U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 06:03 AM

69 posts, read 36,352 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide some details about the Evergreen Highlands area in Vancouver, specifically the suitability of this neighborhood for a retired couple from out of state? (looking at a house on Texas Drive). We like to walk our dogs, and it seems from google maps that the neighborhood is good for that. Trails nearby?
Schools aren't an issue any more, thankfully. Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 03:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
Nice established area / one of my favorites (If I had to live in town). 2 of my co-workers fleeing Portland homeless infiltration to their neighborhoods and my sis just purchased in that general area (the south heights) barriers = noise (airport / train / traffic) Should be OK since you are older and losing some hearing (like me...). Do visit and walk the region at night (weekends) and in early morning (weekdays).

Immigrants to PNW are usually quite well accepted (If you remove your TX and CA tags before arriving ) and leave your "We did it this way" back home.

yes, there are challenges (limited grocery quantities on sale items and different days for sales were big ones!!!for us!) (= small potatoes to make friends and enjoy the new territory)

Join a community volunteer group ASAP (tho I was only 28 when we arrived, the first yr I joined Master Gardeners / Garden Clubs, Photo Clubs / Swim sports / historical society / Ft Vancouver Volunteer / took community ed courses / volunteered at schools and nursing homes.) Found and kept a lot of friends and learned about the community.
The Messenger Home | City of Vancouver Washington

30+ yrs later, still engaged and enjoying it.

Best wishes and feel free to ask EVERYONE a lot of questions!

Find a way to walk to Ft Vancouver, and there are trails over SR 14 / waterfront from there. (Another of my favorite spots = Harney / close to Ft Vancouver)

You should be able to walk a 'loop' and return over Evergreen Blvd overpass) and down to the river trail / Waterworks.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:31 AM

Thanks, Stealth. Your posts are always helpful. As perfect as Evergreen Highlands (EH), Dubois Park, etc areas look for our retirement I must say noise is a prime concern, since we'd be coming off a 100-acre country property in the NE (Upstate NY). We get some road noise during the day here, but that's about it. On trips out to visit family I've walked around Fort Vancouver, over 14, and to the waterfront (daytime, weekdays). Loved it (that walking overpass is spectacular), but was surprised about how noisy it was. With PDX being directly across the river from EH, I'm not sure we could hack it (especially husband, even though his hearing is worse than mine) Would you say the noise level is about the same as one experiences at Fort Vancouver, less, or worse? Also, how is the microclimate for gardening in EH? Is the area mostly filled with older folks? (I'm probably wrong, but I've been assuming families with school-aged kids settle in neighborhoods with a "better" high school.) We really don't want a retirement community per se and like the idea of a mix of all ages.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:55 PM

Mixed ages / demographic
Probably quieter than Ft Vancouver
Gardening is OK, but plan on bringing your own soil ! (raised beds) Much of southern Vancouver is pretty gravel / rocky. Not sure of that specific area, but there is a 'soils map' available from County Extension.

School aged kids have to live wherever there is available space. The 'better' HS (IMHO) is Clark College (Free FT college INSTEAD of HS in WA) since 1990...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_Start

Your chosen area is quite handy to Clark College and Marshall Community Center and Library. That is nice!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:15 AM

After some research, I am still not entirely clear on how a walker or bicyclist gets over (or under) SR 14 to access the waterfront paths/parks. From Evergreen Highlands area, is the pedestrian bridge at Fort Vancouver the only or closest option?

Old 10-01-2017, 07:04 PM

SE Evergreen Blvd Overpass (Exit #3), Just below, slightly west of St Joes Church, (runs at an acute angle on maps / Wintler Park access) or east to Lieser overpass (Exit #4), Walking biking ONLY overpass at West end of Ft Vancouver

Old 10-02-2017, 02:39 PM

Much appreciated, Stealth. Apparently I wasn't zooming in enough on google maps for it to show the overpasses. I see it now. SR 14 is quite a barrier!

