Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:47 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,756 times

Advertisements

There are so many things I hate about vancouver. I definetly have it in my plans to get out of this prison. I hate the pretentious people. Their pretend multiculturalism(come on multiculturalism here consists of asians and south asians). The campaign that they are trying to brain wash people that it is the best place on earth(sorry the best place on earth has plenty of sunshine, warmth and culture). That people that I encounter here are in constant denial that somehow Vancouver is safe place to live and constantly compare it to the states(fools the states is a big place and as everywhere in the world it is area specific). The fact that they play it up like it is a big city but in reality it is a small town. I would like to state that this place overall is a fraud.

I hate its lack of polish and class. Its just very crude and blue collar. It takes more than a skyline of skyscrapers to make a city "world class". And the "political correctness" of the city is nauseating and out of balance. The "rip off prices" retailers charge is also disgusting, especially since the dollar parity with the U.S.

I hate the hypocrisy of this city. They are supposed liberal and caring, but do nothing about the outrageous real-estate prices and have such abhorrance for the poor. They hate Americans, but race over the border to shop. People don't take a stand for anything, afraid to draw attentin to themselves. Servic people get upset when you ask more than one question. Chinese people need to assimilate to a north american business culture. This isn't China where one tries to **** over as many people as possible. Everyone I meet here is depressed. It's unnatural to not greet people walking down the street or neighbors. There is much diversity but watching people walk down the street and act as if the person next to you is not there is so bizarre and almost heart-breaking. Most foreigners that I've met want to leave right away. Personally, while the landscape is beautiful, it's too dark here for me, not enough desiduos trees, and the angle of the sun is weird. And everytime I've tried to get something positive going at work, school, or community wise, people (Canadians) look at me weird. Yes, I'm leaving. Don't take it personally, but as Canadians, I can understand you can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
From where did you move before you moved to Vancouver? We had lived in Seattle for 10 years so Portland and Vancouver/Camas looked super friendly in comparison.
I lived in victoria, portland ( beavrton) parts of california. and west palm beach

vancouver even has articles that I collected about the antisocial nature of the people

Old 06-14-2008, 05:50 PM

don't expect people to be nice in a city where it's grey and gloomy 80% of the time. It is the summerand I am wearing a wool sweater and a winter coat oh and winter boots, because the chill here gets right to my bones.

Oh and I am not even talking about the perpetually grey sky. I am constantly tired and my nose can't stand this wet grey climate. I am sure I am not the only one. The last thing I feel like is smiling.

It's freakin' JUNE for God's sakes.

The minute it's sunny, I feel like a different person. Vancouver is beatiful, no doubt, but 80% of the time (especially last 2 years have been super crappy), you can't see these beautiful mountains. That, and I also can't stand that stupid "Best place on Earth" slogan.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:54 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Vancouver is beatiful, no doubt, but 80% of the time (especially last 2 years have been super crappy), you can't see these beautiful mountains. That, and I also can't stand that stupid "Best place on Earth" slogan.
Swan Dive, it sounds like you are talking about Vancouver, Canada. This forum is about Vancouver, Washington, USA. The City of Vancouver in Washington State is in the southern most part of the state near Portland, Oregon. All the other posters here (including me when I said Vancouver was friendly) are talking about the Vancouver in the States, not the Vancouver in Canada.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:23 PM

615 posts, read 1,172,358 times
Swan Dive might of been hitting the bottle when he or she posted.
I personally think both Vancouver's are good cities to live.
They are a lot of worst places then those spots.

mod note: Yes, it is obvious that Swan Dive is referring to Vancouver, B.C. and not Vancouver, WA. Please take that into consideration when reading his/her comments.

Last edited by scirocco22; 06-15-2008 at 10:44 AM..

Old 06-15-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Swan Dive, it sounds like you are talking about Vancouver, Canada. This forum is about Vancouver, Washington, USA. The City of Vancouver in Washington State is in the southern most part of the state near Portland, Oregon. All the other posters here (including me when I said Vancouver was friendly) are talking about the Vancouver in the States, not the Vancouver in Canada.

I noticed that after the post. sorry about that, it was an honest mistake

Old 06-17-2008, 09:28 PM

615 posts, read 1,172,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balco9 View Post
Swan Dive might of been hitting the bottle when he or she posted.
I personally think both Vancouver's are good cities to live.
They are a lot of worst places then those spots.

mod:note that i knew swan dive was referring to B.C.
Anyhow, B.C. is ranked in the top ten best places in the world
to live...

mod note: Yes, it is obvious that Swan Dive is referring to Vancouver, B.C. and not Vancouver, WA. Please take that into consideration when reading his/her comments.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:39 PM

17 posts, read 74,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
I noticed that after the post. sorry about that, it was an honest mistake
Poeple have been making that mistake for a long time. Sorry that Vancouver, BC seems to be so bad. I have heard about the insane RE prices, and I have experienced the people in BC first hand on many trips up there. Some good, some bad, and some indifferent.

Poeple in Vancouver, WA shop south of the border as well though. Oregon has no sales tax, and if you do it right, you can live and work in WA with no income tax, and buy in OR with no sales tax. Prices seem to be cheaper in Vancouver, WA than Portland too.

I am thinking about moving to Vancouver myself. Oergon has crappy land development restrictions. Even with a 105 acres place outside the green zone, I cannot develop, divide, or build more than one house on it.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,085 times
Oh this is very funny to me because I have lived in Vancouver all of my life and I am looking to move to the Spokane area.

The other posts are correct in respect to all that Vancouver has to offer but, the cost to live here has gone up considerably in the past 5 years. I am recently divorced and I am finding it too expensive to live on my own, hence the move to Spokane.

You will find a lot of nightlife here, quaint little coffee shops and to many other things to list.

Maybe you can tell me a little about the Spokane area.

Best of luck to you

Old 06-22-2008, 12:33 AM

371 posts, read 1,761,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokane09 View Post
Oh this is very funny to me because I have lived in Vancouver all of my life and I am looking to move to the Spokane area.

The other posts are correct in respect to all that Vancouver has to offer but, the cost to live here has gone up considerably in the past 5 years. I am recently divorced and I am finding it too expensive to live on my own, hence the move to Spokane.

You will find a lot of nightlife here, quaint little coffee shops and to many other things to list.

Maybe you can tell me a little about the Spokane area.

Best of luck to you
Spokane, has horrible "urban" planning.

Worst Ive seen in a long time (and Ive gone to as far as NYC!)

Wouldn't really recommend moving there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area