Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 10:49 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times

Advertisements

Hello,

After our scouting mission, we found some neighborhoods/homes we liked and many that did not really fit what we're looking for. It seems there are others in similar situations. That presents another option which is buying a home in need of 'some' work in an area one prefers and then remodeling. The level of remodel of course varies upon the home in question.

One could, for example, buy an older home that's the approximate size one is looking for and basically update it. Another option would be to buy a smaller home with the intent of expanding the livable area. Then there is the other extreme of buying a very dilapidated property with the goal of a complete rebuild. In CA they will sometimes leave 'one wall' to keep their tax status. But that's mostly for Prop 13. So its most likely not necessary in WA.

Do you know anyone who may have done one of these remodel options? I'm curious how difficult/restrictive it may be to remodel in Camas / East Vancouver? I imagine like most places the first option is the easiest when not changing the external structure of the home.

Thanks,

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 10:56 AM

147 posts, read 150,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hello,

After our scouting mission, we found some neighborhoods/homes we liked and many that did not really fit what we're looking for. It seems there are others in similar situations. That presents another option which is buying a home in need of 'some' work in an area one prefers and then remodeling. The level of remodel of course varies upon the home in question.

One could, for example, buy an older home that's the approximate size one is looking for and basically update it. Another option would be buy a smaller home with the intent of expanding the livable area. Then there is the other extreme of buying a very dilapidated property with the goal of a complete rebuild. In CA they will sometimes leave 'one wall' to keep their tax status. But that's mostly for Prop 13. So its most likely not necessary in WA.

Do you know anyone who may have done one of these remodel options? I'm curious difficult/restrictive it may be to remodel in Camas / East Vancouver?

Thanks,

Derek
We did. We remodeled our 1998 home starting in 2009 with a few projects and then a massive kitchen, flooring, bathrooms project in 2014. We also did a small addition in 2016. It is not as restrictive as many states and cities. We've needed permits for the bathrooms (shower pans), some electrical work, a gas line, and our addition.

We do not have an HOA which is unusual in Camas proper and some of them may require design review of anything major but I don't actually know, a large amount of the homes in our area have been redone and added on to. I'm happy to PM you our contractor's name if you find something you are interested in.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2017 View Post
We did. We remodeled our 1998 home starting in 2009 with a few projects and then a massive kitchen, flooring, bathrooms project in 2014. We also did a small addition in 2016. It is not as restrictive as many states and cities. We've needed permits for the bathrooms (shower pans), some electrical work, a gas line, and our addition.

We do not have an HOA which is unusual in Camas proper and some of them may require design review of anything major but I don't actually know, a large amount of the homes in our area have been redone and added on to. I'm happy to PM you our contractor's name if you find something you are interested in.
Thanks, izzy2017. That's great to hear about it not being overly restrictive there. This does open up other options. When we purchased our home in CO we liked everything about it besides the flooring. So we decided to replace the flooring with cherrywood before moving in. At the time the difference between cherry and more standard woods was very minimal. Yet the difference it made was significant and well worth the cost. When it came time to sell it really set the home apart in an area with very similar homes.

If you could PM your contractor I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-08-2018 at 11:53 AM..

Old 09-08-2018, 12:54 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Depends on whether a property is in the city or county. Cities tend to be a bit more restrictive and have a few more permitting fees. But in general, unless you buy a property that has some type of land restriction associated with it (wetlands, etc) there is nothing out of line with anywhere else. (Speaking of which, buy properties in winter - the wettest part - so you can see drainage issues.)

The house we lived in went from county to city during an annexation and there were definitely changes for things like permits for fences.

Clark County didn't really have much of a building code prior to the mid-70s, so watch buying older properties. If you are remodeling, the remodel will have to be up to modern code, which may require reworking areas you aren't planning on remodeling because of code issues.

PBT was used locally for water supply piping and plumbing during the late 70s to early 90s and most of it failed during the subsequent 20 years, but some might be around. Asbestos was commonly used in tiles, popcorn ceilings, drywall mud, flooring glues and pipe wrap prior to the 80s (that is true pretty much everywhere in the US).
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-08-2018, 01:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
This is why I have a bulldozer and excavator and dump truck..)

Buy a junker and demolish (if necessary), but MUCH easier than building from scratch and NO (minimal) impact fees (Very important in Camas).

