Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 07:22 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am wondering what types of fruits and vegetables are commonly growing in one's own backyard? For example, are there certain fruit trees that survive well or even thrive? We always hear of Washington apples, for example. What about lemon trees or other options for one's backyard? Obviously more warm weather tropical fruits are out. I've heard the soils can be problematic in parts. Yet look at all of the native trees! Add in lots of rain and it would seem like some things could still thrive.

BTW, I'm speaking of residential homes with standard suburban lots vs. acres of farmland. In that case is attempting to grown fruit or vegetables more problematic than its worth? I'll also mention we're not really natural growers nor do we have green thumbs. Though we could learn if worth it.

Regarding flowering plants, I noticed lots of rhododendron in Oregon. But I didn't see as many in Vancouver neighborhoods. Is that because they are harder to grow there? Are there other flowering plants which thrive better in Vancouver neighborhoods?

Thanks,

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 07:37 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
For shrubs...Rhodies and Azaleas should both do great in Vancouver. Also hydrangeas and lilacs
Bulbs do great here, even big showy things like Dahlias. Some will pull dahlias in for winter so they don't freeze. Roses do OK if you put them in a spot where they don't stay damp... or they can get some spot mold. Annuals like geraniums and petunias... and especially impatiens where it's shady, all do well.

Fruit trees... Apples, pears. cherries, plums... I would not put a lot of hope in anything citrus up here.

Your typical backyard vegetable garden fare... Lettuce, beans, peas, even corn will do great here in summer if they have enough full sun and you will need to water.

We have a fairly small garden... I love to grow sunflowers and corn.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:55 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,723,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hello,

I am wondering what types of fruits and vegetables are commonly growing in one's own backyard? For example, are there certain fruit trees that survive well or even thrive? We always hear of Washington apples, for example. What about lemon trees or other options for one's backyard? Obviously more warm weather tropical fruits are out. I've heard the soils can be problematic in parts. Yet look at all of the native trees! Add in lots of rain and it would seem like some things could still thrive.

BTW, I'm speaking of residential homes with standard suburban lots vs. acres of farmland. In that case is attempting to grown fruit or vegetables more problematic than its worth? I'll also mention we're not really natural growers nor do we have green thumbs. Though we could learn if worth it.

Regarding flowering plants, I noticed lots of rhododendron in Oregon. But I didn't see as many in Vancouver neighborhoods. Is that because they are harder to grow there? Are there other flowering plants which thrive better in Vancouver neighborhoods?

Thanks,

Derek

I think rhododendrons are a little dated or out of style these days. They were huge for my mother's generation in the 60s and 70s but these days I think the trend is more towards more naturalistic landscaping. They grow fine in Vancouver but evergreens, ornamental grasses, and more ornamental trees like japanese maples and dogwoods seem more popular. The Portland side has a lot of much older neighborhoods so perhaps that's why you see more rhododendrons. Just a guess. They really pop in late spring when they bloom then the rest of the year they are kind of "meh" green shrubs that tend to get kind of gangly.

Most citrus trees won't survive the occasional hard freezes so if you want to grow lemons I'd do it in large planters on wheels that you can wheel indoors. Plants that like really hot summers such as crape myrtles or oleander aren't going to do well.

Apples, cherries, grapes, and berries all grow extremely well. Espalier apple trees are popular for smaller lots. https://portlandnursery.com/fruits/espaliered-fruit/

If you move here, do some research before committing to a big landscape project. Do lots of walking around more upscale neighborhoods in Portland and Vancouver and take lots of photos of stuff you like. Visit the local nuseries and botanical gardens. Portland Nursery (2 locations in SE Portland) seems to have the most extensive selections of northwest-appropriate plants and by far the biggest selections of native plants. At least from what I've seen. The nurseries I've seen in Camas and Vancouver seem to have more generic nursery stock but are often cheaper. Powell's books has the biggest selection of landscaping and gardening books on the planet I think.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Local stuff is best found from the Clark County Extension test plots (Hazel Dell / Heritage farm)
https://extension.wsu.edu/clark/master-gardeners/

Tree fruit / berries...: Home - Home Orchard Society

I spent many years with both organizations. We had over 50 varieties of fruit and berries on our u-pick farm near WSU extension. (Pleasant Valley is another really rich soil region)

Local Lore... do NOT plant before the snow is off Silver Star Mtn.
I just use May 10 - 15 as first starts
Be sure to plant rows North and south (better sun throughout the day)
For transplants / new plantings do it early in the AM or late in evening (avoid mid-day shock / heat).

Blueberries are very EZ and hardy and pretty in Fall. We bought 80 yr old plants ~ 6 ft tall. That was 28 yrs ago, and we got another 300# yield off them this yr. (as usual)

Lemon tree will need to live indoors 9 months / yr.

Tree fruit is iffy, but Vancouver, WA was Prune capital of the world in WW1. (Italian plums do well)
Our Cherries (sweet and tart), early apples and pears did best consistently. Stone fruit will have problems with oozing sap, then get diseased.

*You can take a 1 hr trip to Hood River and bring home a 300# bin of apples a LOT cheaper and faster than pruning, spraying, thinning, spraying, picking...

