Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 771 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family will be relocating (from the Bay Area) to the Vancouver area towards the end of the year. I have been reading through some of the current threads, but thought I would post my own questions to see what insight I can glean. Any help would be appreciated!

We have a 2.5 yo and are expecting baby#2 in Sept. We are definitely looking for a family friendly neighborhood (nice parks, close to kiddo activities, good schools, safe, etc); but also want to be close to shopping, good food, and access to Portland. My husband will be working remotely, but also will need to go into Portland (occasionally, more? not sure yet). The neighborhoods we are considering are Camas, Felida, Salmon Creek, and potentially Ridgefield. Camas is what seems to tick the most boxes, but it was also the first we started looking into, and where our interest started to grow. So, I don't want to blindly discard other areas that would also be a great fit. Felida is also starting to grow on us. I can't gauge how different or similar Felida and Salmon Creek are to each other? My concern with Ridgefield is that it might feel somewhat far removed and possibly too small town-ish for us (though I sense that it is growing fast and that could change in time; just not sure how long we would want to feel isolated-if that would be the case-while it grows). Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 08:29 PM

17,133 posts, read 11,974,145 times
Take a look at Battle Ground as well. For schools they are one of the runners up behind Camas which is most sought after in the area. Named one of the best communities for youth and in the safest cities in WA. It has rural roots as Vancouver's hillbilly northern neighbor. However, suburban sprawl is hitting the place hard. Albertsons, Safeway, Fred Meyer, Red Robin, etc. Also a number of local shops including the excellent Battle Ground Produce. Still maintains a bit of a quaint small town feel yet now also has the attention of typical suburban chains and they are starting to move in. 25 minutes to Portland, more if during high traffic of course.

Battle Ground one of country’s best communities for youth | The Columbian
The 50 Safest Cities in Washington - SafeWise

Old 07-22-2016, 12:06 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,597,979 times
We recently moved to Camas and like it. Haven't met anyone here yet who dislikes Camas or regrets moving here. There are neighborhoods in Salmon Creek and Felida that are pretty identical to ones in Camas, same builders, housing styles etc. So in terms of street appeal and such they can be pretty similar. Our conclusion was that there was more "there" there with Camas. It feels more like a defined community rather than generic suburbs. Having a separate school system compared to Salmon Creek and Felida seems to be a part of that. Also I think there is more good shopping and stuff to do nearby Camas which has its own little downtown and also a big commercial district along 192nd. Plus you are right next to the 205 bridge so the PDX airport is only 10-15 minutes away as is all the shopping on the Portland side of the river.

Ridgefield doesn't seem to have much to offer except nice new subdivisions. The downtown area is pretty and quaint but mostly touristy. Unless I missed something I think you have to drive pretty far from Ridgefield for all your normal shopping and such. Ridgefield seems to be the place one goes to when one wants 5 acres for horses on a little country estate. Feels a lot like Hockinson which is much the same except much further from the freeway. I expect that eventually there will be big shopping districts grow up around Ridgefield just like exist around Camas today. But we aren't there yet.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,601 posts, read 57,556,690 times
While I really like my 20 min commute from West Columbia Gorge to PDX (one stoplight).... With kiddos, Look at Mt Vista, as WSU-v has sime nice early childhood programs. It is a very close and central location.

Nearby Pleasant Valley is nice and peaceful, and ez to garden.

We had a u-pick Fruit Farm near there when kids were young. They (we) loved it. 4H should be a prerequisite for US Presidents! They would come to the party with life and business skills & would know a lot, and be able to get along and help others!

Camas has a very good and active playgroup / co-op. We used similar to meet great friends when we were brand new to PNW, and 1st kid arrived 3 weeks after we moved here. We homeschooled using Clark County Home Educators - News & Events. Then Running Start (FT free college instead of HS). Tho not perfect, Over 10 yrs beyond College graduation, kids are doing fine. No rebellions (yet)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area