Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 09:29 AM

97 posts, read 134,099 times

Advertisements

I've been keeping my eye on the daily weather in Vancouver (I don't want to beleaguer the point, but it's of vital importance to me in terms of living here), and I see quite a bit of actual steady rain this winter, as opposed to mist or drizzle. Gray skies, mist, and drizzle don't bother me, but a constant rain of an inch or more is intolerable.

Not being there, it's hard to judge, of course. Any comments would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:59 AM

318 posts, read 628,512 times
If statistics would help you:
When there is precipitation in Vancouver, there is a 62 percent probability that it will be light rain.
25 percent chance it will be moderate rain. Only a 6 percent chance it will be heavy rain. 3 percent chance it will be a thunderstorm, and 3 percent chance it will be light snow.
The heaviest months of precipitation are November 6.5 inches average, December 6.42 inches, and January 5.91 inches.
From November to March, there is a 65 percent probability that any given day will have some precipitation, versus only 14 percent chance in July and August.
I guess it depends on your definition of constant or heavy rain. To me, 6 inches total rain over the course of a month is pretty light rain. I lived for a while in NC and travelled to Florida where a thunderstorm could drop that much in 12 hours. To me, that's heavy rain.
However, as noted above, over the winter there is a high probability or some rain two out of every three days. Seldom do I see a day with an inch or more of rain.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:29 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
If statistics would help you:
When there is precipitation in Vancouver, there is a 62 percent probability that it will be light rain.
25 percent chance it will be moderate rain. Only a 6 percent chance it will be heavy rain. 3 percent chance it will be a thunderstorm, and 3 percent chance it will be light snow.
6% chance precip will involve snow or t-storm? Those both seem on the high end.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
6% chance precip will involve snow or t-storm? Those both seem on the high end.
Those percentages may 'seem' high but those are the historical odds from the weather service.

Last edited by NCDavid; 01-19-2015 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-20-2015, 08:09 AM

97 posts, read 134,099 times
That's great info! But 6+ inches of rain a month is a lot, although I'm sure a good deal of it is in the form of mist or drizzle.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsl6 View Post
That's great info! But 6+ inches of rain a month is a lot, although I'm sure a good deal of it is in the form of mist or drizzle.
thunderstorms are very rare (3-4 in the last 30 yrs that I remember).

There are some pretty good downpours in Nov and April, Few inches / day. Minimal lightning

usually it is drizzle / light rain (nearly everyday). Not enough to required an umbrella, but enough to make you cold and miserable. (If you are that type). Interesting to PNW that daylight brings rainfall, where in many climates it rains during the light. You can get up at 4:30 AM and spray $500 worth of 'anti-fungus' products on your your orchard, and by 9 AM it will be washed off by rain.

Everything is done in the light rain ... golfing, mowing the grass, gardening, fixing cars, building houses, hiking, walking the dog...

Aug is the good month to paint your house, fix your roof, get rid of moss, cut firewood ... and a thousand other things that most people have 9 months to accomplish.. It is also the best month to camp / hike / picnic / pick wild berries, fish salmon / steelhead...

Thus... RENT, don't OWN if you value your free time

Old 01-20-2015, 11:13 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
Those percentages may 'seem' high but those are the historical odds from the weather service.
Oh, I'm not doubting that you're citing them correctly, I'm just wondering how they're calculating to possibly reach those figures.

Arguably, if you treated "3 days of drizzle" as one event, and a 5 min thunderstorm as one event, then I suppose you could maybe get that calculation to spit out. Will it be thundering 3% of the time it's precipitating (which is on its face what the presentation of the data suggests, no?)?

Not likely. You might get 30 minutes of thunder all year, whereas you'll get far more than 16 hours of precipitation.

Though anecdotally, it does seem that we get more thunder now than we used to in the PNW.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsl6 View Post
Well, I guess that depends on your expectations. According to weather statistics, Vancouver gets an average of about 42 inches of rain a year, very near the average of all U.S. cities. In comparison, according to NOAA, Atlanta gets 50 inches; Birmingham AL 54; Charlotte NC 42; Houston 50; Miami 62 inches; New Orleans 63, New York City 50 inches.
If 6 inches in a month seems like too much rain for you, you might be better off in Arizona, or maybe Los Angeles where they get 13 inches for the entire year.
Yes, it's the gray skies and drizzle in the Pacific Northwest that bother some people, not the volume of rain.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
You know, if you don't want to live with rain for nine months of the year, I would pull the state of WA out of contention for yourself.

It doesn't seem too rainy here for me, so far, but yes it does rain. We got heavy rain a few days ago, and then not much and even some sun. But I don't think this is typical. You can expect lots of rain here, although not that many gullywashers. But it sounds as if this is a big thing to you. I suspect you would be unhappy in the PNW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area