Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 01:30 PM

102,063 posts, read 107,003,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
It would sure take a lot to heat or cool that big place. Surprising taxes aren't too bad for such a large place. Couldn't imagine being an empty nester with so much home not being used/needed. The only reason we're looking for a 4+ BR is that we've got three teenagers to house and feed currently. Eventually, we will likely downsize a bit once they're off to college.

Derek
Since it will only be a few years until they're all off to college and beyond, maybe you could look for something like a 3 br. place with a basement bonus room, or something of that nature. Something with a flexible space plan, so you wouldn't have to downsize eventually. For example, I've seen craftsman homes, that are basically a 2-br. on main floor, but they have a lot of bonus space in the daylight basement, or some don't have a basement, but have 2 additional attic bedrooms. These are advertised as 4-br. houses, when in fact, they were originally designed as 2-br. plus bonus attic space, and the attic space was later converted into two bedrooms.

Just an example, but you get the idea. Moves are expensive and stressful. Just trying to save you the trouble of an extra one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2018, 04:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,601 posts, read 57,556,690 times
We heat and cool 5000+ sf for <$100 / month in probably the harshest climate in SW WA (elevation + 80 mph wind (ICE this morning) )

Multiple living spaces offer lots of flexibility
2800 SF daylight basement full service (Kitchen / laundry / garage) make a nice place for:
  1. Kids
  2. Boomerang kids
  3. eldercare
  4. Tenants (boarders ... not renters)
  5. Friends (siblings) in crisis
  6. LT guests
  7. crafts
  8. meetings
  9. caretaker
  10. caregiver
  11. self (let the caregiver have the top floor) Basements are GREAT (Quiet)

Many neighbors (and my kids) have apartments in garages for same reason.

Cannot stress the GREAT lighting strong enough.

Open South face is a must for me, Light tubes / high ceilings, Picture windows. BIG windows and LOTS of them!

Old 12-21-2018, 08:38 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,597,979 times
My heating costs here in Camas in Dec/Jan with 3000+ sf house, gas furnace and 3 gas fireplaces and gas stove and water heater are about 1/2 of what they were to cool a similar size house in Texas in July/Aug. Winter gas bills are usually about $100 and we aren't really trying to conserve. I haven't found utility costs (gas, electric, or water) to be unreasonable here at all.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:45 PM

237 posts, read 406,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Small foot print is very useful in managing Clark County Property Taxes (very SF intensive).

The assessor has several ways to apply 'Best Use / Highest tax value'

In my case they love to use $250 / SF replacement cost. I built for $38 / sf (including land). I could REBUILD for $70 SF (EZ, since well / septic / foundation is in place)

I 'rebuy' my home ... every 7 yrs from Clark County...100% of the cost.
Hi StealthRabbit, could you explain this "rebuy" thing to me?

Not familiar with the term, but sounds like there's a property tax issue in the area, and there's ways to work it down some?

Old 04-21-2019, 10:51 PM

237 posts, read 406,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Property taxes on my (5) TX properties combined is less than my (1) primary residence WA property Tax... Valuations are ~ same.

A WA rural residence (income prop) <1 minute from my primary residence is 1/10th the property tax. (Same cost basis, but ~ 30% less valuation).

(all are rural homes on view acreage, WA and TX)

*hint... don't upset your WA tax valuation appraiser.
They definitely get upset when you drag them to Olympia year after year to contest your valuation.

Taxing authority uses Multiplication (factors), Land owners only have addition and subtraction ... - you CAN NOT win against those odds!

My house burns to the ground... my WA property taxes on the bare LAND will still be over $6k / yr.

What qualifies something as "rural" and therefore 1/10th the taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area