Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 02:37 PM

57 posts, read 198,952 times

Advertisements

hey people!!

So ok here's the story - I have been researching like crazy on different areas of OR and WA - and have really really liked what I've found about Vancouver ....
Heres a little background on me: Right now I live in Phoenix and have grown to hate hate hate the heat! Whoever said "oh its a dry heat - you'll get used to it" - lied cuz Im still not a fan of it. Anyway I am originally from the midwest (mn/nd) - and am trying to find that happy medium weatherwise - I've had the deep freeze and the oven now I want something in the middle and from what I can read/see online Vancouver seems to fit the bill.
I dont have any kids so schools aren't a concern - Id also be moving alone -so would it be easy to meet people in Vancouver or are people not too welcoming.
I am also in the medical field so being near a good university would also be important - as I have plans of getting more advanced degrees in nursing.
Does it sound like WA would be a fit for me - or I for it? Are there any areas/cities in particular that you'd think I'd "fit" ?
I appreciate and welcome all advice!
g7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
ez to get along with folks, and to get around. Plenty of joints for medical employment, and Universities too (Portland and Vancouver). Work 'off shift' for more free time, more money and an EZ commute. (VA, SWMC, Legacy, Kaiser (kp.org), private practices and clinics; or across the river, Providence, Portland Adventist, OHSU, Good Sam, Emmanuel, St Vincent, Lifeflight...

Bring your long-johns, as it is a 'wet-cold', so 40F can be plenty chilly. It is not the bone chilling bitter stuff of MN and ND (was -28F my last trip there, and I ran the car heater FULL hot getting across ND, I made a personal record of going 106 miles without seeing another car on the freeway, then it was just one lonely UPS truck and me... 3AM, blowing snow)

You will love it here if you can take the rain. If you don't like rain, but can handle gray winters and warmer summers, try Spokane. Seattle is most medical based in WA, but very expensive and crowded. Vancouver is good happy medium, 1 hr to snow, 1.5 to beach, 5 minutes to a big river, 2 hrs to sunshine, or 5000' elevation (when you fly to CA to get sun, you get it EARLY, as soon as you pop through the clouds )

Old 10-18-2008, 07:36 AM

57 posts, read 198,952 times
janb

thank you for the helpful info - i think you have by far given me the most helpful info in just a few sentences -
my concern with spokane is that its more "deserty" like and being in AZ for the past almost 5 years - ugh! I am ready to never have to see desert again - I love the green trees etc - however Spokane would be alot closer to my family for those trips home for holidays etc ....
I have heard also Vancouver gets alot of ice storms - is this true?
Also does Spokane get alot of snow?
Your story about driving through ND at a record speed made me laugh - I know exactly what you mean! Those white out blizzards are the worst!

Old 10-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Vancouver rarely gets ice storms, probably one bad one every 5-7 yrs, but often years without (Tho we get them frequently out east in the gorge). Keep elevation low, and stay out of the gorge winds, and you will be fine.

Spokane has more snow, but not a ton, (maybe 2 weeks / month a covering, but not very often big accumulations); but much colder temps in winter, and hotter in summer. It is Gray in the winters, some folks don't like that at all. (they would rather have the warmer temps of Vancouver even if it means rain). Spokane is pretty dry and brown in comparison to Vancouver, but there are some evergreen forests, brown grass in winter (Vancouver has green grass in winter). I do like Spokane Valley (SE) and Post Falls, ID.

From Spokane, you usually have to fly to a hub terminal (SEA, Portland, SLC) to get anywhere very far, that is a hassle and expensive. Thus if ND/MN is home, it is not closer by air travel time. It is 4.5 hrs closer via car / train. Portland has very good direct air service, and a very nice airport. Direct NWA flights to MSP.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:23 PM

66 posts, read 285,956 times
I am not sure about spokane or the medical field. However, I can tell you that the weather does seem to fit what you want. I only moved out here this Sept, but I also visited for a week in Feb. The winters are wet with lots of gray skies. It doesn't down pour like a lot of areas. You just get misted on a lot. At least that was my experience in Feb. I hear it can really start to get to you. But this Sept and October has been absolutely gorgeous. Warm during the day in the Sept and cool at night. October has been a little chiller but still very nice. Very few days of rain and if it has rained the sun has come out at least for a little bit.

which i could help more.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,914 times
I moved to Vancouver from No. Cal in 2003 & moved to So. Cal (a desert area) about 2 years ago to my new husband home of 25 years. I still miss my gorgeous Cascade mountain sunrise & sunset views (from my Mt. Vista home which I still own), the rain, and the 1.25 hr away Mt. Hood ski resort. Very friendly people. Best way to meet people is to volunteer. I got into a few programs, learn a lots & made some friends. Tomorrow is election, so I'll mention this. I was a precinct captain (another volunteer work) in 2004 for one of the political parties. Vancouver was (2004) about 40+/60- Dem/GOP. Go north or more remote you get more GOP, go south to Portland, Dem is very obvious. Oh, be very aware if you can take the rain & the gray sky. 2 of my neighbors (both in their 60+) are/were from CA. One moved back down to No CA after 6 months & the other one has been struggling & wanting to move down to So CA during winter time. Really get to you physically. My house is within walking distance to WSU Vancouver which has Pre-Med & Nursing & to the new Legacy Salmon Creek Hospital. I am renting out my house & few out of state Medical professional interested in my house. Funny you mentioned that you don't have kid, my tenant is moving out because there is no kid in my immediate neighborhood. I'd rather walk or drive my kid to a neighbor's house of my choice to play with then to avoid or stuck with the next door neighbor's kid who bully mine. Go luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area