Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:33 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We are in NE. Our water tastes like chlorine. One of the first things I did after moving here was to buy a Brita water pitcher. I think the filtered water is still awful.
We run all our drinking water through a reverse osmosis filtration system because it is so metallic and tastes nasty. The resultant water tastes great. Depending on where we buy a home in Vancouver, we may purchase another similar system. Those Brita pitchers were simply not enough to cut the bad taste and smell.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 10:29 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Well, you'll definitely want one if you end up somewhere between 205, NE 28th and the border.

Quote:
Any idea where Fisher's Landing gets its water from?

I want to say the big water tank on Prune Hill. Please don't trust me on that.

BTW, the water at Shari's on 164th & Macgillvray is awful, in fact it's bad all along the SE 164th avenue corridor has always been my experience, from going to restaurants there. I wonder if they get Prune Hill water or from the same tank mine is from.

On the other hand I spent a lot of time as a kid with my best friend at weekends at his grandmother's house at Vista Del Rio and their water was always excellent. They are (or were in the mid 90s when I was there last) on a private well so it would be. The place was built in the early 70s when all the surrounding area was farmland, and was all unincorporated Clark County (Camas address) so there was no municipal water there from anywhere.

Last edited by Ttark; 01-19-2019 at 11:52 PM..

Old 01-20-2019, 12:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I guess that is something else to check when you shop for houses in this area. Bring a waterbottle and take water samples, or at least taste what comes out of the tap! If I ever shop for homes again that will be on my checklist.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:43 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I guess that is something else to check when you shop for houses in this area. Bring a waterbottle and take water samples, or at least taste what comes out of the tap! If I ever shop for homes again that will be on my checklist.
Yes, although we can make it work with filtration like we do now, it would be nice to not need it. We're actually running 'three' water treatment systems currently. Two were already installed when we moved in:
1. Whole house filter
2. Softener
3. Reverse Osmosis

I will say once they're in and working properly, we really don't think about it much. At least until it's time to change filters. So its not as big of deal when considering other factors that are harder to change like poor location, layout, not enough space, not enough natural lighting, etc...

Derek

Old 01-20-2019, 03:18 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, although we can make it work with filtration like we do now, it would be nice to not need it. We're actually running 'three' water treatment systems currently. Two were already installed when we moved in:
1. Whole house filter
2. Softener
3. Reverse Osmosis

I will say once they're in and working properly, we really don't think about it much. At least until it's time to change filters. So its not as big of deal when considering other factors that are harder to change like poor location, layout, not enough space, not enough natural lighting, etc...

Derek
Back in Texas I installed one of the under-the-sink reverse osmosis filters that improved our drinking water to the point that it was easily drinkable.

Here in Camas it is fine. I don't do anthing with it at all. We do have the filter system built into the refigerator door and the kids tend to use it to fill up their water bottles. It is just a cartridge filter and I'm not sure if it actually has an effect. I don't bother because it comes out slow and just use the sink.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I use these guys for my TX systems (I see they have a $20 west coast surcharge, so can probably find same products for less on west coast)

https://www.affordablewater.us/

Old 01-20-2019, 06:49 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Have lived in BG, southeast(right behind Mill Plain Target), and now north right on five corners/brush prairie/Orchards intersection and water has been great at each.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:44 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I have built or modified a lot of water systems for work.
These were municipal and all the drinking waters like Arrowhead,Calistoga in CA
Bad water just makes me mad.
I went to school in Alabama and the water tasted like sulpher.
If you have chlorinated water taste it will taste much better after a couple days in a pitcher.
It just evaporates.
I would be more concerned with hard water.
That stuff is just nasty.
It leaves that lime or whatever build up everywhere.
If you get a water softener you would need a dedicated line to your ice maker or hot water dispenser.
This is to protect people with health issues like that are on dialysis or have similar requirements.
We are really fortunate that our well pumps great tasting water.
It’s like spring water and leaves no water spots.
One way to know an aspect ( the hardness) of your water quality is how long you and your neighbors water heater lasts.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:11 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Yeah came from Ohio where we had really hard water. If you didn’t run a softener you would kill your dishwasher in a year. Thankfully not a problem here. Water that has been softened tastes disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area