2014, 03:49 PM

Wow thank you finding those links, Camas folks must be pretty nice. We will check them out next week.

Thanks again

Old 05-02-2014, 04:07 PM

Also a smaller single family home is preferred over a large home. Though three bedrooms is ideal. It is just the two of us, hopefully occasional visitors from home.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,121,941 times
I would check out Washougal. The commute from E Vancouver would be easy, and you would be that much closer to the Gorge. Washougal is a smallish town that has some new housing, but I would imagine you would be looking to rent an older home.

The Reserve seems really nice. If you decided to stay close, that location would work well for you. And it is close to shopping and doctor's offices down on SE 192d and SE 164th Aves.

Be sure to check out the trail around Lacamas Lake in Camas. This is a very pleasant place, where there is also boating and fishing.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:01 PM

I've been reading about winds out of the Gorge. Is this a concern for people in the area?

Old 05-03-2014, 04:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,678 posts, read 57,964,398 times
I live in the west gorge and work at Tech Center 16 minute traffic free commute.

20 minutes to catch a flight at PDX; 30 minutes to Downtown Portland , and any of 20+ colleges in region
The great outdoors is out the back door, fishing and hiking 5 minutes (great Photography and lots of nearby wildlife. (including bear, cougar, bobcat all at home...)

We are empty nesters ourselves with 2 living qtrs and trying to find another couple to equity share / or rent 1800 sf view apt in our 'view property'. We are seldom home (In Thailand at the moment till ~Oct). We have a place in Hill Country TX for the 285 days of drizzle in We_tern WA, and we fly to CA and CO from PNW for frequent sunbreaks. Will surely be home for Chamber Music NW (July), and Vancouver 'Cruisin the Gut' (quite fun and free)Cruisin The Gut | Classic Car Shows, and in Colorado for Sculpture in the Park. (Aug 8). Then back to Thailand for PT job, and probably to TX for Thanksgiving / Riverwalk lights / Christmas back in Washougal (hopefully a white one... it is 94F here today!), then likely back to Thailand for winter 2015.

We own a few rentals in the West Gorge neighborhood and there are lots of rural rentals (smaller ones) go for $1000 - $1200. We have 4 neighbors that also have apartments / shops with guest house... Perfect for empty nesters. We bought a nice place for $86k (3 acre with small home and NICE gardens and barn), and have 2 more to look at (under $150k)when I get home. (I never (very seldom) buy from realtor, none of these are on the market.)

Many of my CA co-workers mothballed their CA homes and came up to PNW and built cabins / small houses to enjoy here, and enjoy their Prop 13 advantage in CA (lucky ducks!),

Look near Cape Horn, Belle Center, Mt Pleasant Road, Marble road, Strunk rd 98671.
5 (3) minutes from home..Cape Horn Conservancy - Cape Horn Trail

Don't bother with stuff up the Washougal River Rd, That can be a real killer commute (literally).

Also Camas will be fine. Try to get within walking distance of LaCamas trail.

DO NOT GET A HOME sheltered by pretty trees.
Sunlight is a critical need in winter. (for health and sanity).

For your trip, stop into Pendleton Woolen Mills and enjoy a tour (or save till a rainy day, and enjoy a hike on the Columbia River **** (berm) Departs from their parking lot.

Being a Colorado Mtn and WY dweller I enjoy the Gorge winds, they are really not so bad anymore. Ocasionally (one week in Winter , fall and Spring, and during serious inversions. We were at the Vista House the day they clocked 119mph this winter. That was adequate (and we live just across the river from there).

Multnomah Lodge has a very nice breakfast. (Lunch Or dinner). Take the loop... east from Washougal on SR 14 to Bridge of the Gods, and back to I-205 via Columbia Gorge Scenic Highway. Might as well enjoy a free cup of coffee or tea and the great view from Skamania Lodge (3 miles past Bridge of the Gods) Go enjoy their Library. (second level above lobby) I have spent many a blustery winter day there reading, writing, and doing puzzles. If micro Brews are your thing, then visit Walking Man Brewery in Stevenson (5 minutes). Be sure to check for Blues and Brews! coming soon to Skamania County Fair Grounds, It is really quite an excellent facility / pretty setting / canoe / kayak ready!. Don't miss the fair in Aug, or the quilt show in Sept.

OOPs, Left out the history stuff...
There are opportunities at local Ft Vancouver (National Park and Historical society / barracks / reserve) and Pearson Air Museum and Clark County historical, Heritage Farm, Pomeroy / Grist Mill, and Ft Vancouver Library. DON'T miss the Oregon Historical Society museum in downtown Portland (Across from Art Museum) and very near main Library which you should check out too!!! (You can get a Multnomah County Card, as a border dweller), Hopefully you can attend a Monday "history Pub" at McMenamins http://www.mcmenamins.com/events/989...Kennedy-School They can be 'Portland quirky' and/ or very good! Speaking of Libraries... I was SO happy that there is a nice sharing of Academic Libraries for the many private schools (Universities) I have got resources through closeby Concordia U (Teacher's College) and Multnomah U or Warner Pacific U (each 10 minutes from east Vancouver).

(Also go see McMenamins Edgefield's in Fairveiw OR on your Gorge return (or stay there CHEAP),
Enjoy your visit and move!)

I always travel via private guesthomes, so get to know the locals.

If you are over age 40... Join affordable travel. If over age 50... Evergreen. I have a few others that I have enjoyed for 25+ yrs ($10/night worldwide... very safe, very fun, very educational) you will find many retired teachers, professors, librarians, lawyers as hosts. You get a profile of the host, so can choose someone who can fill you in on specific areas.
http://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange
http://wikitravel.org/en/Talk:Hospitality_exchange

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-03-2014 at 05:22 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 04:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,121,941 times
I live in E Vancouver, and we do get some East wind, but it isn't just awful. We too were at Vista House this winter during the really bad wind, and that was quite an experience! But this is not a continual thing. There would be more wind in Washougal than in the western part of Vancouver, for sure. And certain areas seem to be windier than others, such as the Costco parking lot in W Camas on 192d. If you truly don't like wind, then think about moving north to the Salmon Creek area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area