Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 01:31 AM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1) You may need an indoor place to ride motorcycle (we've set up an 'observed trials' course inside this shop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WncxcFWoQ
Hahaha, thanks for that extremely entertaining video but it really didn't help me with my confidence in my riding skills! It was like watching one of these:

I was thinking I was a decent rider till I have those types of videos and realized I was crap.
The ones in your video are acrobats on 2 wheels, that is some insane skills of not just riding but also balance!
They seemed to be using some type of special dirt bikes. They are probably super light too.

I have a hard time getting a proper wheelie on my heavy and also very top heavy Stelvio! My Vstrom was top heavy too with 5 gallon of gas in it but Stelvio with 8 gallon is a different animal in corners when it is full.

So, if I tried anything like that in that video, within the first 10 seconds I would either be dead or hospitalized.

Quote:
2) You may want a heated / dry spot to watch dogs play (without the mud).

Beautiful 'Colorado' day today in SWWA... sunny, 24F, 30 mph wind, 2ft of snow on the car, 4 ft drifts in the driveway. Shop is dry (and chilly 33F). Woodstove is cookin' Headed out to run the tractor for a few hours. (if it will fire up)
It has been way colder than usual down here too. Heck North parts of LA got snow even and the areas that usually get a little of it got totally covered with several feet of it.
Shop seems a bit cold, isn't it heated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2023, 01:56 PM

441 posts, read 439,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
That's insane and not changing any time soon. You seriously need to consider prefab garages which are way less expensive and get most of what you're looking for. It's certainly a better alternative than paying over the value of your entire house! That's just nuts.

https://shedsunlimited.net/collectio...b-car-garages/

Derek
That's a beautiful garage. I wish I had something like that. But we currently rent so I am stuck with a tandem garage and I barely have enough space for my workshop.

Old 04-09-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
1) You may need an indoor place to ride motorcycle (we've set up an 'observed trials' course inside this shop
If that is really your course somewhere in Vancouver, WA, I'd love to check it out when I come for a visit in May. If you weren't joking, please let me know the address!

My relocation attempt got postponed again due to my mom's surgery but at least I will be able to drive up and stay in Vancouver for about 5-6 days.
Relocation ,if all goes well, will be probably first quarter of 2024 or so.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:57 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Labor is silly $$$ right now. My few friends that remain in WA are getting $70-$140/hour for general construction and tile work, and are booked out for months.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
If that is really your course somewhere in Vancouver, WA, I'd love to check it out when I come for a visit in May. If you weren't joking, please let me know the address!

My relocation attempt got postponed again due to my mom's surgery but at least I will be able to drive up and stay in Vancouver for about 5-6 days.
Relocation ,if all goes well, will be probably first quarter of 2024 or so.
It's an indoor space we configure as needed for enjoyment and projects. I have (8) neighbors with shops / barns >5000SF, some with 4x that amount. We are ~16 - 20 miles east of 205 bridge on SR 14. Head out to Cape Horn for sunrise some morning.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/w...orn-loop-trail
https://www.visitvancouverwa.com/lis...ape-horn/2628/

While on SR14 near Cape Horn... note the aggressive 'rumble strips' (Centerline). We've lost (9) MC riders in that stretch due to mistakenly crossing centerline and losing traction. Most of them were casual riders, not aggressive. They just 'slipped-up' IIRC 4 were ladies riding their own bikes with their travel partners and just mis-interpreted the curves. I grew up running this canyon a few times / day, and have survived so far. The road is much improved after (2) 500 yr floods in 20 yrs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grLjn6KMy7M

PNW favorite similar Canyon is about 50 miles east of Vancouver (Klickitat, from Lyle to Goldendale #142) Take that on early Saturday and Sunday mornings (before 8AM if possible) You can travel it quite fast. (no guard rails!). There are a few dirt road twisty canyons in PNW that you can take fast and power slide. (when there is not traffic, or police), North of Trout Lake / Mt Adams is a good place to get away from crowds. somedays I can ride all day and not see another vehicle.

