U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,807 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family and I are thinking of moving to Vancouver and perhaps you could answer some questions I have. First, how easy is it to make friends there? Is there a general pattern in the way the people act or think that is conducive to the area or is it a melting pot of people? Also, does it snow there? I've heard both sides of the coin so I'm confused. Is there a big problem with ice? It would be great if you could shed some light on my concerns. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 08:59 PM

21,934 posts, read 14,414,141 times
Why don’t you post what things you are looking for in a home city. Tell us where you live now, and why you want to move from there. You might also post about what sort of job you would be looking for.

There is no way to assure you or discourage you about making friends. Everyone’s experience would be unique.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:49 PM

We are originally from Minnesota but presently live in California. We are looking for a suburb or large city with good medical facilities and an area that is safe. Jobs are not an issue for my husband and me as we are both disabled. We would like to find an area where making friends would not be difficult. We found it easy to make friends in Minnesota but not so easy in California. Probably due to California's busy lifestyle. Not too fond of heavy traffic. Traffic in our area isn't too bad but San Francisco's traffic is not something we would want to contend with, so I'm not sure how traffic compares there. Because of health concerns, we would like an area where snow or ice isn't an issue.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,649 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Just go to the Clark County annual Minnesota Picnic, you will have enough friends for life.

But if you arrive AFTER that picnic, you might need to wait a year to find good friends. (or go visit a Lutheran church that MIGHT have a couple people from MN, but you will have to seek them out)

The PNW was settled by independent people who like to keep their independence. I have not got used to or subscribed to that attitude during my 35+ yrs here. It is just the way it is. lonely..? not really... people are congenial enough, but seldom 'friendly'.

If you are used to, or enjoy being invited over for dinner once in a while... get over it. We invite 2 - 4 couples / families / month over for dinner, so about 50 / yr for the last 35+ yrs. We have had about 4 invitations into homes in the last 35 yrs in PNW. But... we travel a lot, so are invited into many homes / yr worldwide (Just not in PNW). People always have a great time coming over, and during snow events we open our home to neighbors... but if it were not for that, we see our neighbors only a few times in a yr, some adjacent neighbors only once every 5 yrs. I miss our MN neighbors (passed away), we spent a lot of time together helping them in their old age. We had some great times (and lots of meals / hot dishes) together.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-18-2018 at 12:36 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 12:55 AM

Thank you so much for the info. The picnic sounds great! Any comments on the snow received there?

Old 02-18-2018, 12:17 PM

2,928 posts, read 4,012,715 times
Most years it barely ever snows in Vancouver. Typically one or two snowfalls per year of an inch or so that last for maybe a day until it rains or melts. Freezing rain and ice storms also happen on occasion, again perhaps one or two per year which get worse the further east you go in Clark County. Last year we had much more snow and ice that didn't melt but that was extremely unusual. It is NOTHING like MN. Most often when there is a bit of snow or ice in the a.m. you can be out driving around by noon with no problem. Here in the Pacific Northwest the snowfall is all about elevation. Here in Vancouver at near sea level it will mostly rain all winter. Drive an hour up into the mountains and you can find 10' of snow in any normal year.

As for making friends? This is not a particularly good place for that. There is a very northern European or Scandinavian vibe where people tend to be polite and friendly but also very private. My wife and I are not particularly social but the only actual friends we have in the area are either (1) extended family of which we have a bunch, (2) some of my wife's co-workers who are also new to the area, and (3) the parents of some of our daughter's friends whom we have discovered we have a lot in common after doing endless soccer games, band events, sleepovers, and such together. At my own place of employment I've basically made no real friends with any of the folks who are from here and lived here their whole lives. The friendliest people are newcomers from other states.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,649 posts, read 40,020,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishamarie View Post
Thank you so much for the info. The picnic sounds great! Any comments on the snow received there?
Snow... typically 2 - 3x / winter in Vancouver.
2-5"
very wet
rain washes it away by noon
or... at worst... stays 2-3 days due to a cold snap.
2015-2016 was exception. ~ 6 snows, one cold snap (~20-30F) lasted nearly a month, but there were several snows / ice events during a 2 month period, and generally colder all winter.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-18-2018 at 02:23 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 02:14 PM

21,934 posts, read 14,414,141 times
We find it friendly. The best friends we have made are from our church. They have been welcoming and friendly. My neighbors, not so much.

I actually find the social atmosphere very much like the midwest, except people are generally in better humor.

Housing is expensive here. Medical care is quite good, but for some specialized care, or if you use Kaiser, you might have to visit Portland. Traffic in Portland is awful, and only getting worse. The roads are carrying too much traffic for what they were designed to carry.

Traffic in Van is not that bad, yet. It is increasing though. If you can stay out of rush hour you can avoid the worst of it.

Winters here are not so much cold and icy, as wet and dreary. But things begin wakening in February, so there is a long, cool spring. Summers have weeks of hottish weather and drought. WA has had wildfires every summer that we’ve been here. They do not affect us, unless wind blows smoke our way, which has not happened very much.

But we do have wind. Heavy Gorge winds can blow through here from the east i think this happens mainly in fall and winter.

I think our climate in SW WA is the best in the state, although I might be wrong about that. We are not as wet as Seattle, though.

Gasoline is expensive. We do have an almost 10% sales tax. Property taxes are pretty high. But there is no state income tax or personal property tax.

We have a decent library system. I borrow books frequently. The library has programs for users as well.

Clark County has a mass transit system of buses. C-Tran has made major recent investments in buses and stops.

Hope some of this helps.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:42 PM

Again, thank you all for your comments. You've helped immensely. The winters sound pretty good. We love the rain but hope we can adjust to a lot of rain. My daughter will make good use of the library. Again, thank you.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 PM

370 posts, read 266,981 times
On the meeting people. If you don't have friends now or in MN then you probably wont make friends in the couve. If you really want to make friends you have to extend your self. I've made lots of friends in our area but I've always been the one to reach out. Trust me, not everyone wants to be your friend and that's ok, but you have to put it out there. Don't think people will knock down your door to be your bestie.

I hear its snowing today? I just got a sunburn fishing down here in San Louis Obispo, sorry had to rub it in! :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or