Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 10:40 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times

Advertisements

The other thing I'd think about is that you have 3 teenagers who may not all want the same thing. Living where you have the flexibility to make changes in plan to meet all of their needs might be best. You might think they will want to stay home for college, they might chose to move away - or the reverse, one of them might decide on WSU Vancouver or even one of the schools in Portland (there is SOME reciprocity in tuition).

The point is, I'd pick central - or with easy access to the center - over somewhere out on the edges, like Washougal or Fern Prairie or Livingston.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 11:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
When doing your search don't forget Bellingham (WWU and CC and a trade school) and the availability of nearby BC schools.

BC is REALLY nice for a variety of outdoor recreation.
Getting Sentri / EDL makes the crossing pretty painless.

I agree to stay clear of metro Puget Sound if possible.

Since you are now Waterfront blessed. Being on the Sound is a nice alternative (sea Kayaking / wildlife / EZ escapes on the water (San Juans and Canadian Gulf Islands)) + Alaska Marine Highway departures 2x / week

Can't beat the available Ice Cream! https://www.edaleendairy.com/

Old 05-31-2018, 10:10 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
When doing your search don't forget Bellingham (WWU and CC and a trade school) and the availability of nearby BC schools.

BC is REALLY nice for a variety of outdoor recreation.
Getting Sentri / EDL makes the crossing pretty painless.

I agree to stay clear of metro Puget Sound if possible.

Since you are now Waterfront blessed. Being on the Sound is a nice alternative (sea Kayaking / wildlife / EZ escapes on the water (San Juans and Canadian Gulf Islands)) + Alaska Marine Highway departures 2x / week

Can't beat the available Ice Cream! https://www.edaleendairy.com/
Yeah, we looked at it briefly. Looks like a nice place to visit. But honestly my wife doesn't want to live that far north. Even Seattle was pushing it for her. In fact, I think Bellingham is the northern most city in the lower 48. Plus the COL including housing is really high up there for some reason. There's not much of an economy and only the one university. Though we've heard good things about WWU. I actually work with a guy who went to school there and its his favorite place in WA and he's a native of the state.

We've finally narrowed it down to Vancouver/Camas and Covallis after researching a wide variety of PNW areas based upon our preferences. Initially, there were quite a few more including Everett, northern Seattle/Bothell, Pouslbo, Gig Harbor, Tacoma, Olympia, Wenatchee, Portland, Beaverton, West Linn, Salem & Eugene. We've also visited a number of these places on prior trips to the PNW.

However, with the help of folks we know or met online like yourself plus a bunch of other research we've finally got it narrowed to a reasonable number of locations we would like to check out more in person.

Derek

Old 05-31-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The other thing I'd think about is that you have 3 teenagers who may not all want the same thing. Living where you have the flexibility to make changes in plan to meet all of their needs might be best. You might think they will want to stay home for college, they might chose to move away - or the reverse, one of them might decide on WSU Vancouver or even one of the schools in Portland (there is SOME reciprocity in tuition).

The point is, I'd pick central - or with easy access to the center - over somewhere out on the edges, like Washougal or Fern Prairie or Livingston.
Yes, we have been mulling this over because we already know they each have unique interests, skills, abilities and education goals or lack thereof (at least for now). So even if one school fits one like OSU for our son who is very STEM driven, our daughters are a different story. With one in middle school and the other a rising freshman, they really have no idea what areas/majors they are interested in yet. I think they mostly like stuff non-school related at this stage. We're still working on that one.

The thing with Corvallis is that they not only have OSU but also another university not too far away in Monmouth - Western Oregon U. Sure, they may find some program completely different or even want to study abroad! So its a bit of a gamble combined with many other factors or preferences like good places to hike, paddleboard, etc... This is a much more involved decision making process than when they were younger. There are just more variables to consider. For now we're leaving it in somewhat suspended judgement until we can spend more time visiting each area in person. Although we've spent time in Vancouver and have family there we have not in Corvallis. So we're looking forward to that experience including visiting the OSU campus.

We've also looked at the garden variety of college options in and around Vancouver/Portland. There's just not one that really stands out to us like OSU for our son. He's interested in computer science, robotics and research - both undergraduate and graduate level. Still, he could live on campus at UW Bothell or something similar if we decide to live in Vancouver. Its just more costly than commuting especially when you have three attending college. WSU Vancouver or even Portland State could 'potentially' work for one of them. While some of the privates are nice they are a bit more boutique (not really research institutions like the larger public U's) and very expensive (Lewis & Clark, Reed, U of P, et al).

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-31-2018 at 11:15 PM..

Old 05-31-2018, 10:58 PM

Your two choices are fine, and each have a lot of benefits.

From Corvallis. Linfield, and George Fox are also quite accessible and good college options. UO or PSU (and the wealth of ~20 other Portland / Salem choices)

As mentioned, many co-workers have done both locations and each are pretty nice with lots of opportunities.

It is just a 'season / next chapter' so you will have a nice adventure.