Do your drive up from CA overnight so you have more daylight in PNW.

We typically can get from Bay Area to Portland in ~10-12 hrs, so leaving at 10 PM we can arrive in time to go to work or on adventures the next morning. Last July I had to run to Santa Rosa to fetch a motorcycle, I left at midnight and was back home before midnight the next day. (That was the coastal route + 101 with a lot of construction stoplights (10 - 20 min delays))

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-09-2023 at 10:10 PM..

Old 04-10-2023, 12:44 AM

Quote:
It's an indoor space we configure as needed for enjoyment and projects. I have (8) neighbors with shops / barns >5000SF, some with 4x that amount. We are ~16 - 20 miles east of 205 bridge on SR 14. Head out to Cape Horn for sunrise some morning.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/w...orn-loop-trail
https://www.visitvancouverwa.com/lis...ape-horn/2628/

While on SR14 near Cape Horn... note the aggressive 'rumble strips' (Centerline). We've lost (9) MC riders in that stretch due to mistakenly crossing centerline and losing traction. Most of them were casual riders, not aggressive. They just 'slipped-up' IIRC 4 were ladies riding their own bikes with their travel partners and just mis-interpreted the curves. I grew up running this canyon a few times / day, and have survived so far. The road is much improved after (2) 500 yr floods in 20 yrs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grLjn6KMy7M

PNW favorite similar Canyon is about 50 miles east of Vancouver (Klickitat, from Lyle to Goldendale #142) Take that on early Saturday and Sunday mornings (before 8AM if possible) You can travel it quite fast. (no guard rails!). There are a few dirt road twisty canyons in PNW that you can take fast and power slide. (when there is not traffic, or police), North of Trout Lake / Mt Adams is a good place to get away from crowds. somedays I can ride all day and not see another vehicle.

Do your drive up from CA overnight so you have more daylight in PNW.

We typically can get from Bay Area to Portland in ~10-12 hrs, so leaving at 10 PM we can arrive in time to go to work or on adventures the next morning. Last July I had to run to Santa Rosa to fetch a motorcycle, I left at midnight and was back home before midnight the next day. (That was the coastal route + 101 with a lot of construction stoplights (10 - 20 min delays))
Cheers for all the wonderful info!

Too bad that indoor project space is not open to public...oh well.

As much as I'd have loved to ride, I'll be driving up there this time. It will be a weird mini vacation where I just wanted to get a feel for Vancouver, drive around the area while I blissfully OD on coffee!

Other than that, I have no idea what to do or where to go!

Old 04-10-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
...I'll be driving up there this time. It will be a weird mini vacation where I just wanted to get a feel for Vancouver, drive around the area while I blissfully OD on coffee!

Other than that, I have no idea what to do or where to go!
DM'd,

Very ez... just find someone to show you around (not a realtor, they'll take too much of your time, and market and offerings will be totally different when you come.) I've shown a few C-D people around, and our home is open to international guests so we tour them often. I'm sure there are zillions of people willing to do this for you.

Get a copy of events and attend as if you were living here.

Do a huge variety of interesting events (as if living here) and talk to everyone.

We always stay with locals who share our interests, so that gives you a very close look at a community, as if you were living there. (There are worldwide directories for traveling like this, it's very inexpensive, often free).

Old 04-10-2023, 09:23 PM

Quote:
DM'd,

Very ez... just find someone to show you around (not a realtor, they'll take too much of your time, and market and offerings will be totally different when you come.) I've shown a few C-D people around, and our home is open to international guests so we tour them often. I'm sure there are zillions of people willing to do this for you.

Get a copy of events and attend as if you were living here.

Do a huge variety of interesting events (as if living here) and talk to everyone.

We always stay with locals who share our interests, so that gives you a very close look at a community, as if you were living there. (There are worldwide directories for traveling like this, it's very inexpensive, often free).
Got your PM/DM, thank you, sir!

