U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 02:22 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,320,102 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I was just wondering what some of the locals thought about the Vancouver Tech scene? Obviously some folks work remotely or cross the bridge to work in PDX. But do you see opportunities increasing or more tech professionals on the Washington side? Or do you think it's more stagnant for the most part?

I'll be working remotely as a techie. But my son will also be majoring in Computer Science and attending Clark College initially while looking for summer internships, etc... before transferring to a WA university. He was able to find a really good internship this past summer with the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) where they do lots of interesting research.

Thanks,

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 02:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,409 posts, read 39,766,906 times
Vancouver Tech Scene is really quite diversified.

Semiconductors to electro mechanical and bio-med.

I've always been employed on the mechanical side of tech in SWWA (40+YRS) with a lot of CS and IT coworkers. (And many tech contracting firms, ex-coworkers (early retirees who like to sail a lot...) are commanding $100/ hr as contractors in local high tech. (Simplexity, Ziba...) There is plenty of work! / innovation / opportunities to network.

friends and coworkers in High Tech at;
BPA
USFS
USGS - Cascade Volcano Research Center
US Corp of Engineers
Micropump
US Digital
HP
Linear Technologies
SEH
Sigma Design (lots of excellent variety / clients) and a good place to work.
Fisher Investments (not such a good employer, but interesting / valuable place to learn)
WSU-V
Insitu
Many more (+ a few startups in Battleground, Camas and Washougal)

I am quite partial to this nearby alliance. (5 counties (OR + WA) in the Columbia Gorge... to the east of Clark County WA. Meetings / events Stevenson to Goldendale.

Welcome! - Gorge Technology Alliance

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-14-2018 at 03:00 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 11:17 PM

That's quite a list, StealthRabbit. It's encouraging to know the Tech Scene is so diverse in Vancouver. Nice to hear the top guys are earning good pay to.

We visited Clark College while in the area with our son. It seems like a good school for completing one's lower division course work. I wonder if they help some of the college students to find local summer jobs/internships in the area? After finishing his first two years he's pretty set on going to UW Seattle or Bothell. And there are plenty of companies up there to work for obviously. But it would nice if there were some options in the Vancouver area as well if he decides to work in Vancouver.

For me, I'm fine with working remote. But it would also be nice if their were local options available also. Heck, at some point when I retire I'll probably still want something interesting to do, maybe some consulting work, etc...

Derek

Old 10-28-2018, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 319 times
I work in the tech sector as an engineer. One thing to note is that although there are many companies in the area (WaferTech), the largest one has about 1K employees, and the rest are considerably smaller. Linear has around 200 employees.

WaferTech and Linear often have a couple of spots open for software developers. HP usually has positions open for Cloud Computing experts. Encourage yous on to check out some of these companies for an internship in 2019. They'll start posting in a few months( Feb-Mar time frame). Again, the overall number of positions is a fraction of what is available in OR, but some one like you son with a internship under his belt will be a competitive candidate. However, I can totally see your son getting seduced by one of the companies around Seattle if he ends up at UW and staying there.
Good luck.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms123 View Post
I work in the tech sector as an engineer. One thing to note is that although there are many companies in the area (WaferTech), the largest one has about 1K employees, and the rest are considerably smaller. Linear has around 200 employees.

WaferTech and Linear often have a couple of spots open for software developers. HP usually has positions open for Cloud Computing experts. Encourage yous on to check out some of these companies for an internship in 2019. They'll start posting in a few months( Feb-Mar time frame). Again, the overall number of positions is a fraction of what is available in OR, but some one like you son with a internship under his belt will be a competitive candidate. However, I can totally see your son getting seduced by one of the companies around Seattle if he ends up at UW and staying there.
Good luck.
Hey rms123,

So cool of you to respond to my question, especially as your first post! Thank you for that, seriously, and welcome to the forum. Good to know about WaferTech and Linear as well as HP.

You know we live in a rather small area as well in terms of the tech scene here in Monterey under the shadow of the Silicon Valley to the north. But like I tell my kids when looking for work - you only need 'one' good job. And as it turns out the best one I've ever found has been right here in a smaller community. So I never count these types of places out. You just never know what you'll discover.

I also work in cloud computing as a cloud architect currently. So it's interesting to hear about HP hiring cloud experts.

Regarding summer internships, that's very helpful to know about posting starting in the next few month. I guess we should begin looking sooner rather than later at the companies' individual websites for these types of opportunities. For the Navy job he had to start earlier as well to make sure he got through their vetting process which takes longer through the gov't.

I know what you mean about the Seattle area. Lots of cool stuff going on up there right now in terms of tech.

Thanks again!

Derek

Old 11-18-2018, 09:02 PM

9 posts, read 6,396 times
Ahh, this is great to know. I work on the content/Web side of tech, so I like to see a healthy tech scene. Thanks for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or