U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:27 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,279,430 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm curious what the locals enjoy most about living in their location?

I've visited the area quite a bit over the past ~10 years and experience it more from a tourist perspective. So I'm wondering if locals like other things possibly than the obvious, at least to me. For example, I love the close proximity to so many natural wonders.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 08:55 AM

366 posts, read 258,636 times
No state income tax.

Small town feel, with easy access (bike/car) to a major metro area and everything it has to offer including an airport that's easy to get in and out of.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,918,846 times
Lack of traffic on the surface streets compared to pretty much every other corner of the Portland metro area.
Proximity to Portland and so much wild space out the gorge, up in the mountains, and on the coast.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,332 posts, read 39,595,005 times
  • Proximity to PDX
  • Availability of metro area for events and parts / supplies / food choices (nearly 20 college/ private school / Seminaries... venues for events)
  • Great location for finding and grabbing 'Stuff' (CL, eBay, Etsy, FSBO, Offerup, ...) (Collectables . unique items)
  • 5 min to recreation (from my site)
  • little / no traffic
  • Decent community support (Farmer's Market, Historical Trust, July 4, Sausage Fest, Fairgrounds, Senior Services, Schools, volunteer opportunities...)
  • Fairly diverse populace (Asian, Hispanic, Indian) and eco status; Retirees / High tech, skilled, service, Forestry..)
  • Great Community College and adult ed options *including U's and private Schools / seminars
  • 1 hr to OR coast for Warm summer days, sunsets, winter storms
  • Close enough to Portland and Seattle, but also far enough away!
Dislike...
  • Clark County Planning and assessments (neighboring counties are MUCH easier to work with)
  • Sprawl (see above) Sprawl is a disease (reduced liveability) that could have been easily rectified and solved with diligent planning. You can avoid the disaster of sprawl by living in established / walkable community areas. (and avoiding rush hour / commutes / busing of students)
  • Very rough environment for Retail businesses (No-sales-tax pressure from OR and online commerce (not including Amazon = WA based = sales taxed transactions for WA residents)
  • No WA representation of news / politics. (Oregon is 'Drama-Queen for both, so you will get 'plenty' of exposure. )

Old 01-25-2018, 05:06 PM

42 posts, read 28,764 times
Been here two years. Looking for a home in another state currently.

Likes: Have made some good friends, hardworking reliable employees. No tax and run a business here.

Dislikes: the 8 months of rain, hardly any restaurants, no healthy lunch options except in Fisher's Landing, trash all over the highways (why do residents litter where they live?). Impossible finding contractor's, i.e, plumbing, landscaping, etc. Could use more nicer local food shopping options such as Nugget, more Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:06 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,279,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missca View Post
Been here two years. Looking for a home in another state currently.

Likes: Have made some good friends, hardworking reliable employees. No tax and run a business here.

Dislikes: the 8 months of rain, hardly any restaurants, no healthy lunch options except in Fisher's Landing, trash all over the highways (why do residents litter where they live?). Impossible finding contractor's, i.e, plumbing, landscaping, etc. Could use more nicer local food shopping options such as Nugget, more Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc.
Missca,

Trader Joes in a non-negotiable for my wife. We shop there a lot. I did see one in Vancouver.

We do hear the rain and gray is too much for many people who move there and its a bit concerning. We also have relatives who moved up from sunny CA and seem to have 'adjusted.' But I know it probably varies person to person. It seems like there are all kinds of coping mechanisms folks use like light lamps and trying to stay active outdoors even in the rain.

One of the things I think would help us the most would be to snowbird or more accurately rainbird to sunnier, warmer locations in the midst of winter. I've heard of quite a few taking trips in the gay season to other locations. Heck, even a drive south the NorCal could provide a break for some additional sunlight.

Curious where you're headed to next?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-25-2018 at 10:39 PM..

Old 01-26-2018, 12:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,332 posts, read 39,595,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
We do hear the rain and gray is too much for many people who move there and its a bit concerning. We also have relatives who moved up from sunny CA and seem to have 'adjusted.' But I know it probably varies person to person. ...
BEST advice I got when coming from Sunny Colorado to PNW we_tside..

DO NOT buy / rent a home back in the trees / woods!!!

Get the most clear south facing view and largest windows possible!!!

We didn't have that in our first rental so we were VERY sick and miserable (cold, damp, mossy, moldy)

Ever since them... ONLY got south facing BIG windows, clear lots on southerly side. Light tubes in dark rooms / hallways help too.

AND doing EVERYTHING possible outside as much as possible (Farmer, ... so outside all the time)
Working 30+ yrs of nights (under bright lights) probably helped too.

