Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 09:00 PM

29 posts, read 24,436 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My husband got a job as a manager in Portland, and we found an apartment in Vancouver we are planning to rent for about 6 months. It is called Addison Apts. on NE 18th street. I've looked up ratings, and I haven't seen a lot of stellar reviews, but apartments usually don't We want to find an area we really like, plus I will need to find a teaching position for the next school year before we settle on a more permanent address that is easily accessible for both of us.

Sooooooo, can anyone give me insight on that complex or the area? Zip is 98661. Prices were good, and the units looked updated, as opposed to many of the more dated places we saw in Portland.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. - do locals really call it "The Couve?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 01:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
head east if possible (nearer Evergreen School office) or east of 164th / 162nd AVE. (tech center)

Smaller Apartments usually have less trouble / noise)

There are some nice apartments near Evergreen Memorial Gardens (Cemeteries are quiet spots) (freeway noise ... boo hoo)

usually... work in Portland, live in Portland, but... hopefully you can get employment on WA side, and eventually DH too,

Hockinson and Camas are preferred districts in the area, What grade level / subjects do you teach?

Only Portland hipsters call Vancouver "the Couve", tho an older brother, Vancouver is despised by many in Oregon (which is a weird place to live... GROUP think,,, be just like them, or be an outcast) Let them think they are great, they pay the price for that, so keep them feeling really good about themselves. WA is very different and has out grown group think. You can actually have a disagreeing opinion in WA and get an ear from your friends / neighbors / legislators. More diverse economy, better funded schools, but plenty of challenges of our own.

No bad as a place to call home and employment. (and much easier to do taxes once your OR income source is gone)

Oregon is very nice to visit, but most in WA would not want to live there. The feeling may be mutual, but Clark County alone gets nearly 200 new residents / month from Oregon (as it has for 25 yrs).

Depending on work location in OR... 205 is usually a much better commute.

Express buses serve Portland from Ctran sites near border

Old 03-13-2017, 05:06 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,772 times
One good thing is you'll be close to the 205, which is what you will want to take into Portland. Beware the traffic, however. It is damn heavy during commute mornings and evenings. They start early and go late, sometimes very late (it won't let up until after 8:00 p.m.). The 5 is absolutely jammed with regular and commercial traffic, the commercial trucking is nonstop. And if the job is in downtown Portland, the 84 is another traffic nightmare. If there are any accidents -- and there usually are multiple wrecks every day -- you are guaranteed a jam-packed commute that is going to take hours. People follow way, way too close in the rain, you'd think they know better. Just turn on the radio during rush hour, or look at Waze. Jam after jam, tons of accidents.

I can make it to the Portland airport in around nine minutes from Camas (speeding) when traffic is light. Hop on the 14, then on the 205, and first exit off the bridge. Boom, there, it's fast, close, convenient. Can get to downtown Portland in around seventeen minutes (14, 205, zip over the 84 to the OMSI exit, and done). East Portland metro, even faster, 205 to a side street, done.

But during weekday rush hour? Forget it. Avoid and abort. It usually takes me over an hour to downtown Portland. Heck, it can take a half hour just to get on the 5 freeway during morning rush hour from the 14. Commuting over an hour each way, every day, is a significant commute in trying conditions. Don't discount or ignore this.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:14 AM

His work is in the Kenton/Portsmouth area in Hayden Meadows. His HR person said to look in Troutdale or Gresham, but those are really far and Gresham gets pretty bad reviews.

I specifically want to know about the area around the Addison because we've already applied there, but I haven't put a deposit yet if anyone has any better complexes.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:36 AM

467 posts, read 526,617 times
If you are working in Kenton (a delightful area, by the way, Troutdale/Gresham would be a horrendous commute. You would have to take 84 to 5 (or 205 and then take surface streets west). 84W is a nightmare in the morning. 84E is a nightmare in the afternoon. We live in Ridgefield and go through Kenton to visit one of our kids near U of Portland. We try to avoid commute times, but it is a fairly quick trip (less than 30 minutes) down I5 to the Interstate exit. I think it is the 3rd exit after the bridge. Therefore, I would think if you are working in Kenton (not sure where Portsmouth is ) and live in WA, you would want to live on the west side of Vancouver. Is Hayden Meadows near Hayden Island? If so, your exit would be the first one over the bridge. BTW, Kenton has a lovely neighborhood restaurant, Swift and Union, that puts out very fine food.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:44 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
The Addison was one of the apartment complexes we considered before ultimately deciding to rent a house instead for our first year. They were pretty nice and there's nothing really wrong with that area. Being able to just walk over to Winco for a simple grocery pickup looked like a plus side as well. Didn't actually rent it though so can't give you any experience details.

We also liked The Park at Mill Plain a little better. Nestled right into an office complex area that is nicely wooded for walks and deserted after hours/weekends. But also right off Mill Plain with easy access to all sorts of stuff including 205.
The Park at Mill Plain | Apartments in Vancouver, WA

Nicknames include The Couve, Vantucky, and Vansterdam(relatively recent dating to when weed was legal here but not yet OR).

Be prepared for this line when telling people where you live heh.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:04 AM

Kenton / Hayden Meadows (close but not the same area), I-5 will be the bridge of choice, 3rd exit north of bridge.
Preferably working 'off shift'. The bridge lifts very seldom, and never during rush hour.

I would check into Cougar Creek apartments(Minnehaha)

ONLY if I couldn't get into Officers Row Fast Facts | Properties (Wait list)

A big step up from an apartment complex, and a bit of price hike to match. Quality of Life would be nice, if you like living IN A PARK! 5 min walk to Library, swimming / activity center is near / downtown is walkable. Groceries are a long walk, or short drive. Trail and overpass from Ft Vancouver site to waterfront.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:43 AM

is DH able to bike to work (Place to change / shower?)

As I was flying over his commute zone yesterday, I remembered how a 70+ yo friend commuted from Grand Ave to Portland via bike. Probably faster than driving. Also it is a possible commute by walking / jogging.

If so... consider housing near Ft Vancouver and east to Grand Ave. (There are several options).

Old 03-14-2017, 06:36 PM

He/we don't own bikes, but he drives a motorcycle. Probably not the same.....

Btw, we decided on Van Mall North. Found a lease to take over. 98662. How's that area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area