Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:20 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times

Advertisements

Sunburn? That sounds miserable . Loving the snow, huge fluffy flakes.

Made pretty easy friends with neighbors here. I don’t think it’s much different on that front than anywhere else trying to form adult friendships with strangers. Join a club/meetup around a hobby you are interested in and you’ll be half way there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 06:21 PM

11 posts, read 8,686 times
Dont waste your time trying to make friends in Washington state, the land of socially retarded. Move to Idaho, Montana or back to Minnesota. I have made adult friends everywhere. Washington people are social introverts who call themselves independent who dont know any better. They all sit by themselves or with there spouses. Thats it. No one ever comes knocking on your door to say hello. Good look with your move,

Old 02-25-2018, 06:08 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadasd View Post
Dont waste your time trying to make friends in Washington state, the land of socially retarded. Move to Idaho, Montana or back to Minnesota. I have made adult friends everywhere. Washington people are social introverts who call themselves independent who dont know any better. They all sit by themselves or with there spouses. Thats it. No one ever comes knocking on your door to say hello. Good look with your move,
New account. Two posts. Says the same thing about Spokane and now Vancouver WA. Put on your ignore list.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:18 PM

113 posts, read 128,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
New account. Two posts. Says the same thing about Spokane and now Vancouver WA. Put on your ignore list.
Not too good at spelling, either.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:34 AM

2,264 posts, read 972,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Just go to the Clark County annual Minnesota Picnic, you will have enough friends for life.

But if you arrive AFTER that picnic, you might need to wait a year to find good friends. (or go visit a Lutheran church that MIGHT have a couple people from MN, but you will have to seek them out)

The PNW was settled by independent people who like to keep their independence. I have not got used to or subscribed to that attitude during my 35+ yrs here. It is just the way it is. lonely..? not really... people are congenial enough, but seldom 'friendly'.

If you are used to, or enjoy being invited over for dinner once in a while... get over it. We invite 2 - 4 couples / families / month over for dinner, so about 50 / yr for the last 35+ yrs. We have had about 4 invitations into homes in the last 35 yrs in PNW. But... we travel a lot, so are invited into many homes / yr worldwide (Just not in PNW). People always have a great time coming over, and during snow events we open our home to neighbors... but if it were not for that, we see our neighbors only a few times in a yr, some adjacent neighbors only once every 5 yrs. I miss our MN neighbors (passed away), we spent a lot of time together helping them in their old age. We had some great times (and lots of meals / hot dishes) together.
StealthRabbit, I'll be your friend

We're actually a lot alike, though I suspect I'd have more to learn from you than vice-versa. I'm an engineer and inventor with dozens of patents and split my time between the Portland area, Taiwan and Japan.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post

No I live in Spokane and have lived in the couve also. In my opinion people are not very friendly. What does the age my acount have anything to do with this. I wouldnt ignore this post. Washington people are not that outgoing. In my opinion.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbelly View Post
Not too good at spelling, either.
Spelling, god talk about passive aggressive. Geez your wierd. See what I mean. Why dont you work on your social skills and I will learn how to spilling.

Last edited by nadasd; 02-28-2018 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: misspilled my wurds

Old 03-01-2018, 09:32 PM

113 posts, read 128,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadasd View Post
Spelling, god talk about passive aggressive. Geez your wierd. See what I mean. Why dont you work on your social skills and I will learn how to spilling.
I rest my case.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:45 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbelly View Post
I rest my case.
Although in this day and age, sometimes an autospeller is to blame...

Old 03-02-2018, 10:15 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Just go to the Clark County annual Minnesota Picnic, you will have enough friends for life.

But if you arrive AFTER that picnic, you might need to wait a year to find good friends. (or go visit a Lutheran church that MIGHT have a couple people from MN, but you will have to seek them out)

The PNW was settled by independent people who like to keep their independence. I have not got used to or subscribed to that attitude during my 35+ yrs here. It is just the way it is. lonely..? not really... people are congenial enough, but seldom 'friendly'.

If you are used to, or enjoy being invited over for dinner once in a while... get over it. We invite 2 - 4 couples / families / month over for dinner, so about 50 / yr for the last 35+ yrs. We have had about 4 invitations into homes in the last 35 yrs in PNW. But... we travel a lot, so are invited into many homes / yr worldwide (Just not in PNW). People always have a great time coming over, and during snow events we open our home to neighbors... but if it were not for that, we see our neighbors only a few times in a yr, some adjacent neighbors only once every 5 yrs. I miss our MN neighbors (passed away), we spent a lot of time together helping them in their old age. We had some great times (and lots of meals / hot dishes) together.
Unfortunately, this phenomenon is occurring in many parts of the country. It reminds me of what it was like growing up in coastal CA and walking or riding my bike to school. Now schools are lined with SUVs, minivans and soccer moms waiting in a long line to drop off their little pumpkins. In addition to that the larger family unit has decentralized - scattered to the four winds. So kids don't ride their bikes over to grandpa's house any longer. That doesn't exist for many dare I say most family units and its not good, IMO. But they don't know what they're missing.

The notion of a big town picnic where everyone hangs out and socializes seems almost a relic of the past. I'm not saying some parts of small town America still aren't like this. It just hasn't been our families' experience while raising our kids. Some change isn't always for the better, unfortunately.

In your examples you've done everything right to bring back a sense of community. But it seems to have been more of a one-way street. Having guests over takes a lot of work and its hard if not reciprocal at least occasionally. That's not to say the other don't enjoy it. They could just be super busy riding life's treadmill of work, school, kids, etc...

I'll admit we're guilty in this area to a degree. Though we're 'trying' to do it more as sort of a lofty goal. We're having friends over tonight in fact even though my wife isn't feeling well.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area