We have done several remodels as well. IN (4) WA counties, Clark is most restrictive, city of Camas 2x more trouble. But... price of admission.

rarely have a contractor... these were 'homeschool projects'

Kids needed something to do with all their free time, good for them to keep their hands busy and learn a few skills, and realize they might not want to run a shovel or hammer the rest of their life... (college incentive). Good for their earnings / college funds (each had ~ $100k by age 18, FREE Running Start (2 yrs), so no... I did not pay for their remaining 2 yrs of college)

Old 09-08-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
This is why I have a bulldozer and excavator and dump truck..)

Buy a junker and demolish (if necessary), but MUCH easier than building from scratch and NO (minimal) impact fees (Very important in Camas).

We have done several remodels as well. IN (4) WA counties, Clark is most restrictive, city of Camas 2x more trouble. But... price of admission.

rarely have a contractor... these were 'homeschool projects'

Kids needed something to do with all their free time, good for them to keep their hands busy and learn a few skills, and realize they might not want to run a shovel or hammer the rest of their life... (college incentive). Good for their earnings / college funds (each had ~ $100k by age 18, FREE Running Start (2 yrs), so no... I did not pay for their remaining 2 yrs of college)
Thanks, Stealth. Buying a junker is actually appealing in a nicer location. And a total rebuild would be easier than starting on an unimproved lot.

There's probably a certain point at which there would be more work to remodel than rebuild - diminishing returns. I did some remodel work while young and if working with a really old property it can become a huge money pit with unexpected costs due to many factors - poorer than expected initial construction, not up to current codes, bad pipes, water damage, electrical, cracked foundation, asbestos, lead paint, etc...

Now if the homes is in 'relatively' decent shape it may just need a major/minor face lift (kitchen, bath, new floors, appliances, cabinets, roof, patio).

Derek

Old 09-08-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Depends on whether a property is in the city or county. Cities tend to be a bit more restrictive and have a few more permitting fees. But in general, unless you buy a property that has some type of land restriction associated with it (wetlands, etc) there is nothing out of line with anywhere else. (Speaking of which, buy properties in winter - the wettest part - so you can see drainage issues.)

The house we lived in went from county to city during an annexation and there were definitely changes for things like permits for fences.

Clark County didn't really have much of a building code prior to the mid-70s, so watch buying older properties. If you are remodeling, the remodel will have to be up to modern code, which may require reworking areas you aren't planning on remodeling because of code issues.

PBT was used locally for water supply piping and plumbing during the late 70s to early 90s and most of it failed during the subsequent 20 years, but some might be around. Asbestos was commonly used in tiles, popcorn ceilings, drywall mud, flooring glues and pipe wrap prior to the 80s (that is true pretty much everywhere in the US).
Yes, its good to be aware of these things when considering remodels. Having worked in construction remodels as a young man, I cringe when when folks romanticize about owning a really old home. I can't help but have flashbacks of working on them with asbestos and many other old, rotting materials for many hours. It helped me learn what I *didn't* want to do for a profession or home owner.

Derek

Old 09-09-2018, 08:54 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, its good to be aware of these things when considering remodels. Having worked in construction remodels as a young man, I cringe when when folks romanticize about owning a really old home. I can't help but have flashbacks of working on them with asbestos and many other old, rotting materials for many hours. It helped me learn what I *didn't* want to do for a profession or home owner.
When we bought a house here, I looked at a couple charming older houses - it's not repairing the initial house that is the problem to me, it's working on the remodel of a remodel of a remodel and all the extra problems that have been built in over the years. For the house we are in now, we use the previous owner's last name as a swear word when we are working on the house.

I don't recommend a complete tear-down within city limits, the permitting and planning issues will be much more difficult than a remodel or addition. City planning tends to discourage the "build to the lot lines" tear-downs, particularly in older neighborhoods and a lot of the planning issues reflect that (although in new subdivisions they approve larger houses on smaller lots for density reasons).

City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-09-2018, 09:23 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
The City of Vancouver is currently offering perks and zoning benefits to add ADU's (rarely offered).

Might be an option since your kids are older and won't be home too many more years.. Find a Nice BIG lot, add a shop / garage with apartment, or a MIL house... Future 'caregiver' / guest / tenant home.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:28 PM

103 posts, read 91,331 times
I wouldn't recommend an aggressive remodel/renovation. If you are relocating that probably means that you are not making the move until the house is completed. Whenever you are getting into older houses and renovating there are surprises. Stuff literally comes up every day. Managing that sort of thing when you're local is hard enough, from two states away, I'd say forget it. If you find a tear down, I think that would be the better choice. There are tons of builders in Clark county and you should be able to get them to deliver something turn key with fairly minimal involvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: