Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 01:34 PM

8,179 posts, read 16,586,533 times

Advertisements

I've been watching the Vancouver weather pretty closely throughout the four seasons. Although it seems like it definitely gets cold enough to snow during winter months especially at night, the days typically warm to above freezing (~40s). That combo is closer to what I remember spring being like while living in CO. Of course in CO it can snow almost any month out of the year due to more erratic weather patterns along the continental divide.

Is it similar to spring condition at ski resorts where it can snow at night and then becomes slushy during the day due to above freezing temps? Maybe a combo of slush, rain and ice?

In CO we had to winterize our pipes and sprinkler systems, etc... to avoid broken pipes due to the freeze. Is there a similar 'winterize' process needed in Vancouver? Just curious.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 03:21 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,601,018 times
No local snow this year so far. The mountains have had occasional dustings but nothing serious. A couple of weeks ago I went up cross county skiing to the snow park on the Wind River Highway above Carson and there was about 18" of snow on the ground so still skiiable but below average. The snow pack in the cascades is all well below normal but the ski areas are open.

Here I just pull the hoses off my outdoor faucets and cover them with the little foam insulating covers. That's about it. I could drain and winterize my in-ground sprinkler system but I haven't ever bothered. I'm not sure how many people actually do that.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:46 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,563,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
In CO we had to winterize our pipes and sprinkler systems, etc... to avoid broken pipes due to the freeze. Is there a similar 'winterize' process needed in Vancouver? Just curious.

No. Simply remove the outdoor hoses and cover the faucets with an insulated faucet protector, cost a few dollars at most. If you leave for vacation in winter, leave the house thermostat set at 60 Fahrenheit for peace of mind. You can and will run into problems if you leave for several months in the winter and completely turn off the heat (a neighbor did this, they did have a burst pipe and a major flood upon return).

Old 02-04-2019, 11:17 AM

17,133 posts, read 11,974,145 times
There were some early morning flurries around here at a little bit of elevation. But yeah nothing to speak of, it's been far too warm(and dry too) this year.

Couple years ago we got about a foot of snow in one storm which was nice. Typical year just seems to be a few dustings if anything. Though the Columbia can be a snow/ice dividing line. Sometimes we'll get significant snow while Portland gets encased in ice.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:01 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,601,018 times
Camas schools were closed today due to inclement weather. Must have been snow or ice on Livingston Mountain because there was nothing here on Prune Hill and Evergreen Schools are operating as normal

Old 02-04-2019, 02:43 PM

315 posts, read 115,219 times
Getting our first flakes and probably first accumulations of the season today, actually. More likely coming in the next week.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,950,474 times
We are getting our first just now, as I am writing this post. I can’t imagine it will stick, however. I think there might be more snow forecast for next week, although that forecast is so far ahead who knows if it will be accurate.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:16 PM

467 posts, read 520,919 times
No snow in Ridgefield yet, but the temp is dropping and the wind is picking up.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,605 posts, read 57,568,971 times
I've had snow for over 24 hrs (since 9pm Sunday night) ~ 4" overnight, still snowing (not heavy). Was a very pretty day.

Snow Level dropped to about 300' during the day. (nothing serious)

I see 20F temps and snow for the coming weekend. (7-10 Feb)

Some of our biggest snows have come after Valentine's Day.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:01 PM

8,179 posts, read 16,586,533 times
I just read about Seattle getting hit hard today and was surprised by the depth in some of the photos. All the schools closed including UW.

https://www.king5.com/video/news/loc...ed?jwsource=cl

Some major spin outs in the hilly section around Queen Anne: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/sdo...more/914277763

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area