Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:33 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times

Advertisements

This interesting figure showed up on Quora a couple years ago. I don't know how current it is today

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 11:51 PM

638 posts, read 529,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Neerwhal,

That is depressing in terms of costs and one reason we prefer living outside Seattle.

Yes, a smaller campus is a big plus for our kids, that's something we don't get much at all in CA with most of our public schools impacted. I have looked at the majors available at WSU-V and they do seem to have what we're looking for. We definitely do not want the Greek culture scene. So as long as they have the major, lets say computer science, how much better or worse might it be in Vancouver? Or is there not much of a difference in terms of academics, generally speaking? Obviously the larger campus has other perks like more activities, specialties, etc...

We do want to live in Western WA. Though I will look into our kids potentially living on campus in Eastern WA. I know its much cheaper than where we live in CA! This college stuff really adds up for the parents. We want to live near at least one decent U to give our kids that option. Vancouver also has another good private U just across the bridge - University of Portland.

Regarding Tacoma and Olympia, yes, that is another general area in the running. As you mentioned UW Tacoma is there. Any idea how it compares with the main campus in terms of academics? Also, St. Martin’s U in Lacey looks like a good private U.

Thanks,

Derek
In my limited experience working in academia and in the state, here's what I do know about satellite campuses:

1. Doesn't impact the quality of instruction (possibly to the contrary as they can afford to hire profs rather than assistants).

2. Doesn't appear on the diploma (i.e. it says "UW" and not "UW Tacoma" or "UW Bothell").

3. The student population of UW Tacoma is strongly working class and in-state, more so than the main campus. I personally consider this a good thing.

St. Martin's is not as highly regarded as UPS but lots of great students go there. Could be an excellent "safety" school for a highly motivated kid for a scholarship.

And again, for us--we want the kids to enjoy their experiences and get some independence. WWU is very do-able not living at home, and Bellingham is nice, plus you can rent the room to VRBO or something.

EWU has a satellite at Bellevue College and WWU has a satellite at North Seattle College. Plus our community colleges have direct transfer agreements with all but UW, so that's something else to consider. I went to CC, my partner went to CC, actually everyone in our families went to CC and then transferred, and we're all doing well. Not a penny wasted.

To Texasdriver... there's no Amazon so not that current, lol! But UW grads are great.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:32 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
In my limited experience working in academia and in the state, here's what I do know about satellite campuses:

1. Doesn't impact the quality of instruction (possibly to the contrary as they can afford to hire profs rather than assistants).

2. Doesn't appear on the diploma (i.e. it says "UW" and not "UW Tacoma" or "UW Bothell").

3. The student population of UW Tacoma is strongly working class and in-state, more so than the main campus. I personally consider this a good thing.

St. Martin's is not as highly regarded as UPS but lots of great students go there. Could be an excellent "safety" school for a highly motivated kid for a scholarship.

And again, for us--we want the kids to enjoy their experiences and get some independence. WWU is very do-able not living at home, and Bellingham is nice, plus you can rent the room to VRBO or something.

EWU has a satellite at Bellevue College and WWU has a satellite at North Seattle College. Plus our community colleges have direct transfer agreements with all but UW, so that's something else to consider. I went to CC, my partner went to CC, actually everyone in our families went to CC and then transferred, and we're all doing well. Not a penny wasted.

To Texasdriver... there's no Amazon so not that current, lol! But UW grads are great.
Just curious how you compare and contrast University of Puget Sound and Pacific Lutheran University?

Both are in Tacoma and of similar size and cost. They also both seem to have similar student profiles in terms of average SAT scores and GPA. But UPS seems to have a lot more out of state students, especially from CA. PLU seems to be more northwest students. That's about as far as I've gotten. We will probably visit both of them sometime with the teenager just to check them out.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:20 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Just curious how you compare and contrast University of Puget Sound and Pacific Lutheran University?

Both are in Tacoma and of similar size and cost. They also both seem to have similar student profiles in terms of average SAT scores and GPA. But UPS seems to have a lot more out of state students, especially from CA. PLU seems to be more northwest students. That's about as far as I've gotten. We will probably visit both of them sometime with the teenager just to check them out.
I would be curious to hear about such comparisons also. It's really hard to find much on it. There is also some serious 'sticker shock' when first looking at these private schools. Though I've heard some are more generous with scholarships than others. So that can offset 'some' of that financial hit.

