U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 09:52 AM

347 posts, read 265,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Canby is south of Oregon City and just outside of reasonable commuting distance to Portland so it is still a bit cheaper than towns closer to the metro area and still has more of a small town feel rather than an overgrown suburb like you get with places like Tualatin. It's one of those All-American type small towns that does big 4th of July parades and that sort of thing. Has a couple breweries and restaurants and grocery stores so most of what you need locally without having to drive into Wilsonville or Portland. Not quite as upscale as Camas but may well get there in the future.
Interestingly, when we were looking to relocate to this area as retirees, we gave great consideration to Canby, Silverton, Camas/Washougal, Ridgefield. Ridgefield won out because we found the right house at the right time. We also considered Oregon City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 10:33 AM

25 posts, read 12,550 times
Hi Jane,

What do you like about Ridgefield??It is so interesting the different things folks look for.

kh

Old 12-09-2018, 09:25 PM

347 posts, read 265,594 times
KH....we are still able to get the small town feel in Ridgefield, despite the rapid growth. We love the local library. It is rare to go downtown to our very small downtown area and not run in to someone we know. We live in a neighborhood (development) about 1/2 mile odd Hillhurst. Far enough to stay pretty quiet. When we first moved here we were afraid it would turn into a retirement area, but our small development has had a baby boom. It takes us a while to get to a grocery store, but that should change next Spring when Rosaers moves in. We often find ourselves heading north to Woodland and La Center for some services. South to Salmon Creek for others. We can chose our travel hours to get to Portland to see kids and grandkids.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:23 AM

366 posts, read 261,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khuselid View Post
Is there a quaint downtown that is active for retired folks? Been to downtown Vancouver but it seems sad and depressed. Are there other small towns in southern Wa we should be looking at?

We would like to be able to walk to local stores and ride our bikes when we can. We don't want to be isolated. Our budget max is 700K
Sorry I've missed this (down in CA for the month) What part of downtown do you think is sad or depressed? Its no Saratoga or Aptos (or Pearl or Alberta) nor is it close to the cost of any of these places but quickly getting there. Downtown Vancouver was a total dive 7+ years ago, even when we purchased (5 yrs) it was pretty shady but it was very inexpensive too for what you get. A real town, with a major city within a bike ride (8 miles to downtown) Where else can you get a house for under ($400K now) ($200K 5 years ago) in a walk-able town on the West Coast?

Our downtown is thriving due to people fleeing high costs of Portland, Seattle, and California. With globalization many people no longer have to go into an office, so why live in any state with income tax? Retiree's flock here for this reason.

Downtown still is being built and rebuilt, it has come a long way and I see it becoming very special. If you watch the housing market you will see our rural areas having major price drops (good for my in-laws that are looking for rural) but downtown proper continues to rise in price (not great for my property tax, but good for equity) Just this month two houses in my area sold private party, not even listed. One near 600K and the other 750K, who would have ever thought! Its pretty obvious from the sales and tight market our downtown is drawing someones attention.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 AM

77,945 posts, read 69,907,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khuselid View Post
Thanks all. We are looking for a 'small town feel' and the ability to walk to restaurants etc. Neighborhoods in Portland do offer that and we do really like the Richmond area as well as Sellwood, but then so does everyone else!!

Are there towns in Southern Washington like that?? Small with a walkable downtown that has things old hippies would enjoy?? We want to be part of a community as well and know that is pretty impossible in the burbs. staying out of the car and walking or using our bikes or public transport a plus!

Thanks, Kim
OP, Camas was suggested. Have you followed up on that suggestion? It looked like a good one. I followed up, here are the results of my first search. I was wondering about climate in Camas. This link says it's cloudy 8 months of the year. Gets plenty of rain, which these days is a good thing. Summers are clear, dry, and not too hot, according to this. No indication as to whether heat waves are increasing in number or duration, as in Seattle.
https://weatherspark.com/y/778/Avera...tes-Year-Round

Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,393 posts, read 39,713,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, Camas was suggested. Have you followed up on that suggestion? It looked like a good one. ... I was wondering about climate in Camas. This link says it's cloudy 8 months of the year. Gets plenty of rain, which these days is a good thing. Summers are clear, dry, and not too hot, according to this. No indication as to whether heat waves are increasing in number or duration, as in Seattle.
yes...
1) 200 days / yr of some portion of the day in cloud cover +/-
2) Average precip ~40" (Same as my Hill Country TX location)
3) My WA home is 12 miles from Camas and I get 2x their precip (higher elevation), but more clear days (wind... LOTS of wind, but less wind than where I grew up in Wyoming)

Summers, great for fresh berries and salmon (daily) and LONG days of sunlight. (A good thing as you MUST get your winter prep done FAST (7 cords firewood / yr... roof patching, drainage systems, fix farm roads and culverts, put up hay...))

