U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 08:40 PM

11 posts, read 7,165 times

Advertisements

I'm waiting for my divorce to be finalized and just planning my next chapter

I'll be moving with my son who is a college student and will probably want to continue where he is currently attending (unless I can miraculously convince him to transfer...)

I would like to rent a nice apartment, in an area that is peaceful and green(for me,) but not too far from urban attractions (for my son)

I'm a self-employed web and graphic designer, and I work from home, so the commute to and from work is not an issue. I'm not looking for anything fancy and terribly expensive, just a nice place to call home for years to come. Preferably near the water or park, where I can go for walks or ride my bike, and won't be too "boring" for my son.

Any suggestion as to neighborhoods or areas that could be suitable would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 12:08 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,959,179 times
The only 4 year college in Vancouver is WSU-Vancouver which is a growing branch campus of Washington State University. https://www.vancouver.wsu.edu It is located in the Salmon Creek area north of Vancouver proper but is a decent green leafy type suburban area if that is what you are looking for. All the other 4-year colleges in the region are down in Portland and that is a tough commute.

There are dozens of areas that would suit you. The Fishers Landing area and Cascade Park areas of east Vancouver are nice with quiet streets and lots of parks. The uptown area just north of downtown Vancouver along Main Street is going to be the most walkable urban type area in Vancouver with best access to restaurants and nightlife and such. If you don't care about commuting then Camas further east would be worth looking at. It would likely be the priciest area in greater Vancouver.

You can use google street view to get an idea of what different areas look like.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:33 AM

6,134 posts, read 6,306,004 times
Nice apartments and not terribly expensive don't tend to go hand in hand here. You are probably looking at $1,300 or much more for a two bedroom apt. You might see listings for less but often there are not actually any available apartments, just a wait list. I would avoid the area west of I-5 and south of 33rd. Lots of homeless wandering about that area. Same goes along 4th Plain west of Falk.

Others might not agree with me but I don't find Vancouver to be very bike friendly. Most of the bike paths I see are maybe a 3 foot wide lane up against the vehicle lane. In many cases the designated bike lane and the vehicle lane are one and the same.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,409 posts, read 39,766,906 times
for renting in central area that is really nice and great access to a large park...
Officers Row Fast Facts | Properties

Very close to Clark College.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Nice apartments and not terribly expensive don't tend to go hand in hand here. You are probably looking at $1,300 or much more for a two bedroom apt. You might see listings for less but often there are not actually any available apartments, just a wait list. I would avoid the area west of I-5 and south of 33rd. Lots of homeless wandering about that area. Same goes along 4th Plain west of Falk.

Others might not agree with me but I don't find Vancouver to be very bike friendly. Most of the bike paths I see are maybe a 3 foot wide lane up against the vehicle lane. In many cases the designated bike lane and the vehicle lane are one and the same.
I won't be able to get a studio apartment for $1,300 where we live now. COL is a major consideration in my decision to move, that and being in close proximity to family in the Seattle area.

I'm actually hoping for dedicated bike paths/trails, not part of the road. Hopefully, these can be found?

Old 08-21-2017, 08:50 AM

366 posts, read 262,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post

I agree with you, compared to Portland, bike trails in Vancouver are pretty dangerous. When I'm not riding over to Portland I do enjoy our Burnt Bridge Creek trail, however be smart when riding, I've heard of strange characters hanging out in the wooded areas, although I've never seen them. Burnt Bridge Creek Trail (8 miles) | City of Vancouver Washington

Old 08-21-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
for renting in central area that is really nice and great access to a large park...
Officers Row Fast Facts | Properties

Very close to Clark College.

These are wonderful!

I wonder if they have all the modern amenities. Good Wifi is essential for my business...

Old 08-21-2017, 03:02 PM

347 posts, read 267,376 times
Good wifi should not be a problem in the Officer's Row apartments. As for amenities, they have all been remodeled inside, though there have been restrictions regarding outside changes. I would be a little surprised, however, if there are any available.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:05 PM

7,071 posts, read 4,107,004 times
Issue is more you'd have to have perfect timing to score one and may as well play the lottery that day too if you do. Big wait list.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,409 posts, read 39,766,906 times
Yes, definitely get on the wait list. I have had several people advance very quickly once on the wait list.

BTW, there are several nice Private rental alternatives within 5 blocks of The Reserve. (east and west).

If possible... get a Month to month (nearby) until your position opens up on the Wait List.

You can possibly get a daylight basement / apartment above garage for Short term rental.

These are usually $500 - $800 / month (Month to month). (sometimes need to deal with a 'shared' laundry, but some of these are in pristine homes with great views / lots of privacy / EZ access to the city. You won't find them advertised, you need to dig / 'network' to find them) Community groups, churches, senior papers and events, friends, coworkers, classmates....

A Poster here on C-D got a 5 month Luxury 'house-sitting' gig in Camas, there are plenty of those in the area! (hint: winter is coming!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area