Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:58 AM

34 posts, read 23,610 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I currently live in Louisville, KY but am looking to move back to Portland. My entire family is on the West Coast.

Anyway, I have a job opportunity in Vancouver (near the mall). I would much prefer to live in Portland. However I know there is no state income tax in WA. That savings and a shorter commute might be worth it?

I have 2 kitties, and just myself. I would love 2 bedrooms, but 1 would do! Just no studios. I am in my 30's and love walking to restaurants, dives,breweries, parks,shopping etc. Not into chain restaurants.

Are there any such areas in Vancouver that may fit my needs? Or should I just look in NE or North Portland, etc?

My budget would be about $1500/month - give or take!

Thank you .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 11:18 AM

472 posts, read 527,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittenpants View Post
I am in my 30's and love walking to restaurants, dives,breweries, parks,shopping etc. Not into chain restaurants.

You might want to check in Downtown Vancouver or Downtown Camas. I think living on this side of the Columbia is better for tax and traffic reasons. Portland is an easy drive (off peak hours) for all your other needs.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,720 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Live in the state where you work, and stay as close to your workplace as possible / reasonable.

'Walkable' you should look to housing near downtown Vancouver (From Evergreen Blvd (Near Library) on the south, and Fourth Plain Ave on the North). I-5 on the East (acceptable East to Grand, but not as 'walkable') West to Kauffman. Near Esther Short park is ideal, as Vancouver has a great Farmer's Market that is open 8 months / yr. (food and crafts) https://www.vancouverfarmersmarket.com/

Lots of community activies in the park (and upcoming in the new waterfront)

+ Library, Marshall Center, Ft Vancouver, Clark College, Kiggins (all very walkable)

Good luck.

Portland is better to visit than to live (IMHO) Several of my coworker / friends have chosen to leave Portland this yr and move to Vancouver due to the influx of homeless who are degrading the pleasantness, safety, and sanitation of Portland. The city has taken an 'open arm' policy which resulted in a huge increase in homeless, They defecate and urinate on the streets and sidewalks in the city and neighborhoods near parks. There are thousands camping in the parks and in campers / vehicles on the streets.

The pendulum will need to swing the other way before Portland will again be acceptable for habitation. - Yes, truly sad that it has degraded to this level. Certainly the people need help and there are many ways to do that, but it has become overwhelming. As a family, we volunteered in the homeless shelters and we fund generously their work, but...the need is currently overwhelming, and the city is suffering.

As a non-resident of Portland / Oregon... you can CHOOSE when and if you go. Sometimes I go 3x/day, sometimes 3x / month. It is very ez and accessible 'off-peak' hours. ~ 10 min.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:25 PM

Thanks you both! The more I look into it, the more I agree about being close to work. I am not 20 anymore, I don't go out after work nightly LOL. Most work evenings, I want to hit the gym, cook, maybe walk to the park or out for a brew.

Then weekends I can easily get to Portland to hang out (most my people are in the SE area), Uber or transit.

There are some really nice apartments near Esther Park~!

Old 10-11-2017, 12:49 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times
Quote:
I would much prefer to live in Portland. However I know there is no state income tax in WA. That savings and a shorter commute might be worth it?
Unquestionably, yes. You are going to save a boatload of time residing in WA, because the rush-hour commute over the river is horrendous. Also, you are going to save money, because Vancouver is cheaper than downtown Portland. And you are going to pay less in taxes and fees, primarily due to no income tax. And you will have a very short drive into Portland so long as you don't go during rush hour. Early afternoons, later in the evening, and weekends is when we go, and we go quite a bit.

If you can, buy something near the Park, or wherever you reside. Go for a river view, it will hold its value. I think rents are going to go much higher in the future all along the Columbia River. The entire area is beautiful, building is booming, and it's getting gentrified. You can see it, in action, right now. Tons of refugees from San Francisco, as well as southern California, are moving up here. Only a matter of time.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:36 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
The most walkable part of Vancouver is the uptown neighborhood just north of downtown. That is the area that will feel most like a typical inner SE Portland neighborhood with lots of local restaurants and brew pubs that aren't chains.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:22 AM

Thanks all! I will find a place in Vancouver. I may look into buying, hopefully I can find a short term rental while I look .

Nice to know there are local restaurants and brew pubs! Back in the day no one wanted to live in the Couve or even go there lol.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:36 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Thanks all! I will find a place in Vancouver. I may look into buying, hopefully I can find a short term rental while I look .

Nice to know there are local restaurants and brew pubs! Back in the day no one wanted to live in the Couve or even go there lol.
Times have changed. Check out Brewcouver – The Passport to Vancouver's Breweries.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 AM

472 posts, read 527,048 times
Here are a few FB links I follow to keep up with that's going on downtown/uptown.

I'm sure there are many more.

https://www.facebook.com/VisitVancouverUSA/
https://www.facebook.com/carterparkna/
https://www.facebook.com/Hough-Neigh...-101267016527/
https://www.facebook.com/uptownvillage/

Old 10-12-2017, 09:39 AM

Cool! Thank you all for the input! Going to go check these out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area