Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 12:30 AM

8,175 posts, read 16,565,453 times

Advertisements

I'm curious where folks go to celebrate the 4th of July and watch firework shows?

Are there places you can see them over the water? I've heard Portland has some shows over the water. If you go on a hill either side of the Columbia are there decent lookouts or maybe from the waterfronts?

I know there is always a trade-off between good viewing locations and parking, crowds. But sometimes its worth it to see the show. When we lived in CO we could drive up on a hill and actually watch half a dozen shows at one time. They were very into celebrating there unlike where we live now in Monterey. We used to have shows over the water about a decade ago. Now they just have a daytime parade which is a bit boring by comparison.

I found this shot of Portland on Flickr which looks pretty awesome:

https://flic.kr/p/a1w1C3

Thanks,
Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 11:06 AM

5,288 posts, read 7,579,799 times
The biggest show in the region (perhaps the whole northwest?) is at Fort Vancouver. People get there way early with lawn chairs and blankets and coolers full of food and make it an evening:

https://www.thehistorictrust.org/cal...s-spectacular/

As for "stealth" locations where you can see the fireworks without actually paying and joining the crowds. I don't really know. It isn't really our thing anymore. Kids are too old to get excited about it. They'd rather shoot some small ones off in our driveway and call it a night.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:09 PM

10 posts, read 6,876 times
As texasdiver said, the best show in the area is happening at Fort Vancouver. There will be a mass of people, but it is 100% worth it. The show is fantastic. Parking is rough, though so get there earlier and plan to walk a little ways. Our office has 3 large parking lots that the city usually ropes off for those going to the event, so feel free to park there. It's just a short 10 min walk to the Fort. 2211 E Mill Plain Blvd.

https://www.pdxpipeline.com/events/p...4th-fireworks/ shows a lot of events that could be what you'd want. I imagine you can look at these event locations and then park yourself on the opposite bank of the Columbia. Wintler Park might be a great place to go. Also the Waterfront Renaissance Trail, from start to finish. I imagine you might be surrounded by fireworks if you choose the right spot at the Waterfront Renaissance Trail, because the Fort borders part of the trail on the north. It just depends on when the shows happen.

I hope that helps!

Old 07-03-2018, 02:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,731,562 times
We used to go to Clark College or down on our sailboat on the Columbia (in that row of marinas about where the airport tower is west to Hayden Island). I don't recommend actually leaving the dock to see the fireworks - there are an awful lot of very drunk people out on the river.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 07-03-2018, 04:20 PM

17,082 posts, read 11,930,016 times
I hear the Fort Vancouver show is the biggest west of the Mississippi. Also hear going out onto the I-5 bridge is a fantastic experience.

But here in Battle Ground there's no need to go anywhere. The whole city is lit up with folks launching professional grade mortars from the street by the thousands.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 PM

Wow, thanks for all the tips guys/gals! It sounds like folks enjoying celebrating in the area which is good to know.

Derek

Old 07-03-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I hear the Fort Vancouver show is the biggest west of the Mississippi. Also hear going out onto the I-5 bridge is a fantastic experience.

But here in Battle Ground there's no need to go anywhere. The whole city is lit up with folks launching professional grade mortars from the street by the thousands.
This sounds like the 'old days' where I grew up in CA before years upon years of restrictions combined to result in a very 'limited' celebration experience. Monterey does a 'laser light show' now instead, for example.

I wonder if there are other areas like Battle Ground in nearby WA? Is there something unique with it in terms of being less restrictive? Conversely, are there other neighborhoods that are super restrictive such as those in Camas, etc..? Like no fireworks allowed in your neighborhood at all similar to ours? Folks still do but they are strongly discouraged with fines and big warning signs. Normally I don't mind some of the 'nanny' laws we have in CA. But on the 4th it does seem to have swung too far in certain areas.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-03-2018 at 08:46 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 11:38 PM

17,082 posts, read 11,930,016 times
They’re banned inside Vancouver(and Camas/Washougal) city limits outright. North of 219th St including BG is a free for all from June 29th to July 4th. But next year that changes to just be on the 4th, but still a free for all as far as what you can launch. Presume they had that range in case it rained on the 4th but it’s a bit much to live in a war zone for a week.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,554 posts, read 57,471,708 times
My favorite WAS from the I-5 Bridge (when they did the barge blast), few yrs ago they retreated back to Pearson airfield and the Ft Vancouver Parade Grounds is about best (tho crowded). Tough now that they are blocking all the roads early, as we used to just scoot into a Bank drive-up window about 9:30pm, then hike 10 min to the park. But now you cannot get anywhere near after 7pm. Bring bikes! lock them on the bridge next to the Academy / Library, hike in 3 minutes. Last yr, had a parking spot on the street at Academy, Got out before the crowd retreated.

As OP mentioned... Not quite like Colorado. We would ride our MC up Storm Mtn and watch a 360 deg view of many cities, from Cheyenne to South Denver, and Estes Park blasting off behind us.

I have enjoyed Stevenson / Cascade Locks fireworks, and a nice pretty drive to get there! (20 min for me). Minimal traffic, no lights, EZ escape.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:45 AM

147 posts, read 149,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
They’re banned inside Vancouver(and Camas/Washougal) city limits outright. North of 219th St including BG is a free for all from June 29th to July 4th. But next year that changes to just be on the 4th, but still a free for all as far as what you can launch. Presume they had that range in case it rained on the 4th but it’s a bit much to live in a war zone for a week.
No they’re still legal on a few days in Camas and Washougal. OP, no need to go to an event in Camas , grab a chair and sit on your driveway.

Camas reduces fireworks days, beefs up enforcement | Camas-Washougal Post-Record
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area