Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 04:23 PM

14 posts, read 23,707 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of retiring to Vancouver from San Francisco. I lived in the Portland area 15 years ago for a year and generally know the region. I loved living there but had to leave for job reasons. Because home prices are less in Vancouver (I want a view) I would buy there instead of in Portland.

General question, would you suggest staying at an extended stay hotel or renting a furnished apartment for a month or so? Or AirBnB?

Beyond that, is Vancouver a retiree friendly city with a mix of ages? Are there certain neighborhoods with large over 55 populations? Is the public transportation good in Vancouver? I know it is excellent in Portland. I don't like driving.

Any suggestions or ideas appreciated. The only issue would be I know no one in the area. Still, the Portland/Vancouver area and the Washington State banana belt are top destinations for retirees from other parts of the country. Oh yes, the weather - loved it when I lived in Portland and still would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 04:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
https://www.cityofvancouver.us/messenger

I would consider living here (or nearby)

(Transit center, Clark College, Library, Downtown are all close walking distance. Fred Meyer walkable too)
https://historictrustproperties.org/

Neighborhoods of my choice (circled)
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ghborhoods.jpg

Old 06-12-2018, 05:15 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Transit is much worse in Vancouver than in Portland but it does exist. It depends on where you want to go.

The downtown area has a growing number of upscale apartments and seems poised to eventually attract some sort of upscale grocery. That is the most pedestrian friendly option. Every month some new project gets proposed. That will give you the best bus access to Portland and is the central hub for most of the C-Tran bus routes. There will eventually be a lot of upscale apartments built along the Vancouver waterfront just west of the I-5 bridge in a year or two which would be a good option if it is in your budget.

A more suburban option would be to live in the Fisher's Landing area of East Vancouver. It's a newer upscale suburban area. Lots of apartments and town houses along 164th. You would actually have more shopping within walking distance here as there is a Fred Meyer, New Seasons Market, and Whole Foods all along 164th and a whole bunch of restaurants.
There is also the 37 bus which runs to downtown Vancouver. You would also be next to the Fishers Landing Transit Center where you can get express buses to downtown Portland and you are super close to the Portland Airport if you fly frequently.

Those are the two choices that come to mind as the most viable if you want to avoid driving. Most everywhere else in Vancouver is going to require more driving for daily business.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,813 times
Thanks for posting this OP. I am also thinking of retiring in Vancouver. Currently in Southern California and getting taxed to death. We have considered Northern Arizona because not too hot, but I like the idea of no state income tax in Washington. My question for anyone: how much does it really rain in Vancouver? I am not too familiar with the weather. Are most days generally overcast and grey? How much sunshine do you really get? We are pretty used to the ideal weather here, that's about the only thing I will miss. We too like the idea of a 55+ active community, done with raising kids and like the idea of peace and quiet. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. And please don't hate on us potentially relocating Californians. We are just middle class normal working people who are gettting taxed to death here. Thank you in advance, much appreciated.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. The transit options sound more problematic than Portland. Fisher's Landing sounds like a possibility though I want an elevated location with a view of the water or the mountains. I drive but have had eye problems in the past and worry about a future should I not be able to drive. It sounds as if one can easily get by without a car in Portland. I may have to consider that as an option despite the much higher homes prices.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
Just driving around I have been seeing a number of 55+ condo communities being built. Some with views.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:42 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug1245 View Post
Thanks for the replies. The transit options sound more problematic than Portland. Fisher's Landing sounds like a possibility though I want an elevated location with a view of the water or the mountains. I drive but have had eye problems in the past and worry about a future should I not be able to drive. It sounds as if one can easily get by without a car in Portland. I may have to consider that as an option despite the much higher homes prices.
They are higher but not MUCH higher. Vancouver is really in the middle of the Portland metro area so prices more or less go up in step with Portland’s. So off the top of my head I’d say maybe 10 percent higher? Depends on the neighborhood of course. If you want views that will cost more. Probably much more. Unless you go up in a multi story building and gain views that way.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
cVan (free / discounted rides) has worked wonderful for many seniors we have assisted. Including a couple in Washougal that got hauled to senior lunch by cVan ... 4x / week for 20+ yrs + to many of their appointments.

There is very close housing (some for seniors) near Van Mall transit center. Fisher Transit Center has some 'walkable' homes nearby,

Vancouver buses do not run very frequently (compared to Portland) but it is possible to live in Vancouver without a car,... many do.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:56 PM

Thanks StealthRabbit for all the info. As to driving, there is always uber. I'll check out some of the neighborhoods you suggested. Googling prices and homes with a view there are quite a few in the low 300s. I'll try mapping them to your suggestions. And mapping to see if they are close to shopping venues.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:37 PM

113 posts, read 128,020 times
I retired to the Vancouver area. We rented for a year to get to know the area then ended up buying just north of Vancouver proper (NE 119th Street and 117th Ave area). I'm glad we rented, though we did not need a whole year, just couldn't find a shorter lease looking from afar. I don't think you'll have any problem find like minded people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area