U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-28-2008, 08:13 PM

8 posts, read 58,677 times
Default Average Utilities for Vancouver area

Hi, I am moving to the area and I am trying to get a good idea fo the average price for utilities that I will have to pay. Can anyone give me a general idea? It is just me, my husband and baby.

Water/sewer/electricity/ trash?? am I forgetting any.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 02:01 PM

470 posts, read 1,110,824 times
$100.00 (an offer that's good for a year) for extended cable, high speed cable internet, cable phone. $100.00 for electricity for my first month in Vancouver, keeping my house heated at 68 degrees 'round the clock.

I live in a one bedroom flat attached that is part of a single family home. My landlord pays for water/trash/sewer - not sure about those rates.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 17,490 times
I live in an older single family house. Roughly 1400 sq ft. No Air Conditioning (not unusual here).

Electric in warmer months (May-Oct) runs $35-$60. Electric in cold months (Nov-Mar) runs $130-$200, sometimes a little more. I keep my heat at about 68 most of the time.

Water/Sewer runs about $40-$50 every 2 months. That's with 1 shower daily, a load of dishes and a couple loads of clothes a week. A little more in summer if I water my lawn.

Trash... well, they will "nickel-n-dime" you to death. You MUST use their cans and bins. You are billed every 2 months.

IF you get the 32 gal can (holds 2 tall kitchen bags and a pizza box) AND you have them pick it up every week, that'll run you a little under $35 every two months. If you have an extra bag to put out, they'll charge you extra for that. If you want the yard debris pick-up, they provide a 64 gal (might be 96) for that. They only pick up yard debris every other week. That costs you $13 every 2 months. Recycling is part of the $35, they provide you 3 small bins. If you want a cart to put them on, you have to buy that yourself.

I don't have gas so I can't tell you anything about that one.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:56 AM

10,465 posts, read 16,558,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayl View Post
...""Trash... well, they will "nickel-n-dime" you to death. You MUST use their cans and bins. You are billed every 2 months.
...Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reminder, I so forgot about the shock we had with trash costs when we arrived in Vancouver

I am SO thankful for our local transfer station (Skamania County ~ 20 miles east of Vanc)
$2.50 once a month for 2 cans and all the recycle I can haul.

The only better deal I know of is in Roseburg, OR. FREE, and they help you unload!!! As I see the LONG lines...I will never understand why CRC (Vancouver transfer station) doesn't have 'weigh-in-motion' with electronic value card mounted on Windshield to subtract value, or add it to your utility bill. They had that technology many years ago when we lived in Singapore, quite simple and fast... now it includes parking lots, toll roads... Just 'top-off' your card every so often and you're fine (but broke)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area