I can't imagine having to work day shift during the few moments of winter light / sun!!

300' tall trees can make VERY short work of your home when they get blown over in a windstorm.

Stay CLEAR of the trees... nice to look at, rough on houses (needles, branches, and shade)

I like my WEST side trees (for summer shade)

Old 01-26-2018, 11:09 AM

42 posts, read 28,764 times
Yes there is a TJ's over on Mill Plain. We do have a very light bright lots of window's new home and two dogs so we usually walk rain or shine, mostly rain! lol Oh and to add to the lack of restaurants, there is a new golden corral going in near where we work. Really that's what they put in? So bizarre. Just not the right fit for me. We may be purchasing another home in Boise, our children decided to stay there after school and we will be spending half of the year there with them, there is snow but at least it's sunny most of the time. Our dogs love the snow! There are lakes to go to in the summer, and we very much miss boating in CA. There are also lots of nice restaurants and shopping centers for convenience. It was my husband's idea to move here, and I agreed but realize I didn't spend enough time here beforehand. Every time we visited was during the drought.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:12 PM

344 posts, read 261,595 times
I respectively disagree about the lack of restaurants in the area. When we moved here 3 years ago to be closer to kids and grandkids in Portland, we assumed we would be going to Portland frequently for good eats. However, we have been pleasantly surprised at how many wonderful, small restaurants we have found in this area. I don't include any of the chains, because they are the same everywhere. We have been plenty satisfied with the food we can find locally, and we rarely venture out to east Vancouver along 164th. AND I agree, Boise is a great location. My son did his medical residency there, and is probably moving back there in 18 months to start a Fellowship.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:17 PM

903 posts, read 1,060,931 times
Beautiful area. Spring summer and fall are among the best in the United States -- no humidity, hardly any biting bugs, plenty of fresh water, some of the greenest and most lush landscapes anywhere in the lower 48. Only Hawaii and Alaska can best the Pacific Northwest in terms of natural beauty.

Incredible outdoor everything, again on-par with Hawaii and Alaska. There is so much hiking and biking and mountain climbing and skiing and boating and fishing one can do, it arguably could take a lifetime to cover it all, right here in the PNW. Even in your local neighborhood it is highly likely you are going to have greenspace, a trail, a park, a stream or creek, very close to your house. People are out and about in Southern Washington all the time, even on the darkest, greyest days of winter. People are out, hiking, biking, walking their dogs. And in spring summer fall? PNWers take advantage of the natural beauty.

No state income tax, enormous benefit for anyone who is working, especially if you are a dual-income couple raising a family. You can still find pockets of affordable housing, and utilities are still reasonable, as are taxes (but they are going up, unfortunately).

Not jam-packed with people and crappy housing, i.e. it's the exact opposite of Southern California, the Bay Area, Manhattan. Something else I've commented on before: people who live here seem to have more economic freedom and flexibility. With no state income tax, more reasonable housing costs, and in my opinion lower taxes and fees across the board, it seems to me people simply are out and about more, doing stuff: restaurants, shopping, taking vacations, recreation, snowbirding, working on their houses, or doing projects and hobbies like cars/boats/bikes. Here, people don't have the crushing pressure of outrageous housing costs, sky-high state taxes, and crushing water/electricty/gas/insurance rates. When you reduce that economic triple-threat, it permits a much greater degree of financial flexibility. That has been my observation and surmise, and I am in high cost-of-living states quite a bit.

Proximity to PDX and Portland. I can be at the Portland Airport in eight minutes (mild speeding during non-rush hour), and downtown Portland in under twenty minutes (again non-rush hour). PDX is a fantastic airport. Downtown Portland and the greater Portland-metro area is fantastic, even with the homeless/drug issues. Lots of retail, excellent medical care, just about anything you could want or need is here. Did I mention no sales tax in Oregon? It's absolutely fantastic.

Food and restaurants and supermarket offerings, I can make a very strong case the food up here is the best in the United States, period. Better than San Fran, New York, anywhere. For example, our seafood up here is incredible -- I know because I travel extensively all over the U.S., and even in the most exclusive restaurants, the fish and shellfish here in the PNW is unquestionably better. Same with produce and meats and poultry, you have incredible local producers, lots of working land in the PNW, and most importantly, water. Clean cool water, at reasonable prices. And you also have lots of very talented culinary professionals who are fleeing the uber-rents of the Bay Area and Manhattan, opening up places in the PNW.

Problem is, lots of people are figuring this out. Portland going up in price. Seattle, getting very expensive. I fear it's going to affect everything on the West coast up here, eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or