Clark County is still under Apple Maggot Quarantine. https://agr.wa.gov/plantsinsects/ins...uarantine.aspx

Old 01-14-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

*You can take a 1 hr trip to Hood River and bring home a 300# bin of apples a LOT cheaper and faster than pruning, spraying, thinning, spraying, picking...

Clark County is still under Apple Maggot Quarantine. https://agr.wa.gov/plantsinsects/ins...uarantine.aspx
This:

It actually takes a lot of chemicals applied at precise intervals to keep your cherries and apples free of worms around here. Let the pros worry about the cultivation. If you have apples and aren't precise about pesticide application you'll have wormy apples.

We also go out to Hood River for apples (I like this place https://mthoodfruit.com/ ) but there are many places. I buy up about 500 lbs of cider apples which are just all the 2nds that they toss in mixed bins and sell for 1/2 price. We make a lot of cider and use up the rest for cooking, canning, and fresh fruit. Hood River is glorious in early October during apple season.

For cherries we go down to a u-pick place in the Salem area and pick a couple hundred pounds which we pit and freeze and use up fresh eating. It's an old farm next door to where my dad grew up that is still in operation. He just calls me when the cherries are peak.

In the home garden I plant stuff that is easy to grow in this climate and hard to find or expensive in local stores. Like snow peas, zucchini and other squash, basil and other herbs, lettuces, tomatoes, etc. I don't bother growing things that are always cheap and available like carrots, potatoes, and onions because what is the point.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I think rhododendrons are a little dated or out of style these days. They were huge for my mother's generation in the 60s and 70s but these days I think the trend is more towards more naturalistic landscaping. They grow fine in Vancouver but evergreens, ornamental grasses, and more ornamental trees like japanese maples and dogwoods seem more popular. The Portland side has a lot of much older neighborhoods so perhaps that's why you see more rhododendrons. Just a guess. They really pop in late spring when they bloom then the rest of the year they are kind of "meh" green shrubs that tend to get kind of gangly.
Now even shrubs are trendy or dated? Really? What's funny about this is saying people are going for more naturalistic landscaping... like ornamental grasses (not native) and Japanese maples...

Rhodies are native here in the PNW. THATS naturalistic.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Now even shrubs are trendy or dated? Really? What's funny about this is saying people are going for more naturalistic landscaping... like ornamental grasses (not native) and Japanese maples...

Rhodies are native here in the PNW. THATS naturalistic.
I agree with you frankly. Rhodies are native, although the highly developed strains sold around here are hardly what one finds in the wild. And a lot of evergreens and grasses popular today are actually of Asian origin.

I'm just saying that it seems to me that the aestetic has changed and rhodies don't seem to be the look that a lot of homeowners and landscapers are looking for anymore. Judging by what I see planted in newer subdivisions. It's not because they don't grow well here.

And yes, plants do get dated and go out of style. My grandmother used to raise large beds of purple irises in her front yard. Like Van Gogh's garden. And lots and lots of roses. Surrounded by a tidy white picket fence. How many people do that anymore? Drive through any subdivision built in the last 15 years and tell me how many irises you see. Or rose bushes. Not many I'm guessing.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:49 AM

467 posts, read 525,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
This:

It actually takes a lot of chemicals applied at precise intervals to keep your cherries and apples free of worms around here. Let the pros worry about the cultivation. If you have apples and aren't precise about pesticide application you'll have wormy apples.
When we lived in Wenatchee, "Apple Capital of the World", we were surrounded by apple, pear, cherry orchards. Residents were highly discouraged from planting fruit bearing trees in their yard. If they did, they have to spray with the pesticides that the local orchards are sprayed with. Otherwise, they are a breeding ground just ready to wipe out someone's orchard.

I used to love to tend a garden full of vegetables. It took me a long time to discover that when my garden was ready to harvest, everything was very cheap at the grocery store and vegetable/fruit stands. Everybody's garden comes in at the same time, so you can't even give away your abundance to your neighbors. Here in Clark County we have a talented gardener across the street who has a lovely yard and vegetable garden. There is a standing joke that when Susie's zucchini is ready, lock the door and pull the blinds.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:56 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
In just a couple raised garden beds in the back yard we grew zucchini, carrots, celery, potatoes, grapes, tomatoes, etc.

Man do zucchini love it here. Naturally deter slugs which is nice. Just 2 zucchini starts were producing more than we could possibly consume that season. That and celery will grow right through winter if it's a mild one without hard frosts.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
We planted rhodies in our front and back. We also have planted hollies and hydrangeas. I have English bluebells in the ground, and can’t wait for them to make an appearance. I gave up on hostas which should do well here, but the slugs adore them, and I can’t keep them away, so I’ve only kept one.

I have daylilies and roses, shastas and one coneflower. I grow violets and ferns and herbs.

Evergreens do well here, obviously, and they can become quite tall.

Some neighbors grow banana trees in their yards, but I doubt a lemon tree would survive our winters. You would need a greenhouse.

As far as fruit, berries are obvious. I do see wild apples at roadsites, so surely they would be fine. But we have great access to fresh fruits and veggies at several local Farmers’ Markets in this area. The Vancouver Farmers’ Market should start up again in late March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area