U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times

Advertisements

YMMV...
Personally... we found the WA schools were not that great (but at least they are well funded) $17,200 coming in from ME in the form of WA property taxes in 2017.

So we homeschooled, as do thousands in Clark County. (nearby to home of Moore Institute - grandfather of homeschooling circa 1970's). We also volunteered 20 hrs / week in the public schools while we were in USA / WA. (but lived internationally whenever possible)

Running Start / FREE tuition (student must pay for books) for FT college instead of burning daylight in High School, is a pretty awesome perk of WA state. (since 1990s) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start.

BTW: We NEVER were in a 'suburban' lifestyle / neighborhood during our 28+ yrs in Vancouver area. You don't HAVE to live in a housing tract! There are actually established neighborhoods / walkable community commerce areas within Clark County, and places with a purpose!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 08:44 AM

69 posts, read 36,327 times
BTW: We NEVER were in a 'suburban' lifestyle / neighborhood during our 28+ yrs in Vancouver area. You don't HAVE to live in a housing tract! There are actually established neighborhoods / walkable community commerce areas within Clark County, and places with a purpose! [/quote]

Stealth, could you please, please name some of these areas so we can check them out when we visit in March? We'll be retirees looking to downsize off of our 100 acres in the NE. Not exactly housing tract kind of people, but then we are looking for lower maintenance, walkability, not long drives to amenities, etc. What is killing me so far in the online search is how small the yards are. I don't need a big yard anymore, but gosh, I do need some room to run dogs and garden!

Old 02-25-2017, 09:25 AM

347 posts, read 265,322 times
Have you checked with a realtor? A good realtor could answer all the neighborhood questions you are asking. I live in a new housing development, but I realize this is not the desire of everyone. We downsized quite a bit in yard size (but we had no where near 100 acres), and wondered if we could live with such a small yard. After 2 years, the dogs are happy and we are happy. In perspective, the yard is still bigger than our kids have in Portland. Most newer homes in the area come on smaller lots. There are plenty of nice older homes with bigger yards in established neighborhoods. In Vancouver itself, I like Cascade Park, Felida, Salmon Creek. All have easy access to amenities. Clark County has many more rural areas. Yacolt, Hockinson, parts of Battle Ground. In the eastern part of the county Camas and Washougal are nice.

I do find my area lacking in walkability areas to services, though I enjoy the trails around.

I should add, that when we first started visiting Oregon and Washington to look for a suitable place to settle, we found it worthless to just drive around and look at homes we saw available on Zillow. Without a feel for the areas, we just wasted our time. When we got more serious we hooked up with a realtor in WA and a realtor in OR. They both listened to what we wanted, made suggestions, and we were able to narrow our sites down considerably. I know not everyone wants to go through a realtor, but we would not have done it any other way.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:42 PM

Thanks, Jane, for the feedback. We feel the same way about house-hunting. We're purposely not looking at houses yet because we want to focus on neighborhoods first. So we haven't connected with any realtors yet. That said, I'm all ears if you or anyone else has a great one to recommend. He/she would have to be patient, as we aren't ready to move this year.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:37 PM

347 posts, read 265,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer15 View Post
Thanks, Jane, for the feedback. We feel the same way about house-hunting. We're purposely not looking at houses yet because we want to focus on neighborhoods first. So we haven't connected with any realtors yet. That said, I'm all ears if you or anyone else has a great one to recommend. He/she would have to be patient, as we aren't ready to move this year.
I sent you a PM with a suggestion for a realtor.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Quote:
please, please name some of these areas so we can check them out when we visit in March?

here is a pic from Vancouver subdivisions website with a BIG long X (Fourth Plain & Orchards) which I don't like and several areas circled that I do like. http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ghborhoods.jpg

As mentioned... lower Burnt Bridge Trail might suffice for paths and some areas with large yards, and decent soils.

If gardening is important, look near Pleasant Valley / Glenwood areas. (Good soils) Cascade Park and Orchards is a rock pit / gravel pile. for gardening.

Washougal and Camas are pretty chilly (+/- for good soils), Clark County extension has a soil map for WHOLE county), more options for dog walking and access to hiking and Columbia Gorge pics and fishing / water sports. Both are quite small and EZ to determine which area will suit you.

Left coast has pretty small lots compared to NE USA, but there are some really nice older established neighbors in a few places. I am one that could never live in a subdivision with privacy fences, tho most people west of the prairie are sequestered to such. So I was reminded while in Colorado last week. line after line of cedar privacy fenced yards.

50 + yrs of farm dog ownership, and fortunately they have never been penned, leashed, or desired to come inside a people house.

As mentioned to others,.. the BEST advice I got when moving to PNW... get a home on a hill, (far away form any large trees), with HUGE south facing windows (lots of them). This advice came from many transferees who had failed the move to PNW, or ended up divorced because of it.

Add good gardening climate, access to trails (and hopefully a private well) and that will narrow your available choice down and should be FINE criteria for even a realtor to follow!

Old 02-26-2017, 11:47 AM

Thanks once again, Stealth! Love your map, super helpful. Couldn't agree more with your take on the south facing windows. It makes a big difference here in the very cold, dreary, long NE winters to have some space with actual light and occasional warm sunshine.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:21 PM

45 posts, read 37,359 times
Sorry for digging up an old post, but this was very helpful as I may be selected for a job there. I was waiting on a job in Bremerton area, but this job popped up and has me looking in the Vancouver area now. Job is located in Vancouver so it looks like I can start to do more research there.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:46 PM

366 posts, read 260,983 times
^That's what search is for Lots of useful info on city data, I used it three years ago when I purchased a house here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or