U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:37 PM

28 posts, read 15,138 times

Advertisements

My line of work is in private nannying. Is it unrealistic to be open to a Portland commute? Should I just set my sights at Camas and Vancouver? Availability of a variety of parks, indoor play spaces, museums, librarys etc is important to me as I enjoy being active as a nanny. I just presumed Portland would have a ton of options, but I'm not sure how practical the commute is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 11:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
Are you a mobile Nanny?

Draw a 1 Mile dia circle around LaCamas Swim and Sport and find your clients and hopefully a place to live (a cozy carriage house for FREE . cheap!). (WA is income tax free and Camas has a LOT of very well off professional families who use nannies. Community is quite supportive.

Then take your 'charges' (kids) to various great local and Portland venues. Start with the Camas Library and Liberty Theater! (and Camas Co-op Play park) https://www.facebook.com/CamasPlayPark/

Check for free museum days and 'rehearsals' in Portland (Universities and concert venues), Look into WSU-V and Clark College early Childhood programs, as they have community events.

Ft Vancouver Library district has a lot of very near and accessible branches and programs.
As a Clark resident, you can also get Multnomah County Library card / access. If you take a class at one of the 20+ U's in Portland you will get access to academic libraries and content.

Fun field trip to Beacon Rock, Skamania Lodge (Great library for games and view) / Bonneville Dam visitors centers / gardens / hatchery / Swimming in Stevenson / Kayaking on inland waters / bike riding / hiking North Bonneville / return home via I-84 / Crown Point Vista house / Scenic Highway).

For 'social life' / variety... you can venture into Portland, or join one of several local hiking / photo / biking / dance / gardening / volunteer (many parks in area + wildlife refuge offer great volunteer groups).

Remember< 2 hrs to... Ft Vancouver National Park site (20 min), Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, OR Coast, Ft Clatsop, Lewis and Clark visitor centers (east and west) and Oregon Trail visitor centers, Mt Hood recreation areas, very good place for 'learning / teaching'. This group has a zillion resources that could benefit your contribution as nanny. Clark County Home Educators - News & Events Many Homeschool students do PT and FT nanny gigs. In Hockinson area there are a lot of 'international' nanny's (20 something young adults from Scandinavian countries). My coworkers and Hockinson friends have been hosting these young adults for 20+ yrs (They usually come for 8 months to a yr). It would be really interesting to team with some of those families to gain international perspective and future travel friends. (for yourself and your client's kids).

Best wishes on finding your 'spot' / ideal situation and employer. (You can afford to be picky, the right situation is out there).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-09-2019 at 11:49 PM..

Old 02-09-2019, 11:41 PM

2,847 posts, read 3,949,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadesofkray View Post
My line of work is in private nannying. Is it unrealistic to be open to a Portland commute? Should I just set my sights at Camas and Vancouver? Availability of a variety of parks, indoor play spaces, museums, librarys etc is important to me as I enjoy being active as a nanny. I just presumed Portland would have a ton of options, but I'm not sure how practical the commute is.
Going over to Portland during off-peak hours is trivial. It is a headache during rush hour. So kind of depends on the hours. I would focus first on affluent clientel in Camas and Vancouver. You can always take the kids across the river to the museums and such during mid-day excursions.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,732,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Fishers Landing and the western edge of Camas near 192nd will be your best bet for easy commuting to school jobs elsewhere in the county. In descending order of size (more or less)

Evergreen (4 high schools plus magnets)
Vancouver (4 high schools plus magnets)
Battle Ground (2 high schools)
Camas (1 large HS plus magnets)
Ridgefield (one 2A high school)
Hockinson (one 2A high school)
Washougal (one 2A high school)
La Center (one 2A high school)
Woodland (one 2A high school)

You can use google maps to figure out distances and commuting times. Woodland and La Center will be the farthest. You could also apply for jobs in Skamania County out the Gorge. .....
for those looking for (unique) elementary teaching gigs... DON'T miss out on

Old 02-10-2019, 01:39 PM

Not a mobile nanny, I generally do a contract with one family. I'm been with my current charge for just under 2 years and work out of their home.

I agree about the time frames. I've done that quite a bit....trekked to an activity during non prime hours as my current family is in the suburbs. I like the flexibility of driving so don't need to work in an area that's very walkable. Our walks are usually neighborhood trails and then we drive to library story time, gymnastics, swimming, various parks, and play spaces.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Are you a mobile Nanny?

Draw a 1 Mile dia circle around LaCamas Swim and Sport and find your clients and hopefully a place to live (a cozy carriage house for FREE . cheap!). (WA is income tax free and Camas has a LOT of very well off professional families who use nannies. Community is quite supportive.

