U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-07-2008, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 6,970 times

Advertisements

So I know it rains a lot in Vancouver but I read the weather can be more extreme than just rain. I read about "silver thaws" that can paralyze the city in the winter, is this true? If so, how often does this happen? Does Vancouver get snow? Do the summers get really hot like 80's, 90's? I also heard flooding was a problem? Is this true?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 PM

11,181 posts, read 18,570,078 times
silver thaw ~ once every 5 years in Vancouver proper, 12 - 24 hrs per dose... east in Washougal or NE in Yacolt where the temps are cooler maybe 1 - 3 days per year

snow about 3x- 5- frequency of thaws, but rarely more than a couple inches

summers can see ~ 5 days over 100, 80's and 90's common, but usually not terrible humidity, and nights are cool. It's not muggy more than ~5 days / yr - good time for a 2 hr trip to the coast.

Flooding not very common, but possible with high mountain snowpack and big spring rains. There is not much of Vancouver in the flood plain, but stay out of the low spots, then, no problem.

Rain is subjective.

It drizzles most of the winter, so it takes a long time to get 40+ inches / yr. Clark County Varies from 30" - 125" per yr, so pick your spot, but... the gray days are ~ equal. Just more or less volume of drizzle.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:41 PM

4,052 posts, read 13,207,284 times
I have lived a dozens places in the country and find the weather (and climate history) the most mild of anywhere but places in California. Our current location in Salmon Creek is far enough from the gorge to take the edge off windy days and at a low enough elevation that snow is not an issue.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:14 PM

470 posts, read 1,173,879 times
I'm a San Diego native. I find the weather here in Vancouver to be very livable and mild.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:24 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,390,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I have lived a dozens places in the country and find the weather (and climate history) the most mild of anywhere but places in California. Our current location in Salmon Creek is far enough from the gorge to take the edge off windy days and at a low enough elevation that snow is not an issue.
I'm not sure I follow this post. Are you saying that Vancouver is one of the more milder places? That first sentence feels like it's missing words. Call me crazy...

Old 05-07-2008, 06:30 PM

4,052 posts, read 13,207,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
I'm not sure I follow this post. Are you saying that Vancouver is one of the more milder places? That first sentence feels like it's missing words. Call me crazy...
Yes, I find the climate very mild.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:36 PM

470 posts, read 1,173,879 times
deegers -

I grew up in pretty much year round 72 degree weather in San Diego. I have had no problem acclimating to the cooler, misty weather. It's different, but not often uncomfortable. I have enjoyed it.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:26 PM

44 posts, read 127,511 times
Here is a great link to the weather averages in Vancouver, WA.

Climate and weather - All About Vancouver - City of Vancouver, Washington, USA

Old 07-11-2008, 06:57 AM

6 posts, read 16,930 times
While the Pacific NW generally has more rain and overcast days, that is one of many reasons why I have opted to call the place home. Also having deep family roots in the area also helps considering I have more relatives I have never met than friends at the current moment, and my social circle tends to be quite large wherever I go, that is saying a lot.

If you are looking for more sunny days than cloudy and over-cast days, this is definitely not the place to head, than again if you like having an on going battle with the other elements our climate brings such as black and pink mildew in places one prefers not to think about, than you might enjoy this area, not to mention other factors such as a fairly high unemployment rate. My latest possible job offer in this general area is going to mean me excepting at least a $2.00 an hour cut in pay, not to mention a demotion in the field I work, and a whole list of other factors I have had to keep in mind with my decision to return to Vancouver.

I wouldn't mind the pay cut so much except I like so many others who have the out-go in proportion to their in-come is line with I am currently making here in AZ.

To be honest, considering all the factors if it weren't for a reason involving my family and my need to return to the area, I would stay put or here in the Phoenix, AZ metro area.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:18 AM

377 posts, read 1,422,326 times
Mild is the temps. but if you love San Diego weather then dont go to Vancouevr. My Mom LOVES the rain. Me and my Father cannot stand it. We get sooo depressed.
But on the other hand staying in this types of climate you see the most beautiful skin. Here in CA (Where we are for the moment), when I go to the airport, I can always spot the NW people coming in from Portland or Seattle. Their skin glows and they look years younger then they should. I just cant stand the depression and indoors anymore.

Yes the black ice is bad there and so is the fog at night. You have to be very careful with your driving in this weather. Seems like when we got a real snow fall it didnt stay very long and usually we didnt get snow in winter. They shut schools down though when it does snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area