BTW, I've been finding 'very' mixed reviews/opinions on Washington's satlelite campuses (UW-Bothell, UW-Tacoma, WSU-Vancouver, WSU-Everett, etc...). So its harder to get a true read on it for our kids. For example, UW states that they apply their same high standards in selecting professors for their satelite campuses. Some of the instructors even teach at several locations (main campus and satelite). However, regionally there seems to be a lot of varied opinions both among parents and students. Some love the satelites while others think of them as 'far lessor than.'

I'm wondering if this variation will be largely a case-by-case kind of fit (e.g. major, expectations)? For example, our kids aren't looking for the greek experience or even a large campus. They arean't into partying and prefer smaller class sizes where they get to know their instructors. So it seems that would be a better 'potential' fit for a satelite vs. other students who are upset by the lack of those other experiences?

Derek

Old 01-16-2018, 01:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
StealthRabbit, this definitely gives me pause for thought when considering WSU-V. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I have a few of follow-up questions if you don't mind. Do you think that his overall experience would have been much better at the main Pullman campus? Not for his major / needed connections post grad. WSU is fine, but I do not have a terribly high value / experience of getting excellent students from them, we diligently audited and it would have not been a good match for my kids, Moscow (next door) would have been far better!!! WSU is HUGE and basically a 'degree mill', tho has competent profs and programs, it is not superb (except maybe in some areas such as Vet school) Our technical staff from there is OK, but not not our 'shining stars' / highest level of US patent holders and invention (for my last 37 yrs in WA engineering careers

When you mention suffering the wage /career gap, do you think that has more to do with WSU's perception in general or more specifically the WSU-V campus? WSU-V specific (in his case, AND in those we have hired from WSU-V (some are good, but most are not)... not a reflection on the person, but certainly on the content of their training (we train / enable them to succeed, wherever they have come from)

From what I understand regarding satellite campuses, they do not indicate satellite or main campus on their degrees. Degree is from WSU, no indication of the location (the terribly reduced quality of academia / prof choices at WSU-V was the detractor in this particular case). A WSU Degree is fine in their
preferred fields (Do be aware that I was also in college getting a masters at the same time my kids were in U. We each tutor / very engaged in Academia (during and after EDU) I teach in colleges PT; we are homeschoolers that from a family of teachers and we have volunteered in schooling / trade schools
(USA and international) for 40+ yrs Several certified teachers in the family. 4 profs. My kids all tutored all through their EDU and were very engaged with the teaching and leadership staff at their U's

What do you think would have been better for him had he attended UP, for example?
Do you think this experience has anything to do with his specific major, perhaps?
In his career / interest field (public business / Non-profits / legislative) he would have been far more 'connected' / served by a UP degree (of which we each know and work with UP grads and know of their strengths too)

When you say he missed a job he would have been a shoe in for as a UW grad, is that because the company prefers UW over other schools? This was a very high profile job in the city of Seattle and it went to a UW grad (my kid was in top 3 candidates (I didn't expect he would get the job as it was very difficult and he is young in career, BUT... his WSU degree (learning experience) was not an asset in this position

Or is WSU simply considered lower rung to others in this field, perhaps? No, WSU is fine in their expertise (technical / Land Grant U's)

We are also looking at the OR privates and have friends whose daughter is attending George Fox currently. She speaks very highly of her experiences there. They were also very generous with scholarships. UP looks very good as well. (I have several friends who had good success with George Fox, and I know a few profs there, I have taken a few classes from GF Portland Campus) Linfield has merit too.

While we do have some great schools, CA unfortunately is very expensive when compared with other states. Our private schools are not as generous with scholarships. In addition, most of our really good publics are huge and heavily impacted like UC Berkeley, UCLA, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, etc... So it takes students longer to graduate thus delaying their chance to go to work while incurring greater expense.

Those we hire from Cal Poly are quite good, tho most of our 'experts' are from Stanford, and our company sends many to Stanford on 'fellowships' (they are good as well, but I prefer a Cal Poly grad for my specific roles) DIL is in a UC Berkeley grad program ($180k!) she is expecting a 5 yr payback... (hope so!)
Derek
As you will note from experience and replies, Higher Ed is quite student / career specific. What is best for yours, is certainly not the best for others. Many people are very loyal to their U's (not me), I am strictly results focused. +/- ... in most careers your U only gets you your FIRST job, and your reputation / performance is of higher value moving forward. But.. an excellent learning / lifelong pursuit of EDU quest and 'excellence' is a very strong asset which may (or may not) be nurtured from your first edu and instrumental in your career / earnings / social impact trajectory. (elementary) through your college (Some get it, some don't).