Then take your 'charges' (kids) to various great local and Portland venues. Start with the Camas Library and Liberty Theater! (and Camas Co-op Play park) https://www.facebook.com/CamasPlayPark/

Check for free museum days and 'rehearsals' in Portland (Universities and concert venues), Look into WSU-V and Clark College early Childhood programs, as they have community events.

Ft Vancouver Library district has a lot of very near and accessible branches and programs.
As a Clark resident, you can also get Multnomah County Library card / access. If you take a class at one of the 20+ U's in Portland you will get access to academic libraries and content.

Fun field trip to Beacon Rock, Skamania Lodge (Great library for games and view) / Bonneville Dam visitors centers / gardens / hatchery / Swimming in Stevenson / Kayaking on inland waters / bike riding / hiking North Bonneville / return home via I-84 / Crown Point Vista house / Scenic Highway).

For 'social life' / variety... you can venture into Portland, or join one of several local hiking / photo / biking / dance / gardening / volunteer (many parks in area + wildlife refuge offer great volunteer groups).

Remember< 2 hrs to... Ft Vancouver National Park site (20 min), Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, OR Coast, Ft Clatsop, Lewis and Clark visitor centers (east and west) and Oregon Trail visitor centers, Mt Hood recreation areas, very good place for 'learning / teaching'. This group has a zillion resources that could benefit your contribution as nanny. Clark County Home Educators - News & Events Many Homeschool students do PT and FT nanny gigs. In Hockinson area there are a lot of 'international' nanny's (20 something young adults from Scandinavian countries). My coworkers and Hockinson friends have been hosting these young adults for 20+ yrs (They usually come for 8 months to a yr). It would be really interesting to team with some of those families to gain international perspective and future travel friends. (for yourself and your client's kids).

Best wishes on finding your 'spot' / ideal situation and employer. (You can afford to be picky, the right situation is out there).
All helpful tips, thank you! We actually lived in Seattle for 6 1/2 years before moving to the East Coast. Now we want to move back, and Camas provides better day to day livability while having a lot of the aspects we liked about citys surrounding Seattle. There are activities we enjoy doing there a few times a year, so it's close enough to visit weekends a few times a year while being a better place to live IMO for the day to day. It's reassuring to know there's a market in Camas / Vancouver for nannies.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:53 PM

347 posts, read 266,209 times
My kids in Portland had nannies when the grandkids were babies. They are still preschool age, but go to preschool/daycare now. Two of the families had the same nanny for 2 years. However, all the nannies were employed through Nanny services. When they were ready for a nanny, they signed up for the service, had background checks, and several nannies who fit the profile were sent by the service to interview. They ended up with very good nannies, including one who commuted from Vancouver. The kids are medical providers, so left for work early. The nanny was at their house by 6:30 or 7:00am. I suppose the commute was OK by that time, but today I think it would still be slow.....this was 5 or 6 years ago. Eventually, the Vancouver nanny took a job in Vancouver. They also use the nanny service to call for a nanny when one of the kids wakes up sick. I think all of these nannies have come from Portland. Sometimes they call the nanny service for a babysitter on a weekend night, but usually a teacher from the preschool/daycare also babysits.

I would think there would be a market for nannies in Camas, east Vancouver, Ridgefield, Felida, etc.

A tip: According to my kids, the main branch of the Vancouver Public Library has great preschool story time.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:50 PM

17 posts, read 19,912 times
Is the housing market in Vancouver/Camas still pretty crazy where homes are still getting 10-15 offers with 15-20k over asking?
I'm seeing 90% new homes vs resell homes in 375-525K range which is frustrating the least to say. Not into brand new homes especially in the Woodburn area behind LaCamas Lake. Another new homes site is where Green Mountain Golf Course was. Anyone have any thoughts on those builders or that area? Another area is behind Camas Meadows GC where they are adding more condo's.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:34 PM

2,847 posts, read 3,949,845 times
Our neighbors took about 4-5 months to sell their house this winter. Low $600s. Finally sold it for perhaps $25k under the original listing price and "zestimate"

When we were hope shopping 3 years ago the same house probably would have sold in a week or less.

I think things are much tighter at the bottom end of the market because not a lot being built and a lot more people wanting to move to this area only qualify at the bottom end of the market.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:02 PM

113 posts, read 53,112 times
I agree with texasdiver. I'd call our current housing market pretty healthy without being stupid Under 600K in a nice neighborhood without extreme updating needed or something weird with the lot and you will sell pretty quickly, over 600K seems to be the sticking point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or