Old 10-03-2017, 01:02 AM

911 posts, read 1,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer15 View Post
I must say noise is a prime concern, since we'd be coming off a 100-acre country property in the NE (Upstate NY). ... Loved it (that walking overpass is spectacular), but was surprised about how noisy it was. With PDX being directly across the river from EH, I'm not sure we could hack it (especially husband, even though his hearing is worse than mine) Would you say the noise level is about the same as one experiences at Fort Vancouver, less, or worse?
Noise may be a bit less because you won't have the traffic from Pearson Field takeoffs/landings -- but those are smaller planes and don't have the engine noise of the big jetliners. I've walked the River a lot in this area. Nearly all civilian aircraft, even the biggest jetliners, come right up the middle of the Columbia and into or out of PDX. Also know that PDX is the 30th busiest airport in the United States, and it is busy: it's a joint civil-military airport and hosts both the 142d Fighter Wing and a number of F-15 Eagles. There recently has been an increase in fighter jets flying in and out of PDX, we've seen and heard a lot of fightercraft the last couple weeks. Doesn't mean anything, could be just a temporary blip, but be aware those fighter planes are orders of magnitude louder than even the largest civilian double-decker jets. You can't hear yourself think when those fighter planes pass overhead. And these military fighterwings are going to be stationed at PDX for many decades to come. They generally travel in pairs or quads, and they move fast and loud.

On cloudy days, the civilian craft can be pretty low and sometimes will be under that cloud ceiling. But they also shift routes and elevation depending on the weather, especially if it's very cloudy or windy. But their path generally is the middle of the Columbia River. The military aircraft, not so much, those guys seem to do what they want to do, and they will take off very fast, zip around, zoom up into the clouds, don't seem to care about cloud ceilings, criss-cross the River, quickly shift to the Gorge or out to the Pacific, etc.

Here's what you need to do. Scope out your target property several times during the week and on the weekend, and judge for yourself the airplane noise. Columbia River waterfront properties in and around Vancouver WA are really beautiful, totally picturesque, also pricey. Because of the constant plane traffic around PDX, however, we decided to take a pass, even though we really wanted to be riverfront and closer to the metro area. The constant plane traffic would bother us.

So if you want waterfront real estate near PDX, you're going to hear air traffic. No doubt about it. But if you are several city blocks back, it may make a difference, perhaps a substantial one. Even a single greenspace or tall trees, or a couple buildings between you and the plane flightpath, along with distance from the River, may eliminate a big percentage of the airplane noise. Also, it's highly unlikely you'll have planes flying overhead, because that's not their path; they follow the middle of the River and rarely veer into residential areas.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:01 AM

Thanks, USDefault, that's great advice and we'll certainly follow it on our next trip out there. If you don't mind, where did you end up after deciding to forego the area closer to the river? And what have you found to be the pros/cons of your choice? Are you in retirement mode as we would be?

Old 10-03-2017, 08:02 AM

Right along the river is a problem (as much for trains as planes) barges rumble a bit too.

The military flights are usual at fixed times during the day, seldom at night, and PDX has a lot of noise controls on flight paths.

As mentioned, come and listen. Actually our farm in Hazel Dell had as much aircraft noise as our place in Evergreen area. (<3 miles to Airport). But Hazel Dell had Freeway noise (though we were 2+ miles away from I-5. ). I suppose You need to get 20 miles from Pdx flight path to get away from it all. We are right along the flight path, near river, but 17 miles east, and 'up-wind' so often gliding for landing, seldom taking off. Often we can watch 10+ line up for landing, (lights) but seldom hear them. We are well above the noise of trains and barges, but can faintly hear on windless evenings with windows open.

Ridgefield and woodland should be quiet and nice soils and climate for gardening. Anywhere Beyond Clark County is best for lower taxes and valuations. But.... services / access declines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area