Consider what best will nurture and equip your offspring to be the best THEY (not you) can be.. as they proceed through life, enhancing the lives of others. Ours are doing very well considering our many mistakes. Kids are more resilient than I can ever imagine. (Thank goodness) Steer them to excel, set them free. (Ours were free before age 18) and have been out of the nest nearly that long. Of the 10 new college hires I participated in training this yr, USA edu is very sad. These were top students at their engineering schools and the best candidates we could find. Tragic what our USA EDU has declined to. (I also participate to hire international grads in Europe and Asia, they are FAR superior trained and much more incentive to WORK / be an asset to the company.) YMMV USA has the 'edge' on innovation, but only because we allow 'freedom' to explore / fail. But it is seriously declined in my field (mechanical) Too few farm kids (who know how to do mechanical things and actually get them to function!)

Old 01-19-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As you will note from experience and replies, Higher Ed is quite student / career specific. What is best for yours, is certainly not the best for others. Many people are very loyal to their U's (not me), I am strictly results focused. +/- ... in most careers your U only gets you your FIRST job, and your reputation / performance is of higher value moving forward. But.. an excellent learning / lifelong pursuit of EDU quest and 'excellence' is a very strong asset which may (or may not) be nurtured from your first edu and instrumental in your career / earnings / social impact trajectory. (elementary) through your college (Some get it, some don't).
Lots to think about, StealthRabbit. Although we really like the Vancouver area and have relatives there, the limited access to higher education is a significant issue for us. Due to financial limitations, we cannot afford to send all three 'off to college' somewhere else. So we would like to live near a decent U or satellite.

UW-Bothell and UW-Tacoma satellites both have good reputations and so we're considering areas in driving distances to those locations. North of Seattle between Bothell and Everett seems to offer the most options. Though it is also more expensive there as well.

Derek

Old 01-19-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post

They are very similar. I know many grads from both. Excellent schools that I could not afford as a kid even with a 50% scholarship. It probably depends on your major and the cultural fit.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
They are very similar. I know many grads from both. Excellent schools that I could not afford as a kid even with a 50% scholarship. It probably depends on your major and the cultural fit.
Yes, 50% of $40-50k tuition plus other expenses is still a lot of $$$. When I hear some talk of private schools ending up being 'close' to the cost of public Us, it sounds very odd to me like some form of fuzzy logic. How is $10k tuition similar in any way to $20-30k+ even after scholarships mathematically speaking?

Don't get me wrong, if you have the money or a near full-ride scholarship that's fantastic! Otherwise 50% off ridiculous, for some, is still ridiculous. Its like when the big department stores offer Special Sales off their already over-inflated prices. Sorry, I attended one of those expensive private U's growing up and was paying student loans for far too long into adulthood. It was an expensive life lesson we'd like our kids to avoid.

Derek

Old 01-19-2018, 12:41 PM

It would have to be a flagship with 0% aid to even compare. One private school, I was offered a 75% scholarship, but with the cost of living so far from home, forget it! Plus, it's really hard to say what they'll offer for years 2 - 4, and if you go long (I didn't but I can see how it happens), forget it!

That said, if you're able to live in Tacoma and go from home, and transfer within the state, I think it could be worth it. And some kids are willing to work their butts off, so good for them.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
It would have to be a flagship with 0% aid to even compare. One private school, I was offered a 75% scholarship, but with the cost of living so far from home, forget it! Plus, it's really hard to say what they'll offer for years 2 - 4, and if you go long (I didn't but I can see how it happens), forget it!

That said, if you're able to live in Tacoma and go from home, and transfer within the state, I think it could be worth it. And some kids are willing to work their butts off, so good for them.
Yes, we'll be looking at the greater Tacoma area possibly closer to Olympia. In a perfect world we'd live in Gig Harbor and the kids could use public transit (vanpool or bus) to cross the bridge for school. It may not be the most practical, but I sure love that area!

I've also thought about living across the Sound from Edmonds, maybe near Kingston. When we crossed the Sound while visiting, we noticed that many locals seem to use the ferry as well.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area