Heat / dry..
Cyclical but troublesome, this raging wildfire in 2017 got within 15 miles of Camas / Washougal, but fortunately the winds changed. *hint... if rural, / urban interface... implement "Defensible Space"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Creek_Fire
https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...vECmYQ_AUIDygC

Overall, a very decent retirement option if you have plenty of indoor hobbies or don't mind drizzle.

If you are a lap swimmer... keep looking.

Corvallis / McMinnville / Mt Hood Community College have 50m pools

I do not know of a 50m public lap pool in SWWA.

Stevenson is worth a look (They have a 25y pool that reopened for laps)

limited (but CHEAP) Public transit is possible between Stevenson and Vancouver. (Fisher Transit Center)

Old 12-11-2018, 04:57 PM

77,945 posts, read 69,907,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
yes...
1) 200 days / yr of some portion of the day in cloud cover +/-
2) Average precip ~40" (Same as my Hill Country TX location)
3) My WA home is 12 miles from Camas and I get 2x their precip (higher elevation), but more clear days (wind... LOTS of wind, but less wind than where I grew up in Wyoming)

Summers, great for fresh berries and salmon (daily) and LONG days of sunlight. (A good thing as you MUST get your winter prep done FAST (7 cords firewood / yr... roof patching, drainage systems, fix farm roads and culverts, put up hay...))

Heat / dry..
Cyclical but troublesome, this raging wildfire in 2017 got within 15 miles of Camas / Washougal, but fortunately the winds changed. *hint... if rural, / urban interface... implement "Defensible Space"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Creek_Fire
https://www.google.com/search?q=colu...vECmYQ_AUIDygC

Overall, a very decent retirement option if you have plenty of indoor hobbies or don't mind drizzle.

If you are a lap swimmer... keep looking.

Corvallis / McMinnville / Mt Hood Community College have 50m pools

I do not know of a 50m public lap pool in SWWA.

Stevenson is worth a look (They have a 25y pool that reopened for laps)

limited (but CHEAP) Public transit is possible between Stevenson and Vancouver. (Fisher Transit Center)
Lots of info! Thank you (on behalf of anyone interested in the area). But could you tell us, if the summers are really as cool, relatively, as the climate charts indicate? Is the summer weather in the 70's much of the time, with some periods in the low-to-mid 80's? No 90's, except just now and then? Or have there been long hot spells, in the last couple of years?

Old 12-11-2018, 07:42 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,308,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Lots of info! Thank you (on behalf of anyone interested in the area). But could you tell us, if the summers are really as cool, relatively, as the climate charts indicate? Is the summer weather in the 70's much of the time, with some periods in the low-to-mid 80's? No 90's, except just now and then? Or have there been long hot spells, in the last couple of years?
Hey Ruth! Good to see you over here. We actually spent some time in Camas/Vancouver this past summer during August toward the end of the month and it was glorious (70s). However, they did get several heatwaves in July and August each consisting of ~5-7 days in a row of 90s. Here are the actual numbers from weather.com:

-- https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/98607:4:US

When I asked during the summer most indicated they prefer to have some form of air conditioning for times such as these even if limited to this peak time of the year. The good news is it is not prolonged like places in inland CA such as the Central Valley, for example. I'm not sure if this year was indicative of prior years. But outside the heatwaves it doesn't seem too bad (70s, 80s). The bigger problem than heat was the smoke from all of the fires this past summer, some smoke coming all the way down from Canada. We also just missed that cycle.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-11-2018 at 07:52 PM..

Old 12-11-2018, 08:47 PM

21,568 posts, read 14,187,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Battle Ground might be an option as you have no school district concerns. There are a number of developments, including several 55+, that would place you within walking distance of restaurants/bars/shopping and still tries to hold on to its small town charm despite the suburban sprawl.

The new Vancouver waterfront development apartments/condos/senior living options might be a contender for you. A bit lower energy that Portland, but you'd be right there on the river with a lot of new development going in. Walking distance to the Saturday farmer's market at Esther Short park. And even within easy biking distance of downtown Portland across the bridge.
https://thewaterfrontvancouverusa.com/residential/
This-Vancouver waterfront. Downtown Vancouver definitely has a small town feel. You might have to drive for groceries, however. There is also more crime there, I am told.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 PM

2,838 posts, read 3,945,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This-Vancouver waterfront. Downtown Vancouver definitely has a small town feel. You might have to drive for groceries, however. There is also more crime there, I am told.
The most "Portlandish" neighborhood in Vancouver is probably the Uptown neighborhood which is along Main street just north of downtown Vancouver. It's where you'll find the most breweries, food truck pods, restaurants and amenities most like the typical east side Portland neighborhood: Here's the google street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.6388...7i13312!8i6656

We have friends who live down there a block or two off main in an old historic bungalow much like you find in Portland and they love it. Houses down there go for serious coin because it is the most Portland-feeling neighborhood in Vancouver. You are a couple of years too late if you want to get into this area cheap:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...89508810_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal.../23232893_zpid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area