U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 01:25 PM

22 posts, read 26,571 times

Advertisements

Hello all some I have seen a rare few older post about Longview and am wondering about a few things. I do have interest in living in WA I'm not that into most of the eastern part of the state (except possibly outside Spokane)I'm also not interested in the Seattle Tacoma area & Bellingham seems to have a high COL. In many ways Longview/Kelso seem to be just right to me not to big, not far from Seattle, Vancouver, Portland for urban entertainment, COL is around the same as were I am currently which is good, most of the jobs seem to be blue collar, I lean left on politics but I don't like places that are to extreme ether way, and lots to green outdoor land to enjoy (I currently live in desert prairie). However reading thing about Longview I get a lot of stuff about drugs, prop crime, homeless folk & so on (which also I see a lot of in Spokane, Yakima & in other spots).

1. So how bad is the drugs is it meth heads/heroin or just stoners,
2. What's the work situation like is it super tuff for a transplant to get a start
3. I notice its near the coast & probably gets plenty of rain & storms are there many floods & power outages
4. What's winter like (I'm in MT/ND so I can hander snow) is it just cloudy with more rain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 01:33 PM

2,839 posts, read 3,947,642 times
Longview is the Pacific Northwest version of a broken down rust belt industrial town.

I have acquaintances who work in the local schools there. They commute daily from Vancouver WA because they REALLY don't want to live in Longview.

If I was moving to WA from out of state and had no particular ties to a specific city then Longview would be next to last on my places to live (Yakima would be dead last). Have you been to Longview? It looks like this

The city once had a pretty vibrant blue collar employment but the big Reynolds Aluminum smelter has closed as well as the Kaiser Aluminum Plant and most of the sawmills have closed leaving the two big paper plants as the major private employers and a legacy of superfund toxic waste sites up and down the waterfront.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:58 PM

7,059 posts, read 4,087,933 times
Kelso and Longview routinely compete for the top spot of worst places to live in WA. Hard drugs, crime, high unemployment, low levels of education, etc.
http://q13fox.com/2015/09/16/do-you-...in-washington/

Old 08-14-2017, 03:08 PM

5,391 posts, read 2,997,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman21 View Post
Hello all some I have seen a rare few older post about Longview and am wondering about a few things. I do have interest in living in WA I'm not that into most of the eastern part of the state (except possibly outside Spokane)I'm also not interested in the Seattle Tacoma area & Bellingham seems to have a high COL. In many ways Longview/Kelso seem to be just right to me not to big, not far from Seattle, Vancouver, Portland for urban entertainment, COL is around the same as were I am currently which is good, most of the jobs seem to be blue collar, I lean left on politics but I don't like places that are to extreme ether way, and lots to green outdoor land to enjoy (I currently live in desert prairie). However reading thing about Longview I get a lot of stuff about drugs, prop crime, homeless folk & so on (which also I see a lot of in Spokane, Yakima & in other spots).

1. So how bad is the drugs is it meth heads/heroin or just stoners,
2. What's the work situation like is it super tuff for a transplant to get a start
3. I notice its near the coast & probably gets plenty of rain & storms are there many floods & power outages
4. What's winter like (I'm in MT/ND so I can hander snow) is it just cloudy with more rain
There are lots of pretty places in SW WA. Stay away from the worst parts of town and the most run-down trailer parks, and you'll be fine. North of Longview, there's other small towns you might like too, Napavine, Onalaska, Winlock. Chehalis/Centralia, or all the way up to Rochester, Olympia/Tumwater.

It's rainy and windy at times in WA.... You'll find it more wet than snowy, but while there's a lot of rivers that flood, it's not far to a hill either. Balance.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:26 PM

22 posts, read 26,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Longview is the Pacific Northwest version of a broken down rust belt industrial town.

I have acquaintances who work in the local schools there. They commute daily from Vancouver WA because they REALLY don't want to live in Longview.

If I was moving to WA from out of state and had no particular ties to a specific city then Longview would be next to last on my places to live (Yakima would be dead last). Have you been to Longview? It looks like this

The city once had a pretty vibrant blue collar employment but the big Reynolds Aluminum smelter has closed as well as the Kaiser Aluminum Plant and most of the sawmills have closed leaving the two big paper plants as the major private employers and a legacy of superfund toxic waste sites up and down the waterfront.
Thank you for the response, this is what I have generally observed about Longview when I first came across that I noticed the lower cost-of-living which seemed odd due to its location from Portland and Seattle I figured there had to be some sort of catch with it A lot of information about there being drugs low education and not great economy. I believe that if I was to relocate into the Washington area I would probably stick with Spokane or somewhere near.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:05 PM

Spokane also has crime issues, meth heads and that sort of thing but it is a much larger and nicer city with a lot more going on: Several universities, the biggest medical center between Seattle and Minneapolis, an interesting downtown with lots of potential, lots of nice neighborhoods and so forth. The weather in Spokane will feel a lot more like the upper midwest with four distinct seasons and long cold winters.

If you are planning to move to the Pacific Northwest and just want to find a smaller city that isn't part of the Seattle or Portland metro areas then the cities you should be looking at are:

Spokane
Olympia
Salem OR
Wenatchee WA
Boise ID
Coeur d'Alene ID
Bellingham WA
Tri-Cities WA

All of those will be nicer places with better job prospects than Longview.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:56 PM

FYI. Cowlitz Co (Longview/Kelso) has the highest rate of drug overdose deaths of any county in the state. So yes.... what you hear and read is correct. The place is tweaker central.

https://www.northpointwashington.com...s-information/

Old 08-20-2017, 09:49 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,615,844 times
I don't think most of these posts are completely accurate. Yes, there are drug and unemployment problems in Longview/Kelso, but really not significantly worse than other areas in Western WA.

Longview is actually a beautiful planned community with nice homes and less than an hour to Portland, and just over two hours to the Seattle metro. The COL is decent, and the weather is warmer and drier than Seattle without the ice problems of Portland. I don't get all the hate here. Every area has problems, but this area isn't really any worse than other similar areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area