Having the coast close to Corvallis is good for storm watching and cool summer escapes. We used a condo at Ottercrest (Depot Bay) for many yrs (owned by relatives who live in Corvallis).

You have narrowed it to a couple good options.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:00 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,737,640 times
Honestly I wouldn't be chosing locations based on proximity to higher ed with the expectation that your 14 year old will be living at home while attending college. As a parent of 3 kids ages 12, 15, and 19 I understand the impulse. However our 19 year old is attending college out of state and it has been the best thing ever for her in terms of learning to grow up and be on her own. Last thing I want is a "failed to launch" 25 year old still living in the basement. When your kids hit 18 you will understand. You don't always want them around and in your face with all their lifestyle decisions and habits.

But you are right, Vancouver is kind of in a black hole in terms of access to top quality higher education. But you do have in-state access to the two flagship universities UW and WSU which are both more highly ranked than anything in OR. And for computer science and related engineering fields, UW is completely world class. The common pathway in Vancouver for many kids is to earn an associates degree in HS through running start and then launch off to UW or WSU as an incoming sophomore or junior. So you do have that route in WA if college costs are the major factor.

I expect that eventually WSU-Vancouver will become a larger and more comprehensive option as the region grows. They certainly have plenty of room for expansion and appear to have planned for it. But that isn't likely to happen within your time frame. That's probably more of a 20 year type project.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:17 PM

WSU-V was a real disappointment to my student (and myself (I helped with programs there))

as a satellite / orphan (LONG ways from home campus) there are significant gaps in offerings / choices / opportunities. (but perfect for many 'commuter / adult continuing programs... i.e. non-campus intensive) IIRC, it is about 20 yrs old. I'd give it another 50 yrs to develop (at current pace))

On May 10, 1989, the Washington State Legislature formally established WSU Vancouver as one of four campuses that make up the WSU system

Old 06-01-2018, 05:38 PM

467 posts, read 526,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Honestly I wouldn't be chosing locations based on proximity to higher ed with the expectation that your 14 year old will be living at home while attending college. As a parent of 3 kids ages 12, 15, and 19 I understand the impulse. However our 19 year old is attending college out of state and it has been the best thing ever for her in terms of learning to grow up and be on her own. Last thing I want is a "failed to launch" 25 year old still living in the basement. When your kids hit 18 you will understand. You don't always want them around and in your face with all their lifestyle decisions and habits.
This is so true and made me laugh out loud.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WSU-V was a real disappointment to my student (and myself (I helped with programs there))

as a satellite / orphan (LONG ways from home campus) there are significant gaps in offerings / choices / opportunities. (but perfect for many 'commuter / adult continuing programs... i.e. non-campus intensive) IIRC, it is about 20 yrs old. I'd give it another 50 yrs to develop (at current pace))

On May 10, 1989, the Washington State Legislature formally established WSU Vancouver as one of four campuses that make up the WSU system
That's a bummer about WSU-V. We've seen and heard about much better results from UW's satellites, especially Bothell which is the fastest growing U. in state. In Bothell's case, its so close students can actually take some classes at the main campus if they want to. And some professors teach at both locations. There seems to be a lot more synergy there with the local companies partnering with the school. I'm kinda surprised there isn't more from Portland companies wanting to partner with WSU-V. Maybe they are focused more on Portland state and other local schools. Even for school without fantastic reputations, I've seen 'proximity' to certain industries push the school and their students forward into job training programs in the form of internships and eventually careers.

Derek

Old 06-01-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post

But you are right, Vancouver is kind of in a black hole in terms of access to top quality higher education. But you do have in-state access to the two flagship universities UW and WSU which are both more highly ranked than anything in OR. And for computer science and related engineering fields, UW is completely world class. The common pathway in Vancouver for many kids is to earn an associates degree in HS through running start and then launch off to UW or WSU as an incoming sophomore or junior. So you do have that route in WA if college costs are the major factor.

I expect that eventually WSU-Vancouver will become a larger and more comprehensive option as the region grows. They certainly have plenty of room for expansion and appear to have planned for it. But that isn't likely to happen within your time frame. That's probably more of a 20 year type project.
We're not too worried about them commuting from home if they want to. I think that desire to 'get out' of the house at 18 is really more family specific. I've seen it work out very well both ways and the converse when they left just to go... somewhere/anywhere else. Hollywood Blvd. is lined with these street kids who I'd come to know while living down there.

Portland's higher education is limited in a quirky sort of way which is probably reflective of the city as well. That said, we just hired a young computer science grad from Portland State U. I'm kind of surprised he wanted to take a remote position so far away in CA as his first job. But he seems very motivated and capable. It just seems strange he wouldn't go to work for Nike or some other local company or possibly something else in Seattle. Though ours is admittedly a larger tech company than most in Portland. Maybe it aligns more with his long term goals? We don't put too much weight on pedigrees if the grad demonstrated ambition while in school. Though I'm not sure if most PNW companies are that open minded toward PSU grads.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-01-2018 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area