Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 08:38 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Anything we can find close to these lakes would be a first choice for us. Though prices are generally steep. Several here have mentioned a few of the higher end developments which are most likely out of our range. We cannot afford the Pahlisch subdivsion on the top of Prune Hill, for example. We're trying to stay under $600K which can be a challenge in these more desirable neighborhoods. It appears many like living in this general vicinity. No surprise there.

That said, I just received an announcement about new homes going up near Round Lake. It seems that at least two developers are building there, Holt Homes and DR Horton. We've already seen some smaller lot homes by DR Horton. So I'm not sure if these are more of the same. But maybe there are some going in with a little more room between houses? Here's a link to one of the Round Lake developments: Hills at Round Lake

I know folks are recommending other builders besides DR Horton. I don't know about Holt. I wonder if Manor Homes are building around the lakes as well?

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 10:21 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,737,640 times
“Hills at Round Lake” is kind of a stretch. Those are over by all the other packed in subdivisions next to Wodburn Elementary. As the crow flies they aren’t far from Round Lake but it would probably be a 2 mile drive to get there.

You sound handy. You’ll get more for your $ buying an existing home in an established neighborhood. For under $600K I’d look at places like this which is in a great location on a green belt and is 10 minutes closer to shopping and any commuting towards Portland or Vancouver.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/62801137_zpid

Or something like this which is smaller and substantially less $$ but in the same neighborhood.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/23303369_zpid/

Old 09-15-2018, 11:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
or... Walking distance... I have always liked this place...Doesn't have to be perfect, it's just a house (for the next few yrs)...
.92 acres, extra garage space, MUCH fewer neighbors! Noisy street... upgrade the windows! that is the most help for reducing noise in older home.

40,000sf lot = Plenty of space to build a NICE little cottage on a corner of the lot... for the empty nest yrs!, let your 'caregivers' (or boomerang kids) rent the main house (in your later life).

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...63_rect/14_zm/

Old 09-16-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
or... Walking distance... I have always liked this place...Doesn't have to be perfect, it's just a house (for the next few yrs)...
.92 acres, extra garage space, MUCH fewer neighbors! Noisy street... upgrade the windows! that is the most help for reducing noise in older home.

40,000sf lot = Plenty of space to build a NICE little cottage on a corner of the lot... for the empty nest yrs!, let your 'caregivers' (or boomerang kids) rent the main house (in your later life).

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...63_rect/14_zm/
That looks like one of the original 'large lot' homes built by the lake way back in the day. Zooming in to google maps it seems all of the homes on NE Everett are on similar deep lots. If they allow multiple units including a 'granny flat' or something similar that does open up some possibilities. I bet that will end up being a tear down for a much newer home/duplex at some point.

Derek

Old 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Yeah and I'd never make the mistake of buying something that close to a busy road again.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah and I'd never make the mistake of buying something that close to a busy road again.
Yes, we're looking for quieter streets we can walk and the kids go out and ride bikes, skateboards, etc... without the constant threat of getting run over by faster driving cars on their way to somewhere else. We even noticed that in some of the suburban neighborhoods on streets that more arteries to the rest of the development.

Derek

Old 09-17-2018, 01:33 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,737,640 times
That house suggested by Stealth is on a major arterial but it is 2-lane at that point. But it is SR500 and the only way to get from downtown Camas to the HS and all the new subdivisions on the other side. It all funnels through a fairly narrow section along the short of the lake with houses and businesses all buit much closer to the road than at that point. So it is a fairly busy road for Camas but not fast moving. There are 3 schools a block or two in from the other side of the road so it is a flashing school zone with crosswalks during morning and afternoon school times.

I drive by it every day. It looks like the people who own the lot next door are doing as Stealth suggests and building a second structure. The lot next door has a smaller house set way at the back of the lot and they are doing the dirt work now to build what looks like it will be a much larger house closer to the street.

I wouldn't be particularly concerned about the location as it is convenient and to the extent that the street expands it will be to add sidewalks and bike lanes not more car lanes as there are too many other bigger and older bottlenecks for it to make sense to widen the street at that point.

I would be more concerned about the state of the house. It's about 80 years old and looks like it has never been remodeled so it could take a complete gutting type remodel to bring it up to any kind of modern standards. Who knows, it may even be a tear down. Not the kind of project I'd want to take on while living in it. I would half expect some developer to buy it, bulldoze the existing house, and put up some kind of higher end spec home set back further on the lot.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
That house suggested by Stealth is on a major arterial but it is 2-lane at that point. But it is SR500 and the only way to get from downtown Camas to the HS and all the new subdivisions on the other side. It all funnels through a fairly narrow section along the short of the lake with houses and businesses all buit much closer to the road than at that point. So it is a fairly busy road for Camas but not fast moving. There are 3 schools a block or two in from the other side of the road so it is a flashing school zone with crosswalks during morning and afternoon school times.

I wouldn't be particularly concerned about the location as it is convenient and to the extent that the street expands it will be to add sidewalks and bike lanes not more car lanes as there are too many other bigger and older bottlenecks for it to make sense to widen the street at that point.

... Who knows, it may even be a tear down. Not the kind of project I'd want to take on while living in it. I would half expect some developer to buy it, bulldoze the existing house, and put up some kind of higher end spec home set back further on the lot.
I've watched these homes (adjacent) for many yrs and have some friends there. Doesn't seem to attract builders / high end residents, probably due to the neighbors (And the abundant POSH joints nearby). I am just 'practical' to a fault... driving a 42 yr old car on free fuel... OP asked to be NEAR RL and LcL, so... (The places on up across from the old Moose Lodge were farther off the road and already had spare / extra homes. )

As mentioned... "short term holding" while kids are home and need QUICK ez CENTRAL access. Renting is much ezr... put the house money into cash flowing investment grade RE. The joint I sold very cheap in Camas last yr was spinning off $4k / month. Get a few of those (much cheaper that a house) and you could be renting ANYWHERE! No need for a J-o-b.. can be off enjoying the lake! (or Tahiti as soon as the kids are gone).

no more Camas RE for me... twice / 3x... not too quick of a learner! (Tho my 'finance minded kids' were not pleased I sold EZ 'cash-flows')
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area