Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 08:08 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You did not get your vaccines in school w/o parental permission 20+ years ago. How do I know? I have worked in the immunization program of various health departments since the 1970s. Even in 1970, the vast majority of vaccines were given in infancy/toddlerhood with a booster before kindergarten entry. In the early 90s (now 25 years ago) states were adding a 2nd MMR and Hepatitis B vaccine to the schedule for 6/7th grade entry, also Hepatitis B and we did go into the schools specifically to give those vaccines. We got parental consent. Just because you don't remember it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I don't know what you mean by regularly, MMR is only given once and Hep B is a 3 dose series over 6 months.

The vaccine given to 6 month olds is the same vaccine given everyone else. It's just that infants under a year don't develop as good of immunity to it, that's why it has to be repeated after age 1. Anyone who reached adulthood without contracting measles or getting vaccinated should get vaccinated. Yes, the unvaccinated of whatever age are at risk, though if over age 1, most can take care of that by getting vaccinated. Unvaccinated pregnant women are at risk and can't get vaccinated, as well as those who have true medical exemptions for the vaccine, plus those few for whom the vaccine doesn't take. (~7% after one shot, 3% after two)

It is hard to understand. Since vaccines do not cause autism, that is not a reason to avoid them. The whole line of thinking that goes with the autism belief is faulty.

I agree. The Colorado Department of Health does have rules about flu vaccination for health care workers.

You are correct. Years ago, I worked with teen moms and figured out it was fear of needles that kept them from getting their babies vaccinated. (They were on Medicaid and the vaccines were available to them for free, money was not an issue.) Just recently, this was validated.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...cination-rates

Jacobson vs Massachusetts, 1905, SCOTUS. Never overturned.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobson_v._Massachusetts

Your husband could get a titer (a test to see if he has antibodies) or he could just get an MMR. It won't hurt him if he is immune.

<snip>

The incubation period for measles until rash appears is 7-21 days, average 14. You are contagious for about 4 days before the rash begins. The "prodrome" before the rash consists of fever, cough, runny nose and pinkeye. You are correct that many people think their kid has "just a cold" and send them to school, day care, take them to activities and restaurants while they are contagious.
I grew up in Colorado and remember us all getting vaccines in elementary school. I believe it was for measles because I later learned I have an unusually high resistance, which it was speculated I was double-vaccinated (as a baby, then in school). We were all lined up and they used a machine-like needle. This would have been the 70s. Maybe there was an outbreak at the time that prompted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 08:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I grew up in Colorado and remember us all getting vaccines in elementary school. I believe it was for measles because I later learned I have an unusually high resistance, which it was speculated I was double-vaccinated (as a baby, then in school). We were all lined up and they used a machine-like needle. This would have been the 70s. Maybe there was an outbreak at the time that prompted it.
Yes, it's possible there was an outbreak. I have lived here in CO since 1980; I do remember health dept. people going into the schools to give measles shots in the 1989 outbreak. The current recommendation is for two shots, so that doesn't explain your issue. It may be something completely unique to you!

Old 02-01-2019, 09:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
Strange. When I was growing up (20+ years ago), the rate had to be a pretty darn close to 100%! We actually got all our vaccinations done in a sorta assembly line at school, no parent consent required... nobody even thought that you could decline! (Even though I regularly passed out from one of them... but that was almost fun)

But then again, all this antivaxx craziness is relatively recent... still, only 50%??
Well, the article technically says "vaccination schedule". not necessarily not getting vaccinations at all.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:37 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,723,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

Those were air-injection machines. If it was mid-1970s it was probably the swine flu campaign in 1976 which was nationwide and just that one year. I remember that too in elementary school in Eugene. I would have been in 6th grade. They used these things:

Old 02-02-2019, 11:26 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
My kids, all born in the seventies had their vaccinations done at the pediatrician’s office.

I remember being startled when I learned my youngest woukd be getting a mumps shot. Both the two oldest had had the mumps. But they all got the measles shots. I can’t remember if the youngest ever had chicken pox though.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:17 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,723,606 times
I'm sure there are others who are more expert on this than me. But I googled up several sites on the history of vaccinations in this country and apparently mass innoculations of school children had more or less ceased by 1972. After that point it was pretty much all handled through ordinary primary care clinics rather than in schools. The one big exception was the swine flu epidemic in 1976 which was something of a fiasco for a variety of reasons. So those of us who remember lining up and getting shots in schools in the 1970s, it was probably that flu vaccine which was a one-time thing and has never been repeated.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:35 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
I had measles as a 6 month old baby in 1949. Chicken pox a month later. I can remember when the measles vax came out when I was in HS, they came to our NYC schools. "Raise your hand if you have had Measles". Not many teens said they hadn't, and passed us all by for the vaccinations. Do you think we should have been given that vaccination anyway?

All I can say to you people is that growing up I had been around many kids, before and after they showed symptoms of measles, and never caught it again.

When you talk about Vaccinated Herd Immunity, health officials never mention that is all about IMMUNITY, not necessarily vaccinated Herd Immunity. There are millions of us out there, including all those recently infected with measles, who are now contributing to your Herd Immunity WITHOUT being vaccinated for these diseases. We are your
parents, grandparents, and everyone else in the very recent past who have come down with Measles, survived, and cannot catch it AGAIN, or spread to anyone else.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:36 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I'm sure there are others who are more expert on this than me. But I googled up several sites on the history of vaccinations in this country and apparently mass innoculations of school children had more or less ceased by 1972. After that point it was pretty much all handled through ordinary primary care clinics rather than in schools. The one big exception was the swine flu epidemic in 1976 which was something of a fiasco for a variety of reasons. So those of us who remember lining up and getting shots in schools in the 1970s, it was probably that flu vaccine which was a one-time thing and has never been repeated.
There was no Swine Flu Epidemic in 1976. Look it up. All a fiasco to promote flu shots. I was an adult working for a Big Pharm back then.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:40 PM

147 posts, read 150,697 times
I was vaccinated in middle school for a second MMR shot in 1988 or 89 in Canada. They lined us up at school but I imagine they had parental consent. We had a local outbreak and I guess most of us had only had one shot, not the two they now recommend.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I'd like to see your links. I can't find anything, and I'm pretty good about finding IZ information on Google. I went to school in the 1950s/60s, college in the late 60s/early 70s and graduated in 1970. At no time during that period do I recall any mass immunizations in any school I attended.

I've seen people posting these fond memories of such clinics, and I don't know what they're talking about! As I said, most vaccines are supposed to be given in infancy. When the oral polio vaccine first came out in the early 60s, local governments, medical societies, etc sponsored some vaccination clinics that took place on Sundays, some at schools. They were called "Sabin (for the inventor of the vaccine) Sundays". I think that's what people are remembering. Plus, growing up in the Pittsburgh area, people from somewhere came in and gave us TB skin tests at school. That is not a vaccine.
Medicine: Wiping Out Polio - TIME
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area