Yes, relocation is definitely delayed but even if I moved there next week, I'd still rent for a while to get the know the area while also look for a suitable neighborhood.

I was planning on taking it easy and doing more solo sightseeing but I'd not mind attending the interesting local events that I may find out about.

I could not ask anyone especially since I am not that familiar with anyone in "Vancouver" section.
Besides you the only other people that responded to me in the past, are mtnsurfer (Derek) and texasdiver.
If anyone wanted to meet for coffee or show me around, I'd not be opposed though.

Cheers,
Matt

PS. I apologize to the OP for hijacking the thread.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 04-10-2023 at 09:37 PM..

Old 04-10-2023, 10:59 PM

Just state 5-10 objectives and areas you'd like to explore or accomplish , and you'll get a lot of suggestions. Maybe we can find you a desirable garage and provide op resources to stay OT. .

Example...
Rural (<20 min to services) with open south facing view, Large garage with lots of electrical power, on paved road with NO STOPLIGHTS, and plenty of Twisties for enjoyable and exciting trips to town are tops on my list.

After July 5th and for 90 days (PNW summer) is the delightful time to visit. Early October is my favorite time, but that coincides with aspen in Rocky Mtns, and fall colors in New England+ ABQ balloon Fiesta + 2023 eclipse+ harvest festivals and Ocktoberfests.... And getting 7 cords of firewood under cover...So a busy season indeed. June can be a tad cool and wet, or not. Long days are nice, make good use of them. (Eat, sleep, shower and read between 11pm and 4am).

End of June I am involved with Chamber Music NW and youth programs(fun for me), but I have annual Must See trips to Colorado, NV, TX, and Illinois each June.)

+ Always designing and building garages / shops. Some of the large overhangs we use in Texas for shade would be nice in PNW for dry, but... Way too much wind in my PNW home. I designed 4' overhangs and contractors freaked. So far so good(no "flying nun house" yet.... Have survived many 100mph gusts.

Old 04-11-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Just state 5-10 objectives and areas you'd like to explore or accomplish , and you'll get a lot of suggestions. Maybe we can find you a desirable garage and provide op resources to stay OT. .

Example...
Rural (<20 min to services) with open south facing view, Large garage with lots of electrical power, on paved road with NO STOPLIGHTS, and plenty of Twisties for enjoyable and exciting trips to town are tops on my list.
For my short visit? Tbh, I don't think I want to accomplish hardly anything other than getting a vibe for the area, really.

I think you meant after the relocation and your recommendations were for the house hunting? If so, makes sense and I do appreciate the suggestions!

Quote:
After July 5th and for 90 days (PNW summer) is the delightful time to visit. Early October is my favorite time, but that coincides with aspen in Rocky Mtns, and fall colors in New England+ ABQ balloon Fiesta + 2023 eclipse+ harvest festivals and Ocktoberfests.... And getting 7 cords of firewood under cover...So a busy season indeed. June can be a tad cool and wet, or not. Long days are nice, make good use of them. (Eat, sleep, shower and read between 11pm and 4am).

End of June I am involved with Chamber Music NW and youth programs(fun for me), but I have annual Must See trips to Colorado, NV, TX, and Illinois each June.)

+ Always designing and building garages / shops. Some of the large overhangs we use in Texas for shade would be nice in PNW for dry, but... Way too much wind in my PNW home. I designed 4' overhangs and contractors freaked. So far so good(no "flying nun house" yet.... Have survived many 100mph gusts.
OK Roger,

We get it, you are an International Man of Mystery with a very active schedule!

I was starting to get slightly jealous there! I don't really have much of an option on when and for how long I can stay when I come up there due to family obligations. Same reason why my relocation was also delayed again.

I'd have loved to have the opportunity (aka $$$) to be able to design my own house. I am guessing it is a lot more challenging and tedious (calculation wise) than just designing one one using something like TurboCAD but I'd welcome this type of challenge with utmost enthusiasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area