Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 01:45 PM

185 posts, read 275,723 times

Advertisements

Yes, we are Oregonians, thinking about moving to the Vancouver area again.
We actually lived in the Vancouver area for 1 year about 8 years ago, but I know things have changed.

My hubby was just offered a job that is located downtown Portland... so we already know about the commute over the bridge.

SOOoOo....Why not stay in Oregon? Well.... the housing prices and availability are crazy in Portland and the surrounding areas.
We even considered moving to Gresham but....$300,000 for a flip...no thank you.
A house we bought in Sandy, Oregon for 150,000 11 years ago is now selling for $375,000. Crazy.
We even thought about separating the family for awhile because of the housing issue.
I would live in Southern Oregon while my hubby lives near Portland, but.... no one really likes that idea.

We would like a to buy a new/newer home with no issues since our flipping days are over.

I also like Vancouver since it has things to do for teens. Iceskating rink, Big Al's etc....

I know there is a lot of crime in the Vancouver area, but has it gotten better, worse or the same since 8 years ago?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 02:10 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,737,640 times
As a parent of teenagers, I would shop in the Camas, Union, Mountain View, Columbia River, or Skyview high school attendance zones.

If it were me and I was looking for a newer house I'd look at the East Vancouver or West Camas areas along 164th or 192nd Ave and then just take the C-Tran Express buses to downtown Portland every day from the Fishers Landing Transit Center. Bring an iPad, thermos of coffee, and relax on the bus. And do what you can to work off-hours or telecommute. There isn't a lot of brand new construction right around there but there is plenty of fairly new construction. The brand new subdivisions are mostly going to be further out where there is still vacant land but that means further commutes, less services nearby, and often worse schools as you push north into places like Battle Ground.

Yes the 205 bridge is further from downtown Portland but one advantage to commuting from East Vancouver is that you have your pick of bridges. As you drive in on Highway 14 from East Vancouver or Camas you can exit onto the 205 bridge or just continue straight on 14 to the I-5 bridge. That section of Highway 14 is usually fairly lightly traveled until you get to the bridges themselves. So if there is a major accident or issue on one bridge you just take the other. If you are commuting in from north Vancouver areas like Felida, Salmon Creek, or Ridgefield you basically only have the I-5 bridge and no other alternatives except for driving a REALLY long way around on 205. Plus, I expect someday in the next decade the I-5 bridge will fail and cause long-term nightmares for everyone in west Vancouver.

Last edited by texasdiver; 07-09-2018 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 02:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
As a parent of teenagers, I would shop in the Camas, Union, Mountain View, Columbia River, or Skyview high school attendance zones.

If it were me and I was looking for a newer house I'd look at the East Vancouver or West Camas areas along 164th or 192nd Ave and then just take the C-Tran Express buses to downtown Portland every day from the Fishers Landing Transit Center. ....
I have several friends who use Ctran Express Bus to Downtown Portland (for almost 20 yrs). Can be an hour, usually 40 - 45 min. NO parking / driving stress, / fuel costs... just time lost (which is gonna happen however you commute.). Many employers offer free passes for bus (Incentive for Commute reduction / tax perks for employers)

Crime? you can look at the stats and stay 99% crime free in Vancouver / Camas / Felida

I would stay out of Orchards (tho some areas are fine... typically more rentals / petty issues for homeowners.

$375k will require you to be selective on purchase. I NEVER use a realtor, and prefer to dig up my own deals (before the realtor arrives). If it is listed For Sale... you are much too late and will be in competition with thousands of other shoppers.

bit of effort, but a good way to save $20k - $150k.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have several friends who use Ctran Express Bus to Downtown Portland (for almost 20 yrs). Can be an hour, usually 40 - 45 min. NO parking / driving stress, / fuel costs... just time lost (which is gonna happen however you commute.). Many employers offer free passes for bus (Incentive for Commute reduction / tax perks for employers)

$375k will require you to be selective on purchase. .
Really? Because I've seen hew homes in the range of $320-350,000 around the Couve area.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:28 AM

147 posts, read 150,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking.Bigfoot View Post
Yes, we are Oregonians, thinking about moving to the Vancouver area again.

I know there is a lot of crime in the Vancouver area, but has it gotten better, worse or the same since 8 years ago?

Thanks for any help.
I’m curious about this “crime” in Vancouver. Vancouver is much safer than Portland and safer than most cities its size, google it.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2017 View Post
I’m curious about this “crime” in Vancouver. Vancouver is much safer than Portland and safer than most cities its size, google it.
I had some friends that lived around the Vancouver area 5 years ago and they had their car broken into and another car actually stolen. I know there is crime everywhere, but I was just wondering if it's gotten better or worse or same? I'm not afraid of Vancouver. I enjoyed it while I did live there for a year.

My hubby is going to be working downtown PDX....but I really don't want to live anywhere near Portland. The increased homeless population is really bad/sad. Crime is way up.
Paid Antifa protesters making Portland a war zone is stupid. The list goes on....

I "loved" Portland when you could just hang out at waterfront park and enjoy the day...or Saturday market, but geeze....no more. Last time I went downtown to check out some food carts with my kids.... we literally had to step over homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks. Kate Brown needs to go Bye-bye and stop taking $$$$$$ from Soros.

So yeah....I'm leaning more and more towards the Washington side...

Wondering how many other Oregonians have jumped the boarder to Washington?

Old 07-11-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking.Bigfoot View Post

Wondering how many other Oregonians have jumped the boarder to Washington?
"jumped the bo_rder to Washington" = ~200 / month Oregonians come to JUST to Clark County (for the last 20 yrs)

yup... "I've seen hew homes in the range of $320-350,000"... $300k for TRACT homes = entry / mid range. Why someone would ever buy a new Tract home, I do not know... but someone must think it is a solution, plenty have sold throughout the USA . SELLING a tract home. .... yikes... competition / how would yours be any different than the other 1000 that are for sale.

so... spend your $375k VERY wisely in this market! (only buy a view / unique / special interest home, you might be stuck YRS with a bummer house)

Old 07-11-2018, 06:34 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
yup... "I've seen hew homes in the range of $320-350,000"... $300k for TRACT homes = entry / mid range. Why someone would ever buy a new Tract home, I do not know... but someone must think it is a solution, plenty have sold throughout the USA . SELLING a tract home. .... yikes... competition / how would yours be any different than the other 1000 that are for sale.
)
We bought a DR Horton home for $250k 2 years ago. And it just appraised at $320k for an equity line. Not bad for a tract home. Demand here is crazy. We plan to rent it out rather than sell though because the rental market is even crazier and we likely won't see an interest rate that low again in our lifetime.

A bunch of land with a great view and a custom build would be nice, but out of budget and subject to extra scrutiny by your friend the property tax assessor.

We are moving in search of some more quiet, traffic on the road we're on has grown intolerably loud. Building a new place, again in a builder's tract, but on a much more secluded lot in the northern part of Five Corners. With views of Hood and Helens just peeking over the trees.

Existing housing stock at that "entry/mid" level is no bargain I've found. Just more tract housing but in need of major updates/repairs and subject to bidding wars.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
We bought a DR Horton home for $250k 2 years ago. And it just appraised at $320k for an equity line. Not bad for a tract home. Demand here is crazy. We plan to rent it out rather than sell though because the rental market is even crazier and we likely won't see an interest rate that low again in our lifetime.

A bunch of land with a great view and a custom build would be nice, but out of budget and subject to extra scrutiny by your friend the property tax assessor.

Existing housing stock at that "entry/mid" level is no bargain I've found. Just more tract housing but in need of major updates/repairs and subject to bidding wars.
If you have a $320k RE asset, you best be getting $3200/ month gross rents, If not... sell it and buy a RE asset that will provide 10% ROC. (might not be in Clark County / and not left coast residential)
Anything LESS, you might as well be doing a REIT ETF (there is no need to be cleaning toilets)

On building / new development... You keep ahead of the assessor and ALSO collect the $500k every 2 yrs tax free gains on personal residence. (takes the assessor nearly 4 yrs to 'catch up' with 'New Construction' valuations, especially if you delay sheet rock to Sept! (gives you another yr of 'reduced rates' !) )

NO BIDDING WARS if you don't buy stuff that is already listed For Sale. You must beat the Vultures to the kill (quite ez to do).

Old 07-11-2018, 07:05 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Still debating whether to sell or rent really. Math works out to $300/month after expenses(mortgage, property manager, additional insurance, etc) while paying that mortgage down for us and continuing to reap the appreciation(14% annual!). Would only plan to keep it an additional 3 years then sell before we would incur capital gains on the appreciation. Though if we get a bum tenant that could screw the whole thing. But with the rental market so tight we can be very picky criteria wise.

Still think just sell in that scenario?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area