Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 01:06 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times

Advertisements

It was a beautiful weekend. Was out in a t-shirt washing the car and fired up the grill this weekend. Just warm enough for that in the sun, chilly in the shade.

Reminds me of when we took our scouting trip out here in February several years ago. Was expecting rain and gloom and it was bright and sunny. Then the couple days that it was rainy and gloomy while we were here we were up exploring Seattle where it was sunny. So never really experienced the gloom until we got here.

While certainly not unheard of to have the occasional sun breaks, this winter has been abnormally dry/sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 06:50 PM

381 posts, read 248,642 times
I hate the east winds. The humidity is on similar levels to Denver and Phoenix. The weather is nice, and the sunshine pretty to look at, until you have to go outside and get blasted by those bone dry east winds and 40 degree weather. Makes your eyes burn and lips chapped.

It's way too cold for March. Looking forward to warmer temps with more moisture!

Old 03-08-2019, 09:51 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I saw the very first daffodils blooming yesterday by the side of 18th ST. I see them blooming every year. My daffs are only up a few inches.

I am wishing for some sun.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I saw the very first daffodils blooming yesterday by the side of 18th ST. I see them blooming every year. My daffs are only up a few inches.

We had sun this week (sunny, 21F and 65mph winds) only 20 miles away from 18th.

Crocus was emerging, but doubt they liked the cool breeze.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:26 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

crocuses starting to bloom on my street. I think the flowers along the streets sometimes come up faster because the dark pavement absorbs more heat and they get more direct sun then most foundation plantings around houses or under trees.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:20 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Is it me or has there been an exceptional amount of hail storms in the past month or so. Much more than I recall from prior years and intense enough to accumulate on the roads. Just relatively small hailstones compared to what you can see in the Midwest or southeast.

Last edited by notnamed; 03-09-2019 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-09-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Is it me or has there been an exceptional amount of hail storms in the past month or so. Much more than I recall from prior years and intense enough to accumulate on the roads. Just relatively small hailstones compared to what you can see in the Midwest or southeast.
There's been about a half-dozen this winter so far I think. Usually in the rock salt size range so trivial. I've been in hailstorms in Texas where you fear for your vehicle and find a bridge to park under. We never get that sort of thing here to my knowledge.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:53 PM

First day of spring today. Temperature hit 75 (at least by the display in my car). In just one day all the flowering plums along 164th are now blooming and the air was crystal clear with all the mountains out.

I expect we'll see at least one more cold snap. But today was a glorious first day of spring.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:22 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,633 times
I agree. It was beautiful.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:35 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
Our development in Ridgefield has boulevards and parkway trees. I think it might be required here. We have Armstrong Maples in the boulevard, which grow quite quickly. Developers must be required to put trees in the front yard also. All the new builds seem to have at least 2 trees and several bushes in the front yard. The new backyards have sod, bark around the perimeter. Thank heavens the irrigation systems are put in.

Keep us in touch with what your wife is liking! Is she looking in Felida, Salmon Creek, Ridgefield at all? Is she flying home today?
Trees in the front yard can be problematic, depending on where the sewer line is. Roots can grow over time to invade the sewer line. Builders don't take that into account when designing the landscaping. They landscape as an accessory, to help sell the house, not as a practical concerns. I'm not saying trees are bad; just that care needs to